1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Berkman earns NL Player Of The Week

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by johnmvp, Apr 28, 2008.

1. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...ent_id=2604244&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Congratulations to Berkman and his fantastic start. He has earned Nation League player of the week this week and it's well deserved. He's been killing the ball lately and coming through in clutch situations. Berkman and Tejada are the core of this team and the main reason for the six game winning streak (which ended). Let's hope for another run today against the D-Backs.

2. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I was a fan of Berkman until he completely ignored me at the game last week. I work for the Astros, and I was standing where many of the players come in. We were the only ones in there, and he looked at me and didn't even crack a smile, much less say hi. I always thought he was a nice guy, but I'm hoping he was just having a bad day.

3. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

I think you would get that from any player to tell you the truth. They all are overwhelmed with rabid fans so they try to stay clear and avoid as much eye contact as possible.

The thing that most annoyed me about Berkman was his recent crying towards the organization and to the media but hoepfully that's long lost.

What do you do for the organization? (work)

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Put your big boy jeans on and get over it.

5. msn

msn Member

Was your mouth hanging open? I'm just sayin'. :D

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm going to say this in the nicest possible way...

Quit your cryin.

Does everyone that walks past you on a daily basis say "hi" or smile at you? Why should it be any different for Lance? you work there.

7. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

But he looked me right in the eye. That's why it bothered me that he didn't say anything. If he didn't look at me, I wouldn't have expected anything at all. Other players said hi to me, including Sampson, Matsui, Tejada, and some Colorado Rockies players whose names I don't even know.

I'm a guest services rep, by the way.

8. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

If you're going to look someone in the eye, which he did, it's common courtesy to at least acknowledge them, even if you don't know them. Even a nod would do. If he didn't look at me at all, I wouldn't expect anything from him. So you're saying if I were just a regular fan who doesn't work there, he would've acted differently?

Maybe it's just me, but people don't seem to care much for manners these days. The fact that people are telling me to get over it is proof of that. However, I'm sure if they were in my position, they would've felt the same way.

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

You know he probably went into the locker room and had this conversation with Brad Ausmus "You know that Guest Services Rep guy is rude. He looked me right in the eye and didn't say anything. No nod or nothing. What is with people's manners today..."

10. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

Castor, you have to much time on your hands.

11. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I know he didn't say that because I smiled at him. :)

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Lance is absolutely on fire right now. totally locked in

Ebola - judging Lance based on your "incident" is r****ded

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

The Big Puma has spoken...

14. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

Ok, so I should just let it go because he's hitting the ball well. But you're right, I shouldn't judge anyone based on first impressions. That's why I said I hope he was having a bad day.

15. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

It is a little r****ded. My first impression is that you reacted to that like a chick. I'm kinda hoping you're just having a bad day.

I know that's a smartass thing for me to say, but seriously man - how many people do you pass on a daily basis that you catch a glance in the eye from but don't exchange pleasantries? If I said hello to everyone I looked at, I'd be doing nothing else all day since I work in a very very busy place. With Lance, seeing fans, reporters, employees and gobs of people in general every day being a sports celebrity, he doesn't give you a smile or a hello and you hope he's having a bad day.

Jesus.

If it wasn't Lance Berkman, would you care?

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

You just don't get it ... you are the only one who thinks you were snubbed and to be honest your complaint is about as valid as saying, "Man Lance Berkman walked by me and he didn't even give me any money!"

Get over yourself or you are going to have a lot of disappointment in your life.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

You got off easy. I looked Lance Berkman in the eye once and he kicked me in the nuts.

18. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Just curious. Why is his nickname big puma?

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Big Puma

nickname for Houston Astros baseball player/all-star Lance Berkman. bestowed upon him (tongue in cheek, yet good naturedly) by local radio station due to his "cat-like" movements around the base paths.

All Star first baseman Lance Berkman. A Big Puma glides effortlessly, and moves with cat-like nimbleness around the bases. Big Puma would never, ever fall while running the bases. Watching Big Puma accelerate gracefully to full speed has been known to make grown men cry. Occasionally, if you listen intently, you can hear the Big Puma battle cry: Raaayyrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Big+Puma&defid=1924533

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Congrats to Lance.