1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie threatened to pull a Tmac

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

@DaGreatest

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

no breh, I'm saying he signed a contract a contract and should honor it. but contracts don't mean a thing in sports

3. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Came in thinking Kyrie was threatening to lead the Celtics to win 22 games in a row

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Honor his contract? Like how teams trade these guys at any time. It goes both ways.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

im
    i'm not taking sides with teams in this instance. I'm against players refusing to play and ruining team chemistry. it's bad for the team and for the fans. ideally they should still play and give maximum effort. we all hated mergady for pulling that shiz, this isn't any different.

6. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

What does being traded have to do with purposefully not playing and sabotaging your team?

Unless you have a no trade clause, you know being traded is part of the job. And similarly when your contract ends, players are free to sign with any team they want without regard to "loyalty". That part I agree with and that's as far as it goes.

But when you are under contract, you can be expected to show up and do your job. In fact, I think a player that is clearly refusing to play when able should be fired for cause due to breach of contract and banned.

#26 celebrevida, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    deadlybulb and Jontro like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

by deciding he didnt want to be at the mercy of lebron the coach, president, gm, and everything else he is, pretty sure hes glad he isnt part of the circus thats going on and turned out to make the correct decision for himself and asked to be traded. i see nothing wrong with that. especially after people called him dumb for not wanting to play with lebron. my how that looks foolish

Jontro likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

in this case, i would agree. thats not KI's case though. obviously to me this rumor/gossip is pretty much trash but you're free to believe whatever

#28 YOLO, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Jontro likes this.
  9. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

It is fine to ask to be traded. But the Cavaliers have no obligation to do so. And as long as he is under contract, he can be expected to do his job to the best of his ability. If the Cavaliers decided not to trade him and he refuses to play, he needs to be fired for cause, same as if I refused to show up for work.

Jontro likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

i agree. it's a shame sports don't follow the same professional standard that you and i have to abide by. if a team fires a player, especially of kyrie's caliber, another team can just pick him up and pay him anyway. unless the league steps in and create rules to prevent mergady from repeating, players will continue to dictate.

Exiled likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cool, nobody Hodored for him.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Nick Wright is correct
    This is over the line.

If you want to sit out . . . and sabotage the team . . . . kool
    but
    You want to still get your check . .AND sabotage the team . . not kool

Rocket River

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is the fatal error in people's logic about McGrady. He derailed his $20M/year career out of spite? For what? Against who?

Much more likely that his body was actually breaking down and that was just the beginning of the end.

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Tmac was injured but kyrie isn’t, so how would kyrie get a surgery?

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Propaganda from the Cavs

16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

He shouldn't be getting paid, that's the ultimate treatment. Teams can trade players whenever, but they still are getting paid. Kyrie would bail on his team AND get paid.

SIL

17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Shaq actually did this, BTW

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course he has the freedom to choose where he'd like to work, like in a local McDonald's.

I am amazed how people would think pro players are slaves. Slaves can't quit. These guys can always quit. They just don't want to let go of millions of dollars.

It's people like us who can't quit our jobs because we can't afford to do so.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Also a good question.

20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I would have 100% called his bluff. Trading him makes sense if you get the right player, but if all that was available was IT and Crowder you let Kyrie stay on the bench until he's done crying. IT was already going to miss significant time, so its not like you get production at the beginning of the season anyways. Kyrie would have likely came back and the Cavs would be coming out of the East with certainty. If not, then you're essentially in the same position you are now with a disgruntled Lebron and co. If that is the case then you trade Lebron/let him walk and try to convince Kyrie to stay long term with the Cavs being his team, or just wait to trade him in a better deal down the road. IT had negative value because there is no way you sign him for a supermax of $189mm with his hip injury being 28 years old and one dimensional. Plenty of examples of players changing their minds just this season alone.