1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers name Magic Johnson President of Basketball Operations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 21, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

It's fun to go back and see Magic's past tweets

Deuce and Louka like this.
  2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

WOW....DAYYYYUM.....WOOOOOOOW!

The Lake Show might be a horror movie that lasts for YEARS!

Rox11 likes this.
  3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Makes no sense to me. Maybe it's a PR/marketing thing? I mean it seems so clear to fans like us, but team executives dealing with multi-million entities and everything to lose seemingly continue to make obvious mistakes. What gives? How could Magic possibly be the best man for the job other than the fact that he's a Lakers legend? Not saying he'll fail (luck is always a huge factor) but no way he is the most qualified person for the job.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

KJ/Brewer/Ennis for Russell/Ingram/Randle

6. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Morey should take advantage and steal Lou Williams FOR REAL

Shroopy2 and vtjsr2 like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Personally I think Jeanie messes around with Lakers' greats... pure speculation.

Don't get mad

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You gotta wonder if Magic does the Ingram for Cousins trade that we heard was the King's first choice, and whether that will end up the better outcome. So in you comments on the 1st regarding Magic wanting to flip young talent for stars, appears Kupchak's resistance to do so got Magic the job.

Agree with you on Morey vs legends,,,although I'm not a big fan of Hinke,,,seems like you or 10 other ppl here could have done the same thing if not better. That's more agreeing with plan than saying he executed it better than a fan could have.

Also wonder if Magic will allow the GM a lot of power. If Magic is mainly a figurehead and scout and long term vision, it could work. He could definitely help with persuading Free Agents to come and talent to stay, as long as he lets the GM pick them.

I think me being skeptical of him is more about his views than stereotyping all legends (Bird, MJ, Thomas, Dumars, MvHale) or even marginal players like Pat Riley, Jackson, Ainge, Kupchak, Ferry, Marks, Divac. Hell, the best was Jerry West after all, after Auerbach.

Btw. I have a feeling Divac actually buys into the Hinkie plan and the owner's apprehension hurt his attempts at moving Cousins earlier (maybe in the summer), and now hurt his attemps getting Ingram. But even beyond that he knows he needs to tank. I've mainly formed that opinion from Woj articles and Divac presser.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. the shark

the shark Member

"An idiot"?

You're clueless!!

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Magic: How about Lou Williams for Jimmy Butler?
    GarPax: No

Magic: How about Lou Williams for Paul George?
    Bird: No

heypartner and Rox11 like this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You obviously did not catch Magic's interview on First Take where he said the opposite of what you just posted. Magic was quite clear in that it would take years for the Lakers to fix this mess. He was both pragmatic and realistic about the Lakers situation and what steps that would be required to get back to being a contender. He was also adamant about not interfering with what Luke Walton wanted to do on the court focusing instead on rectifying the problems with scouting, personnel and talent acquisition. Interestingly, Magic considers the hiring of D'Antoni to be one of the Lakers' prime mistakes. I see him as emulating the role Jerry West had when when he was with the Lakers. The cap, negotiating deals and knowing the market he'll leave to the new GM while Magic (and possibly Kobe) will focus on the log term vision for the Lakers.

As for Morey being a better choice, he's been here for how many years now? And just how has that worked out? Don't misunderstand me - I'm not anti-Morey per se but he's been GM here since 2007 and it's now 2017 and the Rockets remain a work in progress. There are still far too many question marks about this team for me especially about how D'Antoni's system will perform in the playoffs but that's a discussion for another day.

15. the shark

the shark Member

So he's an "idiot" because of a few things he said over the years?

Is Morey an "idiot" for drafting Royce White?
    Is he an "idiot" for trading for Ty Lawson?

Remember these are things that Morey actually did (not saying something like Magic said).

So with you're logic Morey is an "idiot" as well.

The Hunted likes this.
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Whatever dude.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Not worried until BJ Armstrong becomes Harden's agent.

heypartner likes this.
  19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

20. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

It's 2017, why ex-players and why ex-player/team legend anymore?

Get the best talent. Magic is not, not for GM