1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving vs. Steven Curry

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Exiled, May 30, 2016.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I am not a Curry fan. I am really happy he failed and the cavs won. However Curry is clearly better than Irving.
    Both are terrible defenders.
    Curry the better scorer and playmaker.

At what I Irving better?
    You can argue that he is better at getting his own shot (I do not think this is true) of and atacking the ring, but this does not lead to more assist or points or higher FG% (even though Curry shots much more 3 pointers). So at what is Irving better?

I do not think Irving could be the main guy on a team that wins a championship (or even make a huge play off run).

2. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I understand your points but:

Better ball handler: Irving
    Better defender: Irving may not be the greatest defender and has been awful in the past but he put in work on that end in the finals

Irving is clearly better at attacking the rim and is a better a finisher (I know Curry had an insanely high fg% around the rim but the finals showed that Irving is the greatest finisher in the league).

Irving is lethal from mid range, Curry is allergic to the mid range game.

As for the better playmaker argument:

Curry averaged 3.7 assists per game in the finals, Irving 4. Curry also averaged 4.3 turnovers a game in the finals. That's just awful.

Over the regular season Curry averaged 6.7 assists per game as the primary ball handler of the team and having a similar USG % to Harden. Irving played second fiddle to LEBRON JAMES and still averaged 4.7 assists per game.

So I respectfully disagree that Curry is the better playmaker, if anything it's been shown he's not particularly creative with the ball when you play exceptionally disciplined team Defense against him.

As for the better scorer, Irving is the second option. Irving scored at will in the finals, Curry shot 40% from the floor.

Sure, I agree that Irving couldn't be the number one option for a championship team but neither could Curry this season. He also has the luxury of playing alongside klay Thompson and Draymond Green who can go off at any moment and any night.

So apart from being the better shooter, why is Curry clearly better? There's really not a lot of difference between the two and the gap is not that pronounced.

3. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Also: Irving is just 24. Curry is 29 next year.

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

HUGE point. Irving will be better than Curry at his age no doubt. After this series it's safe to say the skill gap between the two isn't as big as people once though.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Exactly.

6. VanityHalfBlack

Irving, obviously.

7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

As well as Lebron played, this series was over in 4 or 5 without Kyrie.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Irving should have won the players' MVP award. ;)

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Holy crap Curry is old, I never realized how many years he spent in college, I thought he was younger than Harden

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Curry is a late bloomer. Nobody expected him to be this good just three years ago, let alone when he was in college. He is kind of like Nash who doesn't have otherworldly physical talent but has worked to hone the skills he is good at to an elite level. Nash kept on improving after he turned 30.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That's fair, and I agree. Makes me wonder how last year would have gone if Kyrie was healthy then, as well.

Curry is a better shooter, passer, defender (both are bad, but still...). Kyrie probably has him in handles and finishing at the rim. That's about it.

Having said that...I think the gap between the two is smaller than you'd think.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2016 Finals:<br>Steph Curry: 22.6 ppg (40.3 FG%), 3.7 apg, 0.9 steals, 4.3 TO's<br><br>Kyrie Irving: 27.1 ppg (46.8 FG%), 3.9 apg, 2.1 stls, 2.5 TO's</p>&mdash; Tommy Beer (@TommyBeer) <a href="https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/744902940729671681">June 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. BigTex

BigTex Member

yeah crazy. He is only 3

14. BigTex

BigTex Member

...whoops...only 3 years younger than lebron. And lebron has 9 more all star selections

15. jsingles

jsingles Member

I'll take the player who in the NBA finals thoroughly outplayed the other while winning the championship.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Curry had a higher TS% than Irving. When you jack as many threes as he does FG% shouldn't be used.

17. hvic

hvic Member

he was more consistent than lebron in the finals

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Kyrie Irving and Russell Westbrook took Steph Curry to the woodshed.

1 person likes this.
  19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Irving was way better on D than curry in the finals. Not even close. Curry is truly pathetic on that end. Don't agree with the passing either, read my post above about that.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes. And they not only beat him like a drum but they took away his soul too. Curry was all kinds of frazzled.