1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry pleads no contest, gets 100 hours of community service

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 2, 2012.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Could have been worse.

2. xAliceInChains

This, it could have been so much worse if the prosecution would have really hammered this one down. 100hrs is good. Lowry lost his temper and he has to play the price, and he got out of this one relatively well off.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Should have saved it for the SA refs

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Waaa Haaaa the big bad man told me I was a bad referee and threw a ball at me.... waaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaa I'm gonna call the police and press charges waaaaaaaaaaaaa :rolleyes:

Sheeeesh.

I hope she stays away from all basketball courts from now on. Christ Ive seen and been involved in actual fights because of all the extra energy and emotion but no cops were called, no charges were filed and we were all back on the court as soon as it was over. Most of the times we were friends before and after. Big stinken deal.

For all those that say a complete waste of tax payers money, I agree.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe some of you are defending this type of behavior. Not only is this a ref its also a woman. I mean do you guys go around hitting women because you get frustrated at a basketball game.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Being a female should not factor into anything. Lowry threw a ball at the ref and end of story.

If the ref was a guy, he just wasted people's time. If the ref was a woman, she just wasted people's time. This whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

HAHA! I never heard about this.

Is there a video of it happening? How bad was it really?

A dude threw a ball at me during a pick up game the other day and charged at me before he got held back by some friends. Should I charge him with assult and waste everyones' time? :rolleyes:

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

My friend was playing rugby league and got 10 year suspension for punching a ref.

I was playing in Australian minor league basketball and had a female ref that didn't appreciate my trash talk and constant pressure defence ( with a few old school holds, bumps and shoves) on a player 6" taller than me to the point where when he picked me up and slammed me to the floor I looked up and asked 'what no foul?'
    Her reply was, 'you deserved it mate'

She then gave me a tech for arguing the call.

I felt like throwing the ball at her.

True story.

I'm glad that this is now behind Lowry & KLow can get back to his All Star form.

10. Red Rising

Red Rising Member

I agree, I've been in fights on the court as well, no cops were called. It's funny how some people on here are trying to make Lowry look like a low life criminal, like they have done nothing wrong in their lives. Truly pathetic.

You are just as bad as Lowry if you are judging him for this. Lowry wouldn't care anyways, he'd probably through the ball at y'all too. The ref was probably making bad calls, you go Lowry.

11. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

In no way am I defending what Kyle did ,but if it was a male ref. he did that too nothing would of happened. It seems to much for just throwing a ball at somebody.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Look, it's Anthony Davis second from the right!

13. Red Rising

Red Rising Member

FIXED

I agree, I've been in fights on the court as well, no cops were called. It's funny how some people on here are trying to make Lowry look like a low life criminal, like they have done nothing wrong in their lives. Truly pathetic.

You are just as bad as Lowry if you are judging him for this. Lowry wouldn't care anyways, he'd probably throw the ball at y'all too. The ref was probably making bad calls, you go Lowry.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The ref was a victim, of a basketball being tossed at her... :)

Right...

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I've been in fights & done things I've regretted (on the same scale or worse than throwing a ball) while playing sports. Afterwords we talked it over and (usually) I apologized and pretty much always legitimately felt bad.

HOWEVER - if someone had walked off, got cops involved, and tried to prosecute me, I'd be pretty livid, you'd better believe that. Sports are physical and on a total different plane of emotion than a dinner table argument. This doesn't excuse Kyle's actions outright, but it suggests that his actions should have been viewed relative to the circumstances. 100 hours of community service fits, I think. Anything worse and I'd be miffed.

What's the most damage you will do to someone even with an intentional throw of a basketball? Not much. It follows then that you're not likely intending to seriously injure by throwing a basketball. And verbal assault of a ref during a sporting event? Is that really worth time in court? In this case it's just a side dish to spice up the blandness of the main course.

I think two things make this case different: the male-female factor and the fact that it was a 'organized' setting.

None of this excuses what Kyle did on an ethical level.

#55 napalm06, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  16. RedNation

Its a freakin basketball. Not a bowling ball. If the ref was smart, she would have cought it.

If something like this happened in an nba game I wonder what would have happened. Tech foul, 2 game suspension and a fine?

17. RedNation

Fixed..

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't want to defend what Kyle did.
    One thing for what is worth..... That woman could have heckled him.
    Can't believe Kyle did that because he hated the way she officiated a pick up game??!!! WTH

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thank you, Mr. Secretary of Good Conduct

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

Battered women are usually victims of domestic violence. Never heard of a basketball ref being thrown a ball be categorized as such.

At least this is a criminal case and not a civil case where the victim seeks monetary compensation.