1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Orton Waived...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, Nov 22, 2011.

1. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

I'd like to see him brought in just in case Leinart wets the bed. Thoughts?

2. YourSecretLover

i think he will go to bears

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

4. pge71188

pge71188 Member

[​IMG]

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

it's interesting. seems like they are too loyal to leinart and that it's his job the rest of the way. i think he's the bears starting qb week 13.

smart of the broncos to cut him instead of trading him before the season. elway is a moron and has no business being in the front office.

6. ABforPresident

We have the same record as the Bears...does anyone know how the waiver order goes after record?

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Someone will claim him on waivers (that is the only reason the Broncos released him, because they know now is a good time to get his salary off the books).

Waivers is based on record, so Texans and Bears are going to be low on the pecking order (and, not to sound like Mcclain, but not sure Texans have cap space for Orton's $5 mil salary).

My bet is on the Chiefs, or maybe the Cardinals. Dolphins as dark horse since they were interested in the offseason. He's a solid NFL QB so I just don't see him falling to the Texans or Bears.

Opponents win % I believe.

#7 DieHard Rocket, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  8. da_juice

da_juice Member

If the Bears can get him, I think they do.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Would definitely welcome him here.

Denver is a mess.

10. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

RT @AndrewSiciliano: Despite identical 7-3 records, the Texans have waiver claim priority over the Bears due to Houston's easier strength of schedule.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bears? Chiefs? Dolphins? Redskins? Seahawks? Texans?

#11 J.R., Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  12. cardpire

cardpire Member

i guess the chiefs are only 2 games out of their division, but something tells me they are going to throw in the towel and maybe see what they have in stanzi rather than pay for orton to start their last 5 games. matt moore is playing well for the dolphins, so also no reason for them to sign him at this point. cards are paying the hell out of kolb, and he'll be back in a week or 2.

i think the bears place the only claim. my extreme darkhorse would be the falcons, in an effort to block the bears, who will be main competition for a wild card spot, and the falcons have no decent backup to ryan anyway.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I don't know how NFL waivers work but does Orton have a say on where he wants to go?

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Orton was god awful this year, no thanks. I'll take my chances with Leinart

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

I would imagine, he's sort of like a free agent, no?

16. DieHard Rocket

Nevermind on Cardinals and Dolphins, I thought Orton was under contract for 2012. They wouldn't pick him up just for this season.

I don't see the Chiefs or any team "throwing in the towel" being 2 games out though. If they don't get him he might just be a Texan. Sucks for the Bears, lol.

No, he has to clear waivers which means every team has the option to pick up his current contract (in order of worst record to best). If nobody claims him, he is a FA after that.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

well, he wouldnt start for them this week, and they are going to get obliterated by the steelers on sunday night, so they will be 3 games out with 5 to go. let me rephrase "throwing in the towel" to "having the common sense to realize that kyle orton isnt a substantial enough upgrade to waste money on to give them a significantly better shot of overcoming a 3 game deficit with 5 games to play given how god awful the rest of their roster is".

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

AlbertBreer Albert Breer

19. cod

cod Member

20. DieHard Rocket

I don't disagree, but Palko was downright terrible against the worst ranked pass D so they'd probably be better off starting Orton right away even without practice time (just like Carson did in Oak). It's not at all likely the Chiefs even get to 8-8 with their schedule, but you never know in the NFL and that might be enough in the AFCW.

At 1.3 mil they might deem it worthwhile and gives them a shot at signing him as a backup next year (since they have nothing).