1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers have the best odds of landing Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Oct 27, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Franchise tag in the NBA will NEVER happen. Maybe the elimination of sign and trades and maybe bird rights after a player is traded but that's about it.

Super teams are the future of the NBA (I don't like it either) and the ratings last year proved that it's the greatest thing to happen to the league since Michael Jordan.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Who doesn't want a superteam? Only the crappy teams in the league are pouting at it.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Rockets have good players to offer for Howard, but the players offered would probably duplicate talent they already have, and it seems clear the guy has his eyes set on a big TV market in any case.

If Orlando were forced to move him, they might choose to send him to the WC. That tends to narrow it down to Los Angeles. And Donald Sterling isn't a big draw for free agents.

Eastern Conference? Chicago or New York or Boston.

Not to read too much into anything, but Howard's use of the past tense when talking about SVG.... "He yelled a lot."

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

how about Rockets fans, seems to me we are not glamourous enough to build a superteam, don't know if that frustrates you. Or do you just enjoy forever mediocrity while watching Miami win championships

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's not because "glamorous" enough because the city is great and the market is fantastic. It's because there is nothing here to build on.

There's no great player to come join. There's no young star to come help. If a Star comes here he comes to build a team up from scratch and that's not very appealing to a player in his prime.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If Howard ends up on the Lakers, the league's negotiators failed in CBA talks.

But, the Laker deal proposed in the article is god-awful. A gaint salary albatross and 2 little salary albatrosses for the best center left in the league? Orlando would be better off letting Howard walk.

And Orlando would have power in picking the best package. Milwaukee may know well enough to not trade for someone who is going to leave, but the Knicks, Nets, Heat, Bulls, and Lakers at least can trade for him with confidence he will re-sign. Plus a few more teams who may reasonably expect that leaving via free agency will be too hard on Howard in the end and he'll end up staying.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's incredible that Bynum can still be talked about as a blue chip at this point. 6 seasons, has suited up for 204 games his last four seasons (62%), 15ppg and 10 rpg are his career high water marks....and he's still (STILL) dogged by questions about his work ethic and professionalism. And that's before getting into his recent infatuation with classless punk cheap shots.

Bynum considered in the same room as Howard? He isn't in the same building!

And he benefits a lot from sharing the floor with Gasol and Kobe - life gets a LOT rougher when you're the guy teams are gameplanning around.

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You also need to add that Bynum's deal ends in 2013 anyways. So there's a good chance that well, he splits off only a year later. Given those circumstances, I'd rather take my chances with Dwight anyways.

9. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

LOL @ people thinking Rockets have any shot at Howard.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Go the OKC route, or Chicago. Those 2 teams have just as high of a chance to win as any team in the league.

Did you also see that it was Dallas who won the ring last year, beating a super-team?

Do you see any super-teams (Red Sox, Yankees) in the World Series this year?

Also FYI, for a long stretch, we had a true superstar, and other stars love to join our team.

The Rockets have to prove that we have a base/foundation/star player to build on, for the team to be able to attract players. Yao/tmac didn't count b/c they were 2 plays away from sitting on the bench. Nobody wanted to go to NY until the Knicks were able to sign Amare, and have the capspace to sign people.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

LOL @ people taking this teenage Laker fan's opinion piece seriously.

12. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

thats the core of the deal...Lakers would have to give up Odom or Artest and a few other players so that salaries match.

13. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

A washed up Artest and a potentially unmotivated Odom? Trash!

Go to Lakersground, you LA homer!

14. SPF35

SPF35 Member

I don't get why people still are quoting stats as it is all on the same level playing field. Bynum averaged 15-10 as the 3rd/4th option on a lakers team with waning minutes as well. So statistically he still has 'potential' to easily be a 20-10 stud

15. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Super teams aren't the future; they're basically what the NBA has always been about. Ratings are always higher when there's a concentration of talent; much like wealth in America, if you weren't fortunate enough to be born into royalty, the best you can hope for is a lottery ticket up to the 1%.

Honestly, all this crap just makes Steve Nash look like a gorram saint; out of all the guys rumored to be moving, he's got to be the one that has the most legitimate beef with how management has run the team since the first 7 seconds or less season; honestly, if the Rockets were run as cheaply and poorly as the Suns, I'd be worried for Les Alexander's life. If I'd support anyone forcing a trade, it would be him; hell, if he won a title with the Lakers I'd be happy, in the same way I felt happy for Metta World Peace.

I personally think that Dwight ends up going to the Lakers for Bynum, and never wins a ring as Kobe and Gasol fade badly and Miami rolls off 5 straight championships.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The way things are progressing, McDonald's has the best odds of landing Dwight Howard.

17. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Sure, for a cheap ring, I get that.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If he were that stud, he wouldn't be a 3rd-4th option behind Gasol. I agree he could be a 20-10 guy, but it would be on a 30-win team.

19. SPF35

SPF35 Member

If Dhoward, Brook Lopez, any of those guys came in, it coudl be s aid they would be the 3rd option or at times mixed 2nd option. Gasol is one of hte most skilled big men in the league and he fits perfectly with the triangle with his versatile passing. Kobe will always be the alpha, so no matter who comes in, that is just the way the team is built where it will end up being 3-4 option

20. SPF35

SPF35 Member

I fail to understand why they say the suns are poorly and cheaply run, because bill simmons says so? The only thing they did was literally let Amare go. Amare has been a health risk, and suns have the BEST medical staff in the NBA. Players go there and they are able to add years to their careers. So the word is htey saw red flags on him lasting towards the end of that contract.
    As for Joe Johnson, they matched him and wanted to do everything to keep him, including pay him riduclously 120 million since they were high on him. He and his agent lobbied endlessly to let him go and he has no intention of playing for the suns if you recall.
    That said, they took on Vince's contract, they took on Shaq. They have been paying all the players that they are high on or even have shown to take risks like the ones above.

So once again, all signs point to them being spenders and using it where they seem fit. They've paid more money than amare and have taken chances, but they didn't feel like he was worth it. Yet they continue to pay and have higher payrools in the past and present. I don't get why the suns get this rep other than amare which they had their reasonable reasons which is why chicago didnt go for amare