1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of tribute to Rudy T mentioned on Sportingnews.com

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by garthomps, Jun 17, 2003.

1. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Which I agree, Rudy deserves so much more respect, in light of his terms of exit and what he has done for the Rockets!

cheers to Stelio Savante!

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/fans_view/20030614.html

Today, NBA fan Stelio Savante says that Rudy Tomjanovich's resignation was overlooked during all of the coach shuffling, and he deserves more of a tribute.

Lately, there has been so much gratitude, tribute and honor sent in the direction of Larry Brown, but what about Rudy Tomjanovich? Rudy T has been with the Rockets since the Last Supper. He is, was and will remain an asset to this organization.

But let's consider his achievements as a coach. Houston was known for its choking habits in the playoffs and in big games prior to Rudy's influence.

Rudy won two NBA championships with a "one-man show" in the form of the great Hakeem Olajuwon. Rudy knew how to coach the game well when it was still a big man's game. Houston won back-to-back titles, and he is the main reason.

Rudy was often the brunt of jokes early on, mainly for bringing in too many CBA players who supposedly did not have enough talent to make it in the NBA, but after Mario Elie proved his importance to the Rockets, CBA players were looked at in a different light.

Rudy T took on Clyde Drexler when everyone thought he was way past his prime and when the Rockets needed youth instead of experience. The result: The Rockets won their second title and constantly were selling out the arena because of the Phi Slamma Jamma reunion.

Most recently, Rudy assembled a team that will be a contender for years to come. With the likes of Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Yao Ming, Houston's future coach will benefit from Rudy's groundwork.

So let's give Rudy his due. Why has he not gotten any respect the last few years? And why has there not been a tribute to Rudy since he stepped down?

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I agree. There definitely should be some sort of tribute set up for him. Something like the Tux and Tennies dedicated to him and a halftime for him to give some sort of farewell speech.

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

Simple. He was disrespected and fired, and everyone knows "he will return."

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's only been a month. Who says they aren't planning anything?

5. jw1144

jw1144 Contributing Member

For a guy talking about showing respect, he doesn't show Clyde much here.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

He's got a movie named after him already.. if you don't watch it :)

7. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

FYI

For those of you whom are interested in setting up/replying to a post on sportingnews.com, you can send your comment to

fans@sportingnews.com

under the subject line - Fans' View

8. edc

edc Contributing Member

Unrelated, I think someone should buy the rights to "The Punch" and make a movie of Rudy T.'s life story.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And how many people would see that movie outside of Houston?

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

Quite a few, if it had a good script and a good cast. I would say RT's story is every bit the equal of (for example) John Nash's. One man's battles against demons both mental and physical, and ultimately conquering them.

11. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Is this true? I thought the Rockets got the choking reputation in the Phoenix series in the first title run. I don't remember them pulling any serious choke jobs in important games before this. In both of their previous title series against the Celtics, they were overacheiving to even get to the finals. They were beaten by a better team both times.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

We were better than the Lakers the year they swept us. That was my all time low. No way we should have lost that series. I took a lot of abuse for that one.

13. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Houston, itself, had the image of "Choke City" already (mostly attributed to the Oilers). The First 2 games of the Phoenix series were what nearly cemented that title.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Phi slamma jamma

15. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

The lack of respect our franchise shows was also diplayed in Hakeem's retirement ceremony. Did anyone happen to catch Ewings. We looked terrible to that ceremony. They made Ewing look like a God. Dream was deffinatly a better player than Ewing, he deserved more than we gave him.

16. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

No doubt, that too.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That was a bunch of New York hype more than anything else. I doubt any player has had a ceremony of that magnitude, outside of Jordan

18. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

No need to get the panties in a wad right now.

Im sure the Rox brass has something planned for Rudy T during the season as to thank him for his work.

:rolleyes:

Oh and sportingnews.com is up there with hoopsworld.com in terms of writing credibility.

There's ESPN.com....

and there is everyone else.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

And Rudy would be the last person to watch that movie.

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

I too was suprised that Rudy's resignation was not a bigger national story. Larry Brown's resignation got more pub from what I saw.