1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LA Times] Sam Cassell re-signs with the Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Jul 1, 2006.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakeclip2jul02,1,3188262.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

The Clippers reacted swiftly after Radmanovic and Cassell apparently reneged on agreements to stay with them, then reaching terms with the sharp-shooting Thomas and making a push for free-agent guard Bobby Jackson as a back-up plan in case Cassell left.

But Cassell, the 36-year-old point guard and undisputed on-court general of the Clippers last season, late Saturday agreed to a two-year, $13-million contract, keeping intact a Clippers nucleus that lasted longer than the Lakers in this year's playoffs.

Free agents cannot officially sign contracts until July 12.

Throughout the day, Cassell was weighing three options: a two-year, $13-million offer from Atlanta, a two-year, $11-million offer from the Clippers and a three-year, $12-million offer from Denver. After learning Atlanta was the highest bidder, Clippers Coach Mike Dunleavy told Cassell to give him a number to get the deal done, sources said.

Dunleavy received approval from Clippers owner Donald T. Sterling to increase the offer, and Cassell agreed to remain with the team he helped lead to new heights last season.

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Damn i wanted Radmonivic

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Sam I am... :eek:

I wish we could get someone like him, if not him...Yeah, a bit older, but can has the veteran leadership we so desperately need...

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

2 years $13M? That's a great deal for Sam I Am. One thing about Cassell, if he's healthy, he'll produce.

5. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

This guy has spent his entire carreer underpaid. Man.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i swear that article earlier said he wasnt signing with the clips.

but he's back with them.

i hope the clips have another good run.

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

It took you long enough, Don, but that's how this league works.

Welcome to the NBA.

8. lazybum234

lazybum234 Member

Seriously. Is this really a new chapter for the Clips and Clips management moves? Looks like Sam is there to stay...

Sam: "We cannot be a one-shot wonder. We cannot be Milli Vanilli. We have to be the Jacksons"

I wonder what Sam would call his time with the Rockets?

Blink182? (couple of good years before leaving the band for other questionable projects?)

9. rocketsinsider

I really dont know what the clippers are doing, now they have Tim Thomas, Radmanovic, and Elton Brand playing at the 4?

10. rocketsinsider

oh wait nvm Radmanovic signed with the lakers not the clippers, scrap that post :rolleyes:

11. Chronz

Chronz Member

You do know that Don has been making a profit out of a losing team for years, hes one of the shrewdest gms ever, but hes not exactly stupid.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MY GOODNESS
    *THAT'S* how you go out and GET YOUR GUY!!!
    Could someone please send this to JVG and CD

Rocket River

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sam
    Cuttino
    Elton
    Tim Thomas
    Kaman

Damn!!

14. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Well aware, mojambo. Didn't call him "stupid." Called him "uninterested in fielding a winning and well-compensated team until recently." Doesn't scan well, though.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, what made Duh Donald the kinda caring and sterling Donald?