1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LA Times] Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Sep 28, 2010.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I saw this article and came straight here to complain and -- lo and behold -- I couldn't even find a thread on it, lol. So, here it is. I'm sure it should make my fellow atheists feel pretty good about themselves.

http://mobile.latimes.com/wap/news/...23170009&cid=16686&scid=-1&ith=1&title=Nation

[rquoter]Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says

By Mitchell Landsberg, Los Angeles Times
    Story posted 2010.09.27 at 09:07 PM PDT

If you want to know about God, you might want to talk to an atheist.

Heresy? Perhaps. But a survey that measured Americans' knowledge of religion found that atheists and agnostics knew more, on average, than followers of most major faiths. In fact, the gaps in knowledge among some of the faithful may give new meaning to the term "blind faith."

A majority of Protestants, for instance, couldn't identify Martin Luther as the driving force behind the Protestant Reformation, according to the survey, released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. Four in 10 Catholics misunderstood the meaning of their church's central ritual, incorrectly saying that the bread and wine used in Holy Communion are intended to merely symbolize the body and blood of Christ, not actually become them.

Atheists and agnostics — those who believe there is no God or who aren't sure — were more likely to answer the survey's questions correctly. Jews and Mormons ranked just below them in the survey's measurement of religious knowledge — so close as to be statistically tied.

So why would an atheist know more about religion than a Christian?

American atheists and agnostics tend to be people who grew up in a religious tradition and consciously gave it up, often after a great deal of reflection and study, said Alan Cooperman, associate director for research at the Pew Forum.

"These are people who thought a lot about religion," he said. "They're not indifferent. They care about it."

Atheists and agnostics also tend to be relatively well educated, and the survey found, not surprisingly, that the most knowledgeable people were also the best educated. However, it said that atheists and agnostics also outperformed believers who had a similar level of education.

The groups at the top of the U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey were followed, in order, by white evangelical Protestants, white Catholics, white mainline Protestants, people who were unaffiliated with any faith (but not atheist or agnostic), black Protestants and Latino Catholics.

Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists were included in the survey, but their numbers were too small to be broken out as statistically significant groups.

Stephen Prothero, a professor of religion at Boston University and author of "Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know — And Doesn't," served as an advisor on the survey. "I think in general the survey confirms what I argued in the book, which is that we know almost nothing about our own religions and even less about the religions of other people," he said.

He said he found it significant that Mormons, who are not considered Christians by many fundamentalists, showed greater knowledge of the Bible than evangelical Christians.

The Rev. Adam Hamilton, a Methodist minister from Leawood, Kan., and the author of "When Christians Get it Wrong," said the survey's results may reflect a reluctance by many people to dig deeply into their own beliefs and especially into those of others.

"I think that what happens for many Christians is, they accept their particular faith, they accept it to be true and they stop examining it. Consequently, because it's already accepted to be true, they don't examine other people's faiths. … That, I think, is not healthy for a person of any faith," he said.

The Pew survey was not without its bright spots for the devout. Eight in 10 people surveyed knew that Mother Teresa was Catholic. Seven in 10 knew that, according to the Bible, Moses led the exodus from Egypt and that Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

The question that elicited the most correct responses concerned whether public school teachers are allowed to lead their classes in prayer. Eighty-nine percent of the respondents correctly said no. However, 67% also said that such teachers are not permitted to read from the Bible as an example of literature, something the law clearly allows.

For comparison purposes, the survey also asked some questions about general knowledge, which yielded the scariest finding: 4% of Americans believe that Stephen King, not Herman Melville, wrote "Moby Dick." [/rquoter]

The Pew Research website is completely slammed, so I couldn't find a copy of the whole host of survey questions. However, I found a couple of samplings that gave me about 10 of the 32 questions. And so here's my complaint: this is a test on facts in religion, and not on doctrine.

Of course, it's hard to make a survey on doctrine. But, what I find maddening is how completely ignorant atheists tend to be on what makes religious people tick. So, if an atheist knows who Moses was but doesn't know that Protestants believe that you cannot find salvation by being a good person (and what that means), I can't really say he's more theologically literate.

