1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

You beat me to it...... :mad: lol

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I get the CSN issue but the disparity was bad even when they were on FSN. It's always been at least 70% football and the 30% was everything else.

3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Why talk about a team that most people can't watch? Enough said.

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

You can't watch the Texans anymore now because their season's over, yet they will be the main topic of discussion even throughout the NBA playoffs regardless if the Rockets go deep or not.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They're getting a bit better at it. Charlie Pallilo does a good job of talking plenty of Rockets in the "drive home show." I suggest you tune in to that. he has a weekly one hour segment with Matt Bullard and also has Kevin McHale on for a couple of segments. Matt Thomas does his bit. He has Beverley on once a week. The "In the Trenches" show is just football anyway.

The worst culprit is the morning show - "Proper Gentlemen of Sports". They do have 10 minute segments featuring Craig Ackerman, Daryl Morey, Jason Friedman, Joel Blank each morning but that's about it.

Adam Clanton clearly wants to inject some Rockets talk but Lance Zierlein who either has little interest in basketball or more likely knows very little about the Rockets in general is quick to divert back to football or some other random topic so much so that Daryl Morey was actually toying with Lance on radio this morning and in effect ripping / mocking him for being so football centric.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

"Caller driven radio" folks. It's the laziest way to run a sports talk station. If they really want profits they should just fire all the host and let callers host....wait they did that at 610 with Sean (used to be a sports talk caller)

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Houston sports has four distinct seasons:

1. Pre-season Texans
    2. In-season Texans
    3. Post-season Texans letdown
    4. Texans draft

Even when the Texans sucked hard and the Rockets are looking up.

Houston sports "fans" jumped on the Rockets bandwagon in Game Six last year against OKC. When we lost, the accumulated hot-water vapor escaped to atmosphere, and then it was back to:

1. Pre-season Texans
    2. In-season Texans
    3. Post-season Texans letdown
    4. Texans draft

Rinse, repeat.

8. Fantasma Negro

You can't talk about what you can't see. This csn crap won't be fixed until 2015 so until then, nfl will dominate the houston airwaves. Its sad and depressing, but we have a huge slot on national games coming up and then the playoffs but until then we have to suffer through Micheal Sam reactions and draft prognostications...if you're ever up early though, at 6am on 790 Adam and Lance do talk about the rockets, alot. From the glory days to the blue pajamas to the coke binge rockets of 86 they hit all topics, especially Vernon Maxwell LoL

9. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Lance was whining and hiding behind caller driven radio this morning as his reasoning why he won't talk Rockets.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

All I heard them talk about was spitting in someones food. Even 610 seems to talk more rockets than them when I am listening.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Funny thing is even the guests they have for about 10 minutes each morning in the "Proper Gentlemen of Sports" show lament at how little Lance talks about the Rockets and how he is all about football.

I have counted Joel blank and Daryl Morey blatantly call him out in the past week and ridicule him for only football talk.

790 is advertised as the Home of the Houston Rockets or something along those lines....SMH

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

http://thesidelineview.com/profile/lance-zierlein

Lance Zierlein comes from a football family with a father who coached on the college and pro level for 32 years and a brother who played and coaches football. As a handicapper, fantasy football writer, radio host and NFL Draft expert, Zierlein has one of the most unique perspectives of anyone in the football business.

At the age of 24, Zierlein began his own handicapping service called Pigskin Sports and was a featured football analyst and handicapper in markets such as Houston, Miami, Michigan City, New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

etc
    etc
    etc

There's more but, yep, he's all about football. More than we might have guessed.

13. j3i

j3i Member

That's why I'm glad Adam Clanton is his co-host (though I do miss Wexler.) Clanton even mentioned Clutchfans a few time during his old timeslot.

14. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Lance was calling out an emailer this morning that was complaining about his lack of rockets talk/knowledge but the emailer is right, maybe Lance isn't incompetent when it comes to basketball but he just has no interest until Football season is completely over and there is nothing left to talk about.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's not that he doesn't know anything about the Rockets, it's that this whole city demonstrates what it wants in the form of ratings. You know what wins ratings in this town? "Why or why not should the Texans draft Johnny Manziel?"

610 just goes to this topic, rinse, repeat. Why shouldn't 790 do the same? Marta nd Adam tried to be your Rockets voice on the radio last year and look where it got them.

Face it. Radio is for the masses. Radio is for the proletariat. If you want to get your basketball fix, look elsewhere.

16. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I just can't get that emotionally attached to the Texans. To me they are like a rebound, I don't care for them nearly as much as the Oilers but I have to settle for them because they are here. Even after a decade I feel this way. Maybe this changes with the Bill O'Brien era, I've always just hated the Texans good ole boy ways of sticking to their guy and offering extensions to players/coaches for mediocrity. Up to this point they just seem like a bunch of clowns.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is pretty much why I don't give a **** about the Texans.

18. platypus

platypus Member

I've been telling y'all for weeks now pony up the money and get xm and listen to the new NBA channel. It is a must listen for any basketball fan.

19. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Charlie P talks rockets. If you don't hear it, it's your fault for posting on here to much and not calling in.

20. jedicro

jedicro Member

This is why I enjoyed the Texans toilet-bowl season so much. Suck it you F350-driving sister-kissing duck-hunting rednecks. You're team sucks.

(apologies to any F-350 driving sister-kissing duck-hunting rednecks who are Rockets fans. Keep fighting the fine fight)