1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LA TIMES] Mobley is Target of Clippers (UPDATE: Cat to sign with Clips)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hottoddie, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Looks like Mobley can finally hook up with his friend Odom, if he wants to.

EDIT: Oops, never mind. Wrong LA team.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...702.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-clippe

Mobley Is Target for the Clippers
    Landing the free-agent shooting guard would help them overcome the loss of Simmons, who has opted to sign with the Bucks.

By Jerry Crowe, Times Staff Writer

The Clippers will need a late rally to salvage their summer.

Recapping so far:

• They used the 12th pick in last month's NBA draft to take a teenage Russian small forward who might not even be on their roster next season, passing on several shooting guards who might have filled their most pressing need.

• They lost out Friday in the bidding for free agent Bobby Simmons, who bolted for the Milwaukee Bucks, accepting a five-year, $47-million offer.

Their focus now is on landing free-agent guard Cuttino Mobley, who would meet their need for a long-distance shooting threat and whose addition would ease the sting of losing Simmons, their third-leading scorer last season.

Mobley, who made 43.9% of his three-point shots last season to rank third in the NBA, might be a better fit with the Clippers' other projected starters — Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Chris Kaman and Shaun Livingston — and would enable Maggette to move back to small forward, his more natural position. The Clippers last season ranked last in the NBA in three-point shots made and attempted.

Mobley, who made $5.9 million last season, might also require a lesser financial commitment than Simmons, whose open-market value was higher than the Clippers had imagined. But he might cost them a player if he comes to them as part of a sign-and-trade deal with the Sacramento Kings.

Of course, he also could shun the Clippers and sign elsewhere.

The Clippers said last month that they were confident they could land a veteran shooting guard in free agency. That was after they'd passed on a number of available guards, among them Rashad McCants, Antoine Wright, Francisco Garcia and Gerald Green, to draft Muscovite teen Yaroslav Korolev — and before the top free-agent shooting guards started agreeing to deals with other teams.

Of course, the Clippers would love to have added a veteran guard and re-signed Simmons, but that was before Simmons' price shot through the roof.

If they'd met Simmons' demands, they probably would have been out of the running for any of the better shooting guards, based on the club's available cap space of about $16 million. Simmons' defection may mean they'll have little choice but to accede to Mobley's contract demands and could mean that the chances are greater that they'll retain point guard Marko Jaric, a restricted free agent.

They'll have the chance to match any offer made to Jaric. But even that could be problematic. Would Jaric, primarily a starter the last two seasons, be an agreeable backup to Livingston and whoever might be the other backcourt starter?

#1 Hottoddie, Jul 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  2. micah1j

micah1j Member

They could be in the same city but Odom plays for the Fakers not the Clip Joint.

3. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

Joe Johnson and Bobby Simmons both are taller and younger than Mobley, that's all. If all three are on the superstar level, you definitely choose Johnson and Simmons over Mobley. But if you are choosing a third option of the team, you will have to balance everything. I think it wise to choose establishment over potential. Mobley has been a consistent scorer and defender for many years, while Simmons and Johnson each has a single great season. Paying 9M to max for one good season, I really do not understand. Simmons is not worth 9M. The bucks is crazy. Simmons was the most improved player and he was a decent NBA player only since last season. Before that he could not even make a roster. 9M, come on! Johnson shoot a very respectable percentage from the arc, but most of the times he was wide-wide-wide open. And I doubt how he justify max contract without Nash.
    If I am a GM, I will definitely choose Mobley at 7-8M.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"They are a team we are supposed to beat"...

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Clippers can sign Mobley, then we sign Jaric for cheap.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I can already envision 25 million Southern Californians mistaking Mobley's late game barrage of bricks for 'the big one' :D

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Joe Johnson was also the Suns best back-up 1 as well as best shooter. He is very versitle, and very good, with or without Nash. Johnson already is probably a better overall player than Mobley, and defintely better than Simmons.

I do think Mobley makes a lot of sense for the Clips, and vice versa, and will probably make them a better team in the short run than Simmons. But not better than Johnson. Of course the Clips never had a chance at Johnson.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Funny offseason so far. The guards are really raking in the dough, some undeservedly so imo. Meanwhile, the 3 best pfs on the market are looking at close to MLE money unless there is some big sign and trades, which is doubtful.