The closest I see this survey get is asking about the Catholic belief in transubstantiation. And, some of the questions are just plain political (like about what public school teachers are allowed to teach).

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

i don't know any atheists who think protestants believe you can be saved by just being a good person. paul made it pretty clear that people are saved thru salvation, not works. and in ephesians it says, "for it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God."

most atheists i know are former christians and muslims, so that might be where my perspective comes from.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

To be fair, I think most "religious" people are ignorant in regards to doctrine as well.

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

You know what they say:

Religion is a lot like a software license agreement. People just scroll to the bottom and click "I Agree".

2 people like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's because atheism is in a constant state of defense. Only recently has that started to change a little...

6. Steve_Francis_rules

I don't think many atheists think Protestants believe you can find salvation by just being a good person.

In fact, I would say that's probably a big part of the problem a lot of atheists have with religions. It doesn't matter how good a person you are. If you don't believe in religion X, you're going to hell. Well, if every religion says that, why should I believe in any of them? What kind of God is going to send people to hell for being a good person who didn't happen to read the right book and follow the right vision of Him?

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

because if there is one thing that atheists need, it's a survey that gives them reason to feel superior / more intelligent. Also, anyone else find humor in agnostics being touted as knowing more about religion than most?

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That they used this as evidence really hurts this survey's credibility in my mind. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Catholics have to learn this during their catechism classes. I would guess that 40% is somewhere around the percentage that don't really believe in transubstantiation. And they may state their own belief instead of the church's belief. On the other hand, most atheists know this, and they like to pick on Christians about cannibalism.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would like to screw around with these polls and represent 100,000 or so people.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Somebody may have already beaten you to the punch. This poll was done by the Los Angeles Times, whose credibility is a notch above the almost non-existent credibility of the New York Times.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Very well said!

Religion and doctrine are completely two different things. Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Buddhism are different religions, each with their various doctrines. This article lumps many doctrines into simple categories like "protestant". Further, doctrines vary from country to country. Then you have independent churches that believe whatever they want (Westboro Baptist). Personally I believe the article is very misleading. The writer is about uneducated in theological studies as the average religious person.

But I certainly agree, religious people are very uneducated when it comes to their own belief. What many fail to understand is that religion is about faith. When a person starts seeking answers and proof about God (or whatever the belief is), it will naturally lead to agnosticism or atheism. If a person has proof, its no longer faith. So naturally, a person who seeks answers will be much more knowledgeable than the person who accepts God on faith.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I would like to see a survey investigating how many people truly understand the holy trinity, especially the exact nature of the "holy ghost." :grin:

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

says the man who probably gets his news from the San Antonio Express-News

:p

14. thumbs

Wrong, kimosabe, even though I worked for the Light and the Express-News at different times. I read five regional newspapers on-line daily, including the Chron and the Dallas Morning News. I'll let you guess the other three, but you might be surprised.

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

man, that's telling

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

really? i found it kind of insulting and a bit shallow with respect to what faith is.

17. JuanValdez

Yes and no. When looking at the religions of others, certainly. When looking at the official positions of their own denominations, often enough. Looking at the unofficial doctrine of the culture of their own denomination, they'll have a pretty good grasp. Atheists generally aren't trying to understand the religion. So, getting good marks on a test about what's in the textbook isn't a very good indicator, in my mind, on literacy.

I suppose my complaint is a big 'so what?' Maybe most atheists know what it means to be saved by grace (I know enough of them that aren't familiar with much about it besides the catchphrase), but the survey doesn't test that. It's more of a trivia contest than a literacy test.

18. thumbs

I don't agree with your assessment. From my own personal experience, the more I read the Bible and reason it out, the stronger my belief in God and His message has become.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd like to see them interview random people on the street.

20. JuanValdez

Actually the survey was done by the Pew Research Center. And, I think the credibility of the LA Times and the NY Times is actually quite high everywhere except your own mind. Regardless, reports on this study were published by many outlets; I picked the LA Times because they were at the top of the list in Google. The funny thing is that I also noticed the Fox News headline, which was something innocuous like "Survey finds gaps in American religious understanding," with no mention of the ratings of various groups.