1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving vs John Wall

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lucnguye92, Jul 17, 2013.

?

Whose going to be better in two years?

1. John Wall

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Kyrie Irving

34 vote(s)
    81.0%
  1. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Kyrie Irving posted:
    59 59 34.7 .452 .391 .855 3.7 5.9 1.5 0.4 22.5

John Wall posted:
    49 42 32.7 .441 .267 .804 4.0 7.6 1.3 0.8 18.5

Arguably, Kyrie has the better jump shot but Wall is simply more explosive and faster. Both had an injury riddled season but if these two were in the same draft, and you had the first overall pick, who would it be?

In another argument, who would win 1 on 1? Honestly, I'm siding with Wall. He can always improve his jump shot and his base skills are higher up the ladder than Irvings. Than again, Irving came in as a more complete player. So what do you guys think?

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Its even more impressive considering that Wall still get those type of numbers while he is shooting worst than rondo.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Would be a badass one on one battle

4. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

That's what I'm thinking. I mean they were both first round picks, both cornerstone franchises, and they both play the point position. Arguably, Irving is a more complete player at his point of career, but considering that Wall can possibly get there, how much better can he get?

They're both fast, with Wall being bigger, more athletic and faster. I would really rather see this showdown than the 1 on 1 that Irving proposed earlier against Kobe.

5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Irving just turned 21. Wall will be 23 in 2 months.

Wall is 6'2.75" bare feet. Irving is 6'1.75" bare feet. Wall is not big enough to play SG even if he somehow developed a shot. Irving is actually above average sized for a NBA point guard.

Irving is better at every aspect of basketball. yes he is better defensively. According to Synergy, opponents score 0.85 points per possession (PPP) against Irving, which makes him the 149th ranked defensive player. Wall gives up 0.89 PPP, which is 256th in the league. On the offense, Wall scores 0.88 PPP, while Irving is at an elite 0.95 PPP.

Irving has way better handles. They have about the same vision. Their shooting is not comparable. Irving shoots as well as a NBA pure shooter. He just won the 3 point contest. John Wall does not have a jump shot beyond 6 feet.

At this point of their career, the two players are not even comparable. Irving is light years ahead.

6. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

I think it's closer than you think. I acknowledge that Kyrie is the better shooter. I'm still skeptical on the defensive stats. Think about it this way, Wall is still able to score at an above average clip without a jump shot. He can draw fouls and convert them at 80%.

The only thing separating them as of now, is the jump shot. So what happens after Wall develops one? Kidd was able to do it, Lowry was able to do it, a franchise #1 pick sure as hell needs to be able to do it.

7. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

The only thing separating Ray Allen and Kirk Snyder is the jump shot. The only thing separating JJ Redick and a homeless person is a jump shot.

8. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Funny. The only thing separating JJ Redick and a homeless person is years of basketball experience, training and athleticism. You're trying to say that John Wall, is a homeless person compared to Kyrie Irving? Get real. I'm not downplaying Kyrie, but don't try to down play John Wall's ability, it's very real.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I think Wall is a better playmaker for others but his career shooting %s kind of suck and he doesn't really have a 3 pt shot. Kyrie is a better shooter, better handles, and has elite clutch ability.

10. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i pick kyrie all day

11. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

That's a respectable opinion. I do agree that he is the better overall complete player and that he's already ahead of Wall. Now, what does Wall need to make it a better debate? Do you think it's possible that he can achieve that higher level?

12. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Kidd and Lowry don't have jump shots. They have an average 3 point shot.

Irving is already elite at 3 point shooting, elite at mid range. If shots could be developed, everyone in the NBA would be a dead eye shooter. Wall has made little to no progress on his jump shot in his first 3 years.

Irving was statistically one of the worst defenders in the league. He has become above average in just one year.

Athleticism is so overrated. Battier is slow as ****, but he'll D the crap out of you. Basketball is a game of skill.

13. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

*Irving was statistically one of the worst defenders in the league his rookie year.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Kyrie is better, but some serious disrespect for John Wall around here. It's closer than people think.

LOL @ Irving being "light years" and "not even comparable"...

15. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

It's in their nature to downplay the opposition to make their choice seem even more right.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Kyrie is the better scorer, but Wall is the better passer and defender.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not sure why people always pose this question when this NEVER happens. I've never seen a real life one-on-one, not in the pros or even in just normal people playing bball, court time is too precious to have just 2 dudes playing when you can have a 3-on-3 or a real 5-on-5 game. You can't even say this will happen in a real game because the Wizards and the Cavs won't stand by and let them duel, if they see a chance to block/steal the ball they do it.

As far as pg goes Irving is younger and already has the better skillset. Sure they both have injuries, but Wall is 100% dependent on athleticism, Irving isn't. Irving is light years ahead of Wall, Wall has so much he needs to learn and he's already older than Irving.

18. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Relax, it's a fun conversation to have. You never had arguments over who would win between certain players? Imagining them putting forth their best moves and tenacity? It's just pure speculation of course, but entertaining nonetheless.

There we go again with the whole "light years" thing. You're making it seem like Wall is a pedestrian compared to Irving when we have people on this board arguing whether Lin or Irving is better. We have two 1st round picks, two players who play the PG position, who are different in playing style.

19. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I agree that there aren't light years between them, but Irving is clearly the better player right now.

I will say that while Wall's second year was disappointing, there was a significant improvement in his game after coming back from knee surgury. He shot the ball more, more effeciently, and turned it over less. , Another step forward after a healthy offseason shouldn't surprise anyone.

The question then will be whether or not Kyrie's game improves, or shows the slow-but-steady progress of a more polished draft day prospect.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess I'm just not convinced Wall will turn out to be anything special, the guy doesn't seem to have a strong work ethic as he has no skills and is basically the same player the Wiz drafted a year ago. I think he'll get injured again and become pedestrian in a couple of years.