1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry becoming a star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Treeza, Mar 8, 2011.

1. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I remember being in shock when they traded for Kyle. We gave up Rafer Alston, back then a solid starter and probably the most hated player on this board.
    Turned out good, real good for Houston.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I didn't like the way Brooks played. Even during his breakout season last year, I knew he wasn't the long-term pg solution for the Rockets. However, I love the way Lowry plays.

You need to understand that it's not about scoring. It's about style. Lowry pushes the ball and tries to create open looks for his teammates. If that doesn't work and there are no mismatches to exploit, he'll run the offense. With Lowry at the helm, you know that even if he's having a poor shooting night, he'll try to get others involved and the Rockets will still have a chance to win.

Brooks preferred to walk the ball up the court and engage in pick and rolls or go 1 on 1. In other words, he played like McGrady without the height/court vision. And if he had a poor shooting night, then the Rockets were in trouble.

1 person likes this.
  3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Even Rafer hit a hot streak now or then. Lowry is better than Rafer, but I don't think he is becoming a star. If so, great, but more likely a hot streak.

4. choujie

choujie Member

Lowry has hit 39% of 3s since Late November. A pretty long "hot streak" I guess. That includes a lot desperate long ragne shots to beat shot clocks.

I agree it's way too early to call Lowry a star, but that "hot streak" is looking to be a real thing by each game.

5. mario713

mario713 Rookie

can we get a kyle lowry as a starter mix?

6. r0Xsh0w

r0Xsh0w Member

kyle lowry aint no joke

ive been telling you people for yea---months. :p :p :p

;)lowry where its at :cool:

can we talk bout that ASS??
    Yummmaaaayyyy
    :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You're 100% right. And yet still, I find myself thinking along the same lines of solid at times. I still don't trust Lowry -- I see him pull up for threes and I cringe. But they're going in. I'm ecstatic.. but I still worry about his shooting.

It's probably going to take another year of similar shooting %s for me to completely buy into the Lowry bandwagon. For now, I'm happy that he's turned into a pretty good starting PG, just like I thought he could.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

How is Lowry's "hot streak" which has basically lasted more than half a season now any less of a barometer of his future production than AB's season LAST year. IMO, it's more likely that this year's version of Lowry is more indicative of his future than last year's version of Brooks is of what his future production will be.

Brooks has had exactly one good season and it isn't this season so let's stop pretending he is still that guy until he shows otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  9. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

If we could incorporate a math equation into the registration and verification process to this board we could weed out the kind of stuff ya know...

If Lowry continues to be able to knock down the 3...then he is an all-star caliber player. Probably will never get voted in because of varying factors and what people look for when voting for All Stars. But nonetheless, it is one less position we need to worry about filling. Legit sized SF (I love Lee too, maybe we are already there) and legit sized C....

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Lowry is just playing too well, so it surprises lots of people. Maybe this is just a short streak, but he is only 24, his shooting should be improved gradually. I am glad that we finally have a quality point guard, who can run the plays in a high level.

11. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Brooks season before was good as well, he was just behind Rafer for most of the year.

Using your analogy of Brooks, how is Lowry's good half-season make him any more likely to play well going forward if Brook's didn't make him play well this year?

My point . . . Don't get your hopes up, just enjoy it while it is working.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Good to see Lowry doing well.

Hope it translates into wins.

13. Grigori

Grigori Member

The difference between Brooks' "good season" last season and Lowry's good season this season is that Brooks' "good season" is rightfully in quotes. Brooks has never had a genuine honest-to-Hakeem good season. Last season Brooks had decent offensive numbers on volume shooting and sucked in pretty much all other important aspects of the game. Only people who way overvalue volume shooting on decent efficiency thought Brooks had a good season. News flash: He didn't. Brooks had a decent offensive season on volume shooting; he didn't have a good season.

1 person likes this.
  14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Brooks is not a pure point guard, he should not be considered in a discussion of Lowry becoming a star as a PG in the rockets. If Brooks is going to be a star, who would a less scoring version of AI.

15. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Buddy, good season is all relative. 20 pts on 43% shooting, 40% 3p, and 5+ assists is better than what Kyle could give us last year when he couldn't hit anything. Aaron will never be taller than he is so he will never be big enough to cover bigger guards.

We are comparing a player's production to the previous years and seeing if it indicative of future results, not having an Aaron/Kyle pissing match.

I want what is best for the team, this whole season it has been Kyle. Aaron is no longer with us.

16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

..yea.. Lowry hater.. by no means is this thread meant to bash everyone else on the squad, wtf are you talking about? are you delusional? whats wrong with giving Lowry much deserved props? Im sure you were on AB's sac when he had his breakout season last year but a fan of the Rockets slash/game cant make a positive thread about a budding player? Im sure you luv criticizing in the hundