1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LANCE ZIERLEIN JOINING CHARLIE PALLILO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Aug 19, 2012.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I worry that Charlie's sense of humor will stymie Lance a bit. I mean, when Lance does *person* on a mobile and the other co-host (Matt or Adam) "interview" him it can be comedy gold. But both Matt and Wex understand the humor and play along perfectly. I'm not sure about Charlie in that regard. Then again, maybe Charlie will relish the chance to have someone to bounce off of and really infuse some fresh humor into his show again.

I swear, I get so depressed with how often Charlie has to mention how bad the Astros are. We all know they suck and no one really wants to talk about it, but he keeps mentioning it like we all somehow forgot that the team is in town. We didn't forget, we just don't want to think about it! Let us continue in our blissful silence!

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love that about Charlie and his Astros beat downs. The horrible history statistics breakdowns are great! He sounds pissed and the public should be too.

Your attitude (not judging you) is why Houston is considered a soft sports town. Instead of being mad we just ignore the team. No passion because there's no investment to our teams until they're GREAT. Not just good. The team has to be a playoff contender to get fans invested.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I think what he's actually said is there are only specific opportunities he would leave for, not that there are none.

But, he's also not some young rising stud in the radio industry. He's in his mid 40s. I think if he were going to bolt for a new opportunity he would have done it by now.

Edit: In case that sounded like an insult, I didn't mean it that way. I'm a huge Charlie fan. Intelligent sports talk is what I prefer. It's why I prefer Wex to Matt.

I think Charlie and Lance will be a good combination personally.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you could read it that way. But I don't think a desire to not have a sports radio personality repeat the same depressing information about a historically bad team every day is indicative of a lack of passion. If anything, hearing it irritates me. Were I apathetic, I probably wouldn't care much. I don't like hearing BECAUSE I care. Because I hate being reminded how bad they are.

And I wouldn't say he sounds pissed, but depressed. To me, he sounds exactly like how I feel when I have to listen to it.

5. Rockets34Legend

This is awesome freaking news. So glad Mighty Douchebag is thrown to that shift so we don't have to hear his ass anymore.

6. Rockets34Legend

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2...ing-drive-uptick-for-790-am/?replytocom=14619

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]“The Drive Home with Charlie & Lance” starts Monday 9/24 at 3pm.

That's not the only change. The station tells me it's also adding a Houston Texans post game show to the lineup. It will be hosted by the station's two resident former NFL players Greg Koch and N.D. Kalu. The show goes live the second the Texans game is over each week.

"Fans no longer have to sit through a 30-minute network post game show following the game," Clear Channel AM Operations Manager Bryan Erickson told mikemcguff.com. "They can now sound off on the game on 790 with Greg and N.D. as they’re leaving the stadium."

Here's the rest of the 790 KBME schedule:

Monday-Friday*

6a-10a The Big Show with Matt and Adam
    10a-12p In the Trenches with Koch and Kalu
    12p-3p Matt Thomas
    3p-7p The Drive Home with Charlie and Lance
    7p-9p Mighty After Dark[/rquoter]

8. K mf G

K mf G Member

i wouldnt say perfectly

9. DieHard Rocket

My guess is that Lance's characters will still call in on the Big Show and that stuff will stay mostly there...less horseplay with Charlie.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

That's how I see it as well. Lance should continue guest spotting in the morning, and maybe tone it down a bit for the drive home. That being said, even 50% of Lance in horseplay mode makes Charlie look like a stick in the mud. If Lance can keep his joking well timed and not overbearing (i.e. less is more), it could work beautifully.

11. NOLArocket

NOLArocket Member

THIS IS HUGE

Definitely have a new home for 3-7pm. This should be epic radio

12. Hammer755

Hammer755 Member

Love Charlie, love Lance ... not sure how well they'll mesh together.

13. wreck

wreck Member

Man charlie is awesome by himself, but when lance fills is its like a breath of fresh air.

I think it may work.

14. ipaman

ipaman Member

this made me LOL!!!

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How much does Kalu make working like 2hrs? I realize he is getting extended airtime but still. Just curious.

16. conquistador#11

I wish N.D and Lance could do the postgame like when it first aired after game 1. There is just something about uncle gregg that I don't like. For having played the game and being a lawyer, some of his breakdowns are crap. For example, wanting to force a passing game on the jaguars D last week.

I think mighty got screwed. He has to work 2 hours again.:p

17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Agree with the sentiment of loving them both but not really seeing how they'll fit together. Both knowledgeable but 2 EXTREMELY different personalities. Also, Charlie P is incredibly caller driven, so is he going to cut back on that to have back and forth with Lance or are they gonna tag team the calls? Time will tell, I hope it works.

18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Dylan Gwinn doing Rockets postgame shows is going to be hard to listen to. :(

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yesterday Lance commented on this by saying he would drop a T.T. Boy reference to see if CP would bite! LZ's Charlie was spot on "well, he's no Mr. Marcus!" Pffffttt!!:grin:

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I like the move. We'll see how far LZ can go on the air before CP blows a gasket. My hope is that he just pushes and pushes until CP stops him and sets a line for it. Will be fun the first couple weeks.

They are two of the smartest guys on the radio and, as I understand it, Charlie was being pushed into having a partner and said the only guy he would consider was Zierlein.