1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Speaking of that, he was on today explaining why J.J. Watt wasn't being shown at the final four (saying he's not going to be shown tonight because he has a suite, and doesn't want to be in the spotlight).

And low and behold, who's in the front row tonight being shown after every big Wisconsin run? J.J. Watt.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Don't feed the troll, please. He's too ignorant to realize that basketball will never trump football in any city regardless how well the basketball team is doing.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I know you have been asked to cease this type of post in here.

We all get it, you despise football. Just drop it, your act is insulting and tired and offtopic in this forum.

4. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Idk guys, it's so rare they talk about the Rockets that it almost seems mythical, and I get this feeling like I'm so lucky to happen to be in the car while they briefly talk Rox. Just lower your talk radio standards and instead of feeling angry at them, you'll applaud their meager effort.

And their target audience as far as ads go is more obvious than golf sponsors.

5. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Lol. All those "fatsos" can run faster than you. If you think football requires no athleticism you're extremely wrong. And trust me, if CF has taught me anything, basketball has its fair share of low IQ fans.

Football is a much more complex game so its expected that many won't understand it. I'm not picking favorites. I love both sports and will respect both sports because I know to make it to the top of either association, it requires dedication and determination. I applaud anyone in either the NBA or the NFL.

Additionally, you ought to get off your high horse. It's really annoying.

6. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Given that basketball is really the only sport that's worthy of discussion in April, it's really dumb if the Rockets are not the main topic for each segment.

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

So today Lance was off in California so Ross filled in and guess what? There was plenty of Rockets discussion this morning including a rockets caller. This happened the morning after there was no rockets game, there was the astros home opener, and the NCAA finals. The topics were spread around well, they covered all sports. Look no one is asking Lance to cover Rockets for 3 straight hours, what we are asking for is not spend 2.5 hours discussing random topics and football when it's the offseason and derail all Rocket related conversation.

I get it, Football is king, that is proof everytime I drive home and see texan logos on every 5th truck on the road. I'm a Texan fan myself but do not want to go into a 2 hour discussion about a Bill O Brien comment he made to the media after an important Rocket win. When Football season is around, I'll be fine with the Texan conversation dominating but it's very obvious Lance does his best to steer the conversation away from the Rockets each morning. Because he's obligated to put in his 2 cents about the Rockets for 5 minutes each morning doesn't mean he doesn't have a clear agenda to discuss primarily NFL related topics. I know he works for the NFL network but his primary job is a radio show host on the home of the rockets and he needs to act more like it, otherwise they need to push him a few hours to the right and join greg and Indy in the trenches.

8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

On a separate note, the city is taking note of the rockets and our MVP candidate James Harden. I went to the Kite Festival last weekend where there was thousands of people out at Hermann park and saw no one wearing Texan jerseys but quite a few people where Rocket shirts, hats and jerseys. I spotted at least 10 - 15 folks repping rockets while to my complete surprise, not 1 texans shirt/jersey/hat or anything.

I also noticed this at memorial city mall the other day too, mainly people wearing Rockets gear.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I was at DFW Airport yesterday morning, to fly back to Houston, catching the red eye and there were three people with Rockets shirts on. One was this old school colors shirt that looked pretty cool. I've noticed more Rockets and more Harden talk too.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hmm... all I heard was the end of Joel Blank (the usual Rockets-centric guest before 8), some Astros opening day talk, and a really long segment on Johnny Football and Wrigley Field.

I thought it was less Rockets-centric than normal... it really doesn't have a helluva lot to do with Lance. The show is just all over the place sometimes.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of one's feeling about the lack of Rockets talk on local radio station, to say that the opening of baseball season (occurring in April) is not worthy of discussion is simply not true.

12. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

There was a bill Simmons Zach Lowe podcast where they spent a lot of time on Houston and Harden.

But apparently podcasts and smart phones havent made it to Houston yet, because all we b**** about is our am radio like it's 1987

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I heard peeing out of the car talk.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I would hope that you understand it is less of a "rockets talk" problem and more of a city recognition issue. It ties into the apathy surrounding CSN and Toyota center crowds

15. Mprice

Mprice Member

Yesss! I was like what am I listening too.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There are no issues with Toyota Cneter crowds other than the lower bowl doesn't cheer as loud as the upper bowl. The games sell out. A Wednesday Kings game sold out last week.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

We could have a great atmosphere but folks don't even want to show up on time. At least the city gets up for the playoffs

18. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

It's not "b!tching, it's observation and it's clear that 790 with Lance almost avoid Rocket talk. He mention a few weeks back that he talked a lot of Rockets years back (true) and said something salty about Yao. The feedback was really bad and he got death threats and some fans went out of their way to try and sabotage him by faking a racist emails about Asians. I don't know if that's the cause he doesn't talk much about the Roxs or the fact that he just doesn't care to; all i know is when he is gone, Adam and Co. talk about the Rockets. The shows that I notice talk the most about the Rockets are Matt Thomas and Charlie in the afternoon. Charlie is really good at making sure Houston hears what needs to be the vocal point. If the Rockets are winning; he makes sure to talk about it and I appreciate that. He is the best regardless so its not surprising.

19. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

was apathy the reason for the csn debacle or was the csn debacle the reason for the apathy?

There's a similar situation in portland and portland fans are a lot of things, but apathetic isn't one of them.

This isn't "houston apathy talk" thread, it's specifically about radio. To which I say, "who the hell actually listens to radio in 2015 when it is easily the worst option For intelligent, entertaining sports discussion? "

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Ok, for those of you that keeping referring to pod cast. Most pod cast only release an episode 1 - 3 times per week so your not getting new podcast everyday. Sometimes you download the pod cast 1 or 2 days after it was recorded so who wants to listen to someone talk about games played on a Monday if today is Wed? Also, most podcast are about 30 minutes to an hour long, if your sitting in traffic an hour each way, that doesn't fill up all your time while your in the car. If your travel around town for work (sales, plumber, etc) than you need something to listen to all day. Podcast help but it can't completely replace radio.