1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers/Raptors trade.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JAG, Jun 26, 2002.

1. JAG

JAG Member

The Lakers traded Chris Jeffries and Lyndsey Hunter to the Raptors for Kareem Rush and Tracy Murray.

Raps get a really good perimeter defender/slasher that I was kinda hoping the Rox would get, and the back up pg that they'll need when they lose Chris Childs to free agency, while the Lakers get a lot of added offense off the bench, as well as pretty good upside.

My opinion, one of those trades that works both ways....

2. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

JAG, where did you get this info??

Can you put up a link??

3. JAG

JAG Member

1) Can't put up a link, as I saw it on Raptors television, but it was the Raptors GM Glen Grunwald announcing it, so it's definite.

2) While I could stretch it with the Tracy Murray thing, as mentioned in the blurb for this forum, I actually meant to put this in the NBA Forum.

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

That was a pretty good trade for both teams and it brought the Lakers more scorers, which they wanted, but who will the Lakers use as their backup pg now? Will they have to use Brian Shaw at this position again? Maybe they can bring back Mike Penberthy.

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

Trading for Kareem Rush makes the Lakers an even MORE dangerous team. The guy can flat out shoot the ball. When Shaq draws the double team, Rush is gonna burn them everytime.

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

I don't think it's a slam dunk for either team. The Lakers have even less PG depth now, so they've gotta keep Brian Shaw around as Fisher's backup. Rush plays the same position as Kobe and he's not gonna beat out Rick Fox, so he's just another shooter from the bench (at least for now).

The Raptors get a decent player in Jeffries, though they already have Carter and Peterson. Definately better than Tracy Murray, though. Hunter has a bad contract and really is redundant to Alvin Williams, though the Raptors needed PG depth and some outside shooting.

I really think both teams would've been better off keeping what they had, though.

7. Virtuoso

Virtuoso Member

The Lakers got a steal..............Rush will be siting pretty in the wings when Kobe slashes to the basket and the ball gets pushed inside to ShaQ.............Great shooter, and athlete, the Laker offense is not point guard oriented, it's the triangle. Fisher will get his 30-35 minutes a game, plus Kobe is just fine against the smaller players( But how can they stop him, that's the real problem for everyone else), and Rush is also good for some minutes on "D" against smaller guards.

Murray left open is very deadly from 3............Which means the defense's will be spread out more, giving Shaq and Kobe a little more space. I think Rush will get 20-25 minutes a night right away, and in his second year be the Lakers 3rd option with 30+ minutes, he is that good, a real steal for the Lakers.

Plus don't forget the Lakers are in the market for Malik Rose,muscleman Rogers, or Keon Clark.................yup the best just get better.............

8. Jhcal23

Jhcal23 Member

I'm not sure Rush will get so many minutes his first year, but otherwise I agree completely. If the Lakers can get a decent backup 4/5 they're gold. Lindsay Hunter? Bricklayer played some decent D, but we can get a servicable backup via free agency.

9. lpbman

lpbman Member

Or maybe they'll sign Mcginnis

10. Jhcal23

Jhcal23 Member

His 3 shot is suspect and a little too small for Phil's tastes. Plus he's a locker room cancer (at least that's his rep). He's underrated imo and is one of the best mid range shooters and great at making those floating buckets near the free-throw line ala Van Exel and Cassell.

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

I think you will see a 1/2 Bryant-Rush lineup when Rush starts to contribute

12. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I think the most important thing is that this is the first step towards building a post-shaq team for Kobe.