1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving traded for Isaiah Thomas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by alexcapone, Aug 22, 2017.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

No way man. Not at all. Bradley and Crowder are two great role players and Kyrie is better than IT. Plus it's no certainty that whatever pick the Cavs get is a sure thing. You guys are truly underrating Irving and Hayward. Celtics had a great summer. Cavs did well for themselves as well.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Horrible trade for the Celtics. Kyrie is a melo pg

Gorki likes this.
  3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I don't get this trade at all.

Thomas was a fan favorite in Boston and was in the MVP conversation last season. Irving might be a slight upgrade but only marginally so, he's certainly not as good of a scorer as Thomas is. Why did Boston give up Thomas and the first round pick??? Does not make any sense at all for Boston to make this trade unless they're certain that IT would leave. Even then, it seems like they got fleeced.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

@dwil8686 you aren't wrong when you say this is probably the best return they could of got, but I would of wanted a star player who doesn't expire right away. Now Cleveland still might beat the Celtics because they have lebron, but beating them won't sway his decision if it's a no contest for gsw.

I recently was thinking a good destination for Kyrie would be Denver, but haven't put any thought to who they would give up.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

IT will need to be paid next summer, $30M+ per year. Kyrie is locked in for three more years at old cap numbers. I feel Kyrie is better than IT, not by a lot, but definitely better. Plus four years younger. I think Celtics had reached their peak as long as Bron is Cleveland so might as well make this move.

6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I think the opposite, to begin with, Isiah is not number one option player that you can win with. Smaller players tend to have shorter careers.
    He supposedly said that he doesn't care what Boston does, he wants his max.
    Kyrie is a better all around player.
    Yea he was a favorite but they will get over it very quickly especially since he had a high percentage of leaving.

But wouldn't it have been easier if the celtics took Fultz and traded isiah for Hayward of Butler to begin with?

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lol. Ainge overpaid for Kyrie LMAO!!!

8. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Irving is not a big upgrade over Thomas but add Crowder (great anchor player) and what I read was the Nets pick which is unpretected. That's crazy. They unloaded essentially all the players that made them successful except Horford and Smart. And for what it's worth all my Celtic fan friend feel they've been sent to hell

Tha_Dude and da_juice like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

uhh they got the best player in the deal, and with lebron leaving around the corner, theyre clearly #1 in the east

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So LerBron to Houston confirmed

11. Sanity2disChaos

What's Boston roster look like now??

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

so lerbon confirmed to leave?

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kyrie and IT are both PG scorers who play zero D

Crowder is a decent wing. At best it's a good trade for both teams.

14. Sanity2disChaos

Damn could the pacers have held PG longer in time for a swap with Cleveland? I think I recall someone mentioning it.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They weren't going to re-sign IT. Crowder is nice but you don't want to pay his next contract. Zezic or whatever might be good, I have no idea.

Really the only BIG thing they gave up is the BKN pick. And if doing so makes them the powerhouse of the East after this year, it was well worth it. Plus, they still have another great pick don't they? The Lakers I think?

ElPigto and YOLO like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Is there anyway we can get in on this trade add the rocks and knicks.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Indiana kicking themselves now. First deal I've seen Ainge "lose"

19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Well, he certainly won't be going to Boston now so you can take them off the list.

Doubt he ends up in Houston, though. Probably has something to do with "basketball reasons", I would guess.

20. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Whose paying IT $30 million?

Just go ahead and do the math, IT plays the position that has the least scarcity in the NBA now, the PG.

There were 5 point guards taken in the top 10 of the draft this past season and 4 of 5 will start on opening night.

Of the teams that have cap space next year or could clear cap space next year and are lacking a PG now or in the future, all you really have are Chicago, Indiana, Orlando, LA Clips, and maybe Atlanta (if Schroeder isn't good this year).

Of those teams I could really only see the Clips going all out for him, possibly the Magic. Who knows maybe one of them pays him, but the Cavs likely let him walk.