1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lamar Miller, Gase, Ajayi and Arian Foster

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Win, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Win

Win Contributing Member

I'm just really curious why Miami let Miller go with out much of a fight and/or never really used him as much as would be expected from such a prolific player when they had him. Of course, much of this on Miller has has been responded and pondered upon here and elsewhere. but was the decision made to let him go before Gase got there? I always assumed it was a cost savings move and that the Dolphins expected Ajayi to step right in. Now it would seem former Texans vet gotten on the cheep Foster is leading the way as the rb starter (yeah, we know how that will end, just not with which injury) and that could not possibly have been part of the Dolphins plan when this all began. I love Lamar Miller but worry if there is something we are missing.

2. conquistador#11

the dolphins would rather pass the ball more times than when they had dan marino without having dan marino under center. why pay lamar the money he got for 200 carries. 4 yrs/26 million.

I think he will get 270+ carries here

3. Win

Win Contributing Member

You are probably right, Conquistador. It just seems Miller would have fit Gases system to a tee.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

in addition to conquistador's point, Ajayi looked solid last year. I think they felt that him + someone (adding the someone both as insurance given Ajayi's lack of history, and because you generally need multiple RBs anyway) would make a solid combo at a fraction of the price. It took a while and looked sketchy for a while when CJ's contract was matched, but Arian is a great complement. (And probably just as good as Lamar for them while he's healthy)

In the end I think it worked out better than Lamar for 26M. But if they had signed CJ Anderson, it may not have made as much sense. I'm guessing another factor is that Miller was fed up with how he was used last season especially and was just done unless they had a much better offer. Pure speculation on my part though

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not what I was expecting when I clicked on this.

You could say this about pretty much every free agent that changes teams. Teams have to make tough decisions and sometimes it means letting good players leave.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Detroit was probably wondering the same thing about Glover Quin.

7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yep. And the Eagles were about Connor Barwin.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The Brock signing and the WR drafting has gotten all the publicity this offseason, but I'm actually more intrigued by the Miller signing than anything else. Interested to see if he really is an every-down back. Because he will definitely get his chance to prove it. I just hope it's behind a healthy offensive line......