1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers to acquire Chris Paul

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

It is not a small loss for the Lakers do lose out on their rotation of 3 ~7 footers. (To be fair, Fisher going to the bench is a huge boost for them defensively)

While Kobe will gain some mileage on the offensive end, he is going to have to expend considerably more on the defensive end by not having that cushion.

And this is assuming Bynum and Paul's knees stay healthy.

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

this league is played like a video-game now

3. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Totally.
    Oh, wait, he's 31.
    :rolleyes:

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Clutchfans has 40,000 members. It's very possible those aren't the same posters.

5. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Did anyone actually say that Gasol was the best big man in the league or that he was the most skilled post player in the league. There's a pretty big difference between the two and I don't recall any credible person attesting to the former.

6. Apps

Apps Member

The Lakers just solved the biggest problem position on their entire team. Losing Gasol and Odom certainly leaves a dent, so I wouldn't slate them in for the Championships just yet.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Everyone who thinks this trade doesn't greatly improve the Lakers, read above please.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

So you solve your biggest problem (PG), and yet you lost your biggest advantage (size). It's a marginal improvement if you look at the bigger picture.

The Lakers won championships b/c of their size, despite their glaring weakness at PG (size matters moreso than anything if you have more than capable big men).

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Exactly,Bynum isn't consistent. However,I don't consider Pau as a true center. He will have more trouble in Houston in LA. Andrew has his problems, but he took off pressure from Pau on occasions.
    Odom's length,scoring ability and defense will also be missed.

#89 saleem, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  10. red_alertz

red_alertz Member

oh man as a laker fan i am happy that i think team improved, but it's tough to let go of gasol and odom, they are such classy guys and contributed so much for the 2 championships, and gasol is still one of the best big men out there, so skilled and unselfish

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Gasol and Odom were huge parts of the Lakers success. If Bynum gets injured mid-season again, and if there are chemistry issues with both Paul and Kobe needing the ball, the Lakers may not look so great. Phil Jackson to Mike Brown is also a coaching downgrade (though I'm not as down on Mike Brown as most others).

12. supdudes

supdudes Member

Only way this deal makes sense is if Howard comes...Frankly at this point I don't know what to believe. It's a long shot, but it IS the Lakers aka NBA farmer...

CP3 and Kobe would be interesting to watch though

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd LMAO if the Lakers don't get Howard, Bynum gets injured and Paul and Kobe don't get along and Paul bolts to NY after the season.

14. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I definitely see the glass as half full on this one. Sure give a huge advantage to the Lakers with a big upgrade to their PG issues but I agree with everyone else in saying that the reason why the Lakers won those two titles was because of their length. Now we're not even sure if Paul will choose to sign an extension with the Lakers or bolt to NY later.

PLUS we can't forget that Bynum's had a good amount of injuries the last few years and Paul isn't an ironman himself either. I would definitely be intrigued by what happens next season. Hopefully this isn't the last move for Morey this offseason, I can definitely appreciate his attempts to make this team better though.

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

It's being reported that the Lakers will also receive C/F Emeka Okafor from the Hornets to match salaries.

They still are big, but lose their X-factor in Odom.

16. what

what Member

Sorry, but the biggest problem is Kobe's age.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This was a deal for the future. They're not worried about if Paul fits with Kobe. Paul (and Howard, they hope) is what they'll be building around from no on.

18. TheresTheDagger

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

If they take back Okafor, fine, but then they have ZERO chances of Dwight. Even without him, it's unlikely

Kobe+Okafor+Paul+ their bench (Artest, Blake, Fisher, Walton) easily puts them over the cap. And they have nothing to offer. Unless Dwight's willing to play for 3 million, they have no chance of getting him.

At any rate, we're now under the cap room and should be a realistic threat to just plain sign Dwight in the offseason. I like this.

20. Mr Chuck Norris

So

Bynum
    ????
    World Peace
    Kobe
    Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.