1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving wants out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jul 21, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He was referencing Harden bristling at Howard trying to take his shine here in Houston. It was a weak reference in the article, should have just omitted it.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Irving is not the first sidekick to seek a larger role, or the first superstar to engineer his way out of town. This is the latest version of Carmelo Anthony and Paul George telling their teams, "I will not come back," only Irving is doing it early enough -- with two guaranteed years left on his deal -- for Cleveland to demand a haul. James Harden -- a name Irving's camp has mentioned -- yearned to run his own show, and then chafed when Dwight Howard homed in on his territory. Kobe Bryant famously clashed with Shaquille O'Neal, forcing the Lakers to choose one or the other in the end.

Coaches do it, too. Most recently, Dave Joerger essentially got himself fired from Memphis so that he could sign a richer, longer deal in Sacramento.

3. War Machine

War Machine Member

They really want him, they will have him. They have a ton of assets.

#543 War Machine, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don't

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Even though the Celtics have the assets to get it done, I don't see why Cleveland would want to do any deal that makes the Celtics better. Unless Gilbert just wants to stick it to LeBron before he bolts.

7. War Machine

War Machine Member

Yea it's unlikely unless the Cavs get an offer they simply can't refuse, like a young, promising player + BKN's unprotected 1st next year. Otherwise, they're better off dealing To to the West or a lesser East team like the Pistons or Hornets. Probably just Ainge doing due diligence.

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

It would have to be IT + the BK pick, right? Would make no sense to have IT and Kyrie together... 2 midget no-pass, no-defense point guards...

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I just can't realistically find the market and ideal trade for for Irving.

I'm willing to bet they don't trade him and hold onto him ala Kobe when he requested.

Next year, they move on from LeBron and "retool/rebuil" around Irving and let it be his team.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. War Machine

War Machine Member

Most likely, although I think the Cavs would want another young player like Jaylen Brown too. Also, Kyrie is no midget at 6'3.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I don't think it makes sense for the Celtics to give up any more than IT + the pick... adding Jaylen Brown would make it a loss for them imo. And I always thought Irving was around 6'0... guess he plays smaller than he is.

12. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Damn, the 2k cover curse is real.

14 - Lebron - left the heat
    15 - durant - left okc
    16 does not count (shared cover)
    17 - paul george - now on the thunder
    18 - kyrie - this was the fastest one

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Richard Jefferson says he understands Kyrie Irving's trade request

Cleveland Cavaliers forward Richard Jefferson said that Kyrie Irving's search for a more stable situation by requesting a trade is understandable considering the state of the franchise.

"I think Kyrie is a hyper-intelligent kid," Jefferson said on the latest episode of his "Road Trippin'" podcast, released Monday. "Really, really smart. Doesn't get enough credit for how smart he is, and I think seeing that the franchise is in flux, I think seeing [David Griffin] leave and the amount of coaches ... I think Kyrie has had a much tougher time in this stretch of the organization than anyone ever wants to ever really fully [recognize].

"He's the No. 1 pick right after LeBron [left for Miami in 2010], then he has three different coaches, then LeBron comes back, now there's trade rumors, now it's 'LeBron's leaving.' It's like at some point in time, anybody would want some sort of stability."

Jefferson, whose podcast is hosted on James' "Uninterrupted" multimedia platform, took exception to the notion that Irving's trade request is being fueled by any sort of feud with James.

"I don't think that there's a power struggle, like with LeBron and Kyrie and [Kevin Love]," Jefferson said.

"I think Kyrie knows how important he is to our team," Jefferson said. "LeBron knows how important he is. He has been on this podcast. They have been on this podcast together multiple times together where 'Bron was like, 'Dude, this is my guy, I need him. He is so important to me, my kids love him.' And again, just like any family there are ups and downs, there are moments that you hate them, moments that you love them, and then you just kind of keep it moving."

14. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Cavs might play hardball and keep him but its tough to see how that will work after lebrons snappin about being heart heavy and kevin love is subtweeting his use of the word "peculiar" lol.

Im guessing that it will be phoenix, denver, or minnesota.

Boston only if they really offer something that cavs cant recuse but they probably won't. Cavs dont want to face a kyrie/hayward led boston in the ECF

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

He cannot be serious, do people actually believe he believes this? Guess he's smarter than I thought

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He is so smart that he believes the earth is flat.

Edit: ATW beat me to it.

BTW, wasn't Kyrie running his own show before LeBron came back to the Cavs? How did it work?

18. itony

itony Member

Kyrie for IT swap?? IT is demanding max contract next year...

19. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

20. lionaire

lionaire Member

Cavs must be feeling awful knowing they could've had PG for Irving straight up