1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry is still starting?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShiniKashi, Jan 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

DD's point about Kyle losing his confidence when he shoots poorly is spot on. He still tries to get others involved,but his body language shows strain and leads to mistakes. I think Kyle is thinking, when am I going to get my shot back?

2. trugoy

trugoy Member

The problem is that Lowry is not good enough a dribbler to just go 1 on 5 and create something. He does his damage in transition and on closeouts.

in the half court, he relies on people running the offense and the ball to swing to him for him to create that closeout situation.

He does pretty good on pick and rolls but that is not part of the offense, they try to avoid running pick and rolls except at the end of quarters and end of games.

3. trugoy

trugoy Member

Different roles, how he played as a backup and how he plays as a starter are completely different.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It shouldn't be, that is playing to his strengths....

DD

5. trugoy

trugoy Member

He is still learning that balance between scoring and passing. Notice that he is significantly better shooter when the clock is running down and he has no choice but to hoist one up.

But when he gets the ball with plenty of clock he shoots much less % because he is overthinking the shot.

It'll take him a while to get that balance. Billups took years before he got it.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Brooks at all costs, hardly?

I prefer Brooks in the starting unit as I believe he fits better synergistically with the starting crew because they can use an extra shooter. I find its easier to double our post guys, as we saw last night, with bad shooters on the wing.

I prefer Lowry with the bench because they need a player who can create shots.

I am impartial defensively because either way there will be stretches where a bad defensive point guard will be on the floor. If anything I want my strongest defenders alongside him to cover his deficiencies.

I also feel like Lowrys game is a bit too gimmicky and can be shut down by good defensive teams, which is why I dont put as much faith into his recent hot streak as others.

The only reason it appears I love with Aaron Brooks is because I stand up for our players who get bad raps. Currently people are trying to put Lowry on a pedestool and rip on Brooks. Some part of the brain of a fan is to never accept that sometimes we just arent good enough to win. That brain has to create a hero and a villian and then do thier part to overcome it. And this is what I mean about an agenda.

In the past, I was labeled as a Battier lover because people tried to rip him down and put Ariza/Artest on a pedestool. The same with McGrady. You will always find me defending our players from the angry mob, because the angry mob isnt thinking rationally, they are looking for a witch to burn.

1 person likes this.
  7. trugoy

trugoy Member

So you want courtney Lee to cover his deficiences right? or you want Kevin Martin to cover his deficiencies?

8. larsv8

Bigs cover smalls.

If Brooks loses his man I want Hill or Hayes waiting there not Brad Miller.

I mean, I hear the moaning about Brooks/Martin, but how is Brooks/Budinger somehow better? Either way you have 2 of 3 wing players terrible at defense.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Ya, it's obvious brooks isn't ready yet. When he is, Adelman has said he'll get his starting job back.

10. trugoy

trugoy Member

Hill is likely to still be sipping a cup of tea while brooks gets beat.

Hayes can get there but pretty much can't do anything except hope someone runs into him.

We basically don't have the bigs to protect weak defenders.

11. trugoy

trugoy Member

The theory is that Brooks Budinger off the bench are likely to meet up with less talented offensive threats than if they started.

So even though they suck, at least they are not sucking against the best players on the other team.

12. larsv8

Of course we do, Chuck Hayes is one of the best of the league at it. Hill is still learning.

If Brooks knows Hayes is waiting behind him in the proper spot he can force the ball handler into a zoned double team, instead of trying to stay in front of him. It is probably one of the biggest aspects of team defense.

Yea well, its not working.

#112 larsv8, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  13. trugoy

trugoy Member

It sounds nice in theory but have you seen Brooks do this? Backup point guards go where they like when brooks guards them. I haven't seen Brooks force anyone off their spots.

We aren't even talking about contesting jump shots, guys turn into Ray Allen when Brooks guards them.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So you basically go against the majority? Got it. For the record, that alone is a completely irrational line of thinking and describes your post history.

That starting lineup doesn't need more shooters, it needs a PG who can get our offensive players the ball. The bench needs scoring as it has no real scorers. Why you think taking shots away from Martin/Scola and then putting a true distributor on the floor with guys who can't shoot is beyond me.

15. larsv8

Look we disagree, not sure why you care so much.

I catalaogged every offensive possession, found Battier does most of the setup work. I saw them able to double team Scola because we didnt have enough shooters, and made my rationale accordingly.

You still believe Lowry is somehow responsible for setting up the offense. Terrific, believe what you want.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I cataloged the win/losses columns and watched the games. I also applied common sense. Thanks.

17. larsv8

Please share your data.

I'd love to see W/L in past two years vs good teams with Brooks as the starter vs. Lowry.

We will ignore two years ago since Yao will obviously skew that into Brooks favor.

#117 larsv8, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Dave, Trugoy

Before continuing to argue with Larsv8, you guys should realize that he felt Brooks was at Steve Nash's level 2 years ago.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Agrument shift - check
    Attacking the opponnent - check.

Wekko post - check.

;)

DD

20. larsv8

edit..not stooping to thier level.

#120 larsv8, Jan 3, 2011