It'll be interesting to see how much the centers go for.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Probably partly due to the rule changes favoring the perimeter players. No hands defense means the perimeter players have more freedom to drive and shoot.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The centers will probably be majorly overpaid, because the choice young C's are restricted FA's Curry, Chandler, and Dalembert.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A Livingston/Mobley/Maggette/Brand/Kaman would be a pretty good lineup.

12. The Hungarian Rocket

Not in the West...

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuttino Time!
    [​IMG]

14. a-rock

a-rock Member

cat´s getting a little greedy or what??? just found this on realgm!

"He told me he wanted $50 million (over five years)," said Karl, who recently spoke to Mobley on the phone. "My gut says that we like Nene. We like our team. Why break up the nucleus unless we definitely know it's going to be better?"

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Reports say that the Clips are gonna sign Cat for 5yrs/42M. Good to see Cat finally get his payday.

The Clips could turn out to be one of my favorite teams if they play the right way. I like Maggette, I like Cat and Brand, and Livingston looks to be a stud.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More power to him. He's got children to feed. :D

17. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

Mobley to sign with Clippers

Mobley Set To Sign With Clippers
    13th July, 2005 - 3:48 am
    Rocky Mountain News - The Denver Nuggets elected not to complete a sign-and-trade deal that would send Nene to the Kings for Cuttino Mobley. So it appears Kings free-agent shooting guard is bound for the Los Angeles Clippers .

"That's what I'm hearing," Nuggets coach George Karl said Tuesday at the Vegas Summer League.

Indications are Mobley will get a five-year deal worth about $42 million plus incentives.

Players can't sign until July 22.

Mobley opted out of a contract making $6.4 million next season, and his new deal should start at just over $7 million. But Mobley apparently wanted even more.

"He told me he wanted $50 million (over five years)," said Karl, who recently spoke to Mobley on the phone. "My gut says that we like Nene. We like our team. Why break up the nucleus unless we definitely know it's going to be better?" [READ]

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

"An NBA source said Tuesday that the Clippers were close to an agreement with free agent Cuttino Mobley. This the week after Bobby Simmons said he would leave for the Milwaukee Bucks. Let's see: Mobley averaged 17.2 points a game for the Orlando Magic and Sacramento Kings last season, Simmons 16.4 a game, giving the Clippers a net gain of 0.8 of a point." Los Angeles Times

"The Kings, though, say they believe Mobley will soon be a Clipper. "I haven't heard it officially," club President Geoff Petrie told the Sacramento Bee, "but after my last conversation with Andy [Miller], it definitely sounded like the way he was headed. "I'm going to assume that that is what is going to happen. I'm going to talk to him one more time in the morning." Los Angeles Times

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3922777,00.html

Indications are Mobley will get a five-year deal worth about $42 million plus incentives.

Players can't sign until July 22.

Mobley opted out of a contract making $6.4 million next season, and his new deal should start at just over $7 million. But Mobley apparently wanted even more.

"He told me he wanted $50 million (over five years)," said Karl, who recently spoke to Mobley on the phone. "My gut says that we like Nene. We like our team. Why break up the nucleus unless we definitely know it's going to be better?"

:eek:

19. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I'm glad he's going to the Clips instead of Denver. Denver is a legitimate threat. He will make the Clips better but something always happen to sink them.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Looks like Mobley will get more than what he opted out of and a lot of people didnt think that would happen (I was one of them). Money is just flowing this offseason. Props to Mobley. I actually think the Clippers are a great situation for him. He has Livingston to pass him the rock. He can open up the middle for Brand with his outside shot. The real question will be Mobley and Maggette fighting over the ball. It will be interesting to see how they handle the shot distribution between the two of them.

Interesting that Mobley isnt going to get that much less than what Simmons got in Milwaukee. Makes me wonder if the Clippers took a hard line stance with Simmons. Simmons is 25 and Mobley is 29. I am surprised the Clippers didnt just pony up a few million more for the younger guy. Then again, perhaps they liked Mobley's outside shooting as a better fit for the team.