1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. SeabrookMiglla

i have nothing against the sport itself, but damn do i hate football culture. its very good ol' boyish, and the corporate douches seem only to care about pointless football talk. i feel your average basketball fan keeps up or has more knowledge of the game and players, then your average football fan. dont get me wrong, i know some football fans who are die hard and are extremely knowledgeable about the game. as a whole, it seems like football is just something to talk about and a lot of people who claim to be fans really dont really know much about the game. ive heard the same conversation about 30 times from football fans during the regular season, and its always the same **** everyone else is saying. thats what really annoys me. ill be standing there saying to myself "now hes going to say this, and now this person is going to say this" football talk is pretty boring unless you are talking to someone with in depth knowledge.

im sure when the rockets start making deep playoff runs etc. the popularity for the rockets will come back around. it just seems weird how people have forgotten about the rockets. when i grew up, houston was a rockets town. now its the texans town. but which team has brought this city rings in the big leagues? i like the texans, but they will never have that soft spot that the rockets have.

2. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Lance cares about 2 things on the show:

1) Football
    2) Showing off his "talent" of being able to do multiple voices (this is so annoying)

If you want Rockets talk in the morning, you'll probably get more of it from 610, and that's not saying much.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Likewise, I don't care much about football. I got banned from the Clutchfans Texans page and probably rightly so since I used to ask some posters who used to compare Rockets players to Texans players to take that ***** out of the GARM.

4. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm a big fan of Lance and Adam but I'm actually longing for the days of Matt Jackson and Wex.

When Lance and Adam are interested in sports I think they are great to listen and talk to. The mix of humor and legit sports takes are great but recently it seems like it's too much non-sports stuff.

As far as not talking what you can't see, Rockets, I think that's BS.

I haven't had cable for years but that didn't stop me from catching a game a week at a bar or listening to pretty much every game on the radio. I'm a dad with two kids and Craig Ackerman has been my constant companion through many dirty diapers and late nights of helping my son with science projects.

If you are a Houston sports fan there really is no reason not to love the Rockets and follow the team.

This is a great team with many layers to it, not just "Harden is a ball hog" or "who can we get for Asik". I would think the hosts might find a way to dig a little deeper and help educate the local audience on what they've got.

5. Granville

Granville Member

Which one of you is the idiot sending the stupid e-mails to Lance Z?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I tried but I couldn't get the NBA channel on the internet xm or iPhone app. I'd need to buy an xm radio and I'm not spending $100 on one.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I do not understand this logic. Can't listening, reading and researching enable one to talk about things?

8. Granville

Granville Member

I have XM radio in my car and my wife's car. NBA Channel is good for listening to games..... So so for other content. Just my opinion.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, you are so right, I would also like to add something (this is so annoying, stupid, and uneducated because his job is a professional work). Right now, I would say that 610 is doing a better job for the sport talks, it is sad to say it, but it is true.

10. E-Man

E-Man Member

610 hardly talk any Rockets. If they did, the most would be 5 minutes then it's on to football 24/7.:mad:

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I listen to the Sirius/XM app all day long using my phone and to listen to Craig do the games at night. I pay around $11 a month for the service and the app was free. Not sure why you had any issues? Did you get the XM package with sports play by play?

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

610 is for the home of the Houston Texans, but 790 is for the home of the Houston rockets. 790 has a obligation to talk the Rockets, and 610 has no any obligation, but a talk for a five minutes is fine for me, they are not good on the rockets anyway..

13. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

especially when the basketball team is the only team in the city to win a championship.

14. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mike Meltzer gave kuddos to Clutch like two weeks ago on their station. I forgot to send that over to Dave.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

I'm sure I can hear games but not the NBA channel. The one with interviews and NBA talk. Channel 217

16. REEKO_HTOWN

790 is hurting. They can't compete with 610 and dropping Matt and Adam was the first sign that they would steer towards 90% football talk to stay alive in Houston.

Sadly the population of dumb football fans outnumber those of any kind of basketball fan in this city and just like with any media the mass wins. Why do you think radio is littered with Rap, country and Mexican stations? They have a better chance at attracting dumb listeners to by their advertisers products.

I just gave up and listen to podcasts.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've been a SiriusXM customer for several years and recently ran into this problem. Even though the two satalite radio companies merged several years ago, thier two systems aren't totally integrated. If you have a Sirius radio (which is what I have and am assuming is what REEKO has as well) you can't get the new NBA channel nor any of other current or future new stations. They are abandoning the 'Sirius' platform and are moving forward with 'SiriusXM' which happens to be compatible with all 'XM' platform tuners.

So in essence, if you have a Sirius radio, you're screwed.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

My issue is not with the physical radio. My issue is with the Internet radio. I don't own nor will I buy a physical radio (XM or Sirius) I expected that I could listen to the simulcast on their xm/Sirius iPhone app since that's all I have access to.
    The NBA radio station is not available on that app so I discontinued the free trial. (You had to call to cancel that too)

19. chandlerbang21

Rockets talk has scheduled times on 790.

0800 is morey/ front office staff time

5pm belongs to mchale once a weak

beverly and parsons have time on the MT show once a week

Thats it ! Home of the rockets talks about the texans 95% of the time

20. chandlerbang21

Also another suggestion, GET RID OF THE JAY MOAR SHOW ITS STRAIGHT TRASH