1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laid Off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Jun 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Today I became a statistic.

Anyone looking for a Print production manager/project manager with 20 years experience in the world of graphic design, marketing and annual reports?

I've been using and teaching people to use photoshop, illustrator, indesign and all the other design applications ever since the Mac took the place of paste up boards and linotype.

I'm sure I'll land on my feet but today has really sucked.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sorry to hear it. Good luck on your search.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

That sucks... I would really hate to get laid off (never experienced it before), anyways, good luck with finding another job (no sarcasm).

4. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Who is going to do your job out of curiosity?

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

No one. Not enough work being produced to warrant my position any longer.

2 years ago we had 45 employees. Today 6 of the last 21 got laid off.

If the company makes it to next year's annual report season all of the print jobs will be much smaller in scale and quantity due to the economy and online reporting. The print jobs that do get designed and produced will have more mistakes because the young designers only know how to draw pretty pictures and don't really know how to build the files properly to get ink on paper at press, but the extra costs at the printers won't come close to equaling my salary. There is one young project manager who is still there to bid and schedule the jobs.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Welcome to the club! Membership has its priv... well, not really, nevermind. Hope you find something soon. :)

7. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Sorry to hear it. Good luck in your quest.

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

That sucks man. Economy is hurting right now. I'm sweatin over my job too. I hope you find something soon.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Sorry for the loss and hope you find something real soon!

10. teknokid

teknokid Member

im sorry to hear that as I am in somewhat related industry. I currently work for an online marketing agency in Austin.. contracts and projects are getting harder to come by every day ..
    Let's hope the economy picks up soon and the corporates are not so hesitant to invest money.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Are you ok for now? Do you have any emergency savings?

12. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that VooDooPope. Apply for unemployment benefits asap while you search. Keep your head up.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Best of luck to you, man. :)

Like others said, I'm kind of worrying about my job, now, too (see other job thread).

Hopefully things turn around for you soon.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For those of you worried about geting laid off, I'd seriously be saving money if possible now and if you haven't already. Depending upon your line of work, it may be hard getting another job. I've got developer friends who have been looking for work for almost a year now. They're predicting the unemployment rate to get slightly worse before it gets better. Getting better may be later this year or next year (or so they hope...).

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If I were to be laid off, I could probably do alright on my unemployment benefits. I don't have a ton of payments, and no kids or anything. In fact, it could almost be a blessing in disguise, as I would probably take a few classes, and possibly grab a better degree....

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I have been laid for a while, it sucks. I didn't get into the school I wanted so it sucks even more. I can't believe it is so hard to find a job.

17. droxford

droxford Member

Very sorry to hear about it, VDP. I really really wish there was something I could do to help.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

I can't get laid off because I can't even get hired. Everytime I think I am going to get a job it doesn't fall through. I'm frustrated. Good luck to you though.

19. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

same. graduating with a degree in civil engineering; not looking forward to be unemployed.

20. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

It is weird kinda situation where taking less hours would hurt you because it would keep you from benefits.

having at least 6 months of emergency funds should be a way of life. My dad worked contruction so I learned about boom and bust first hand very young. Very glad for that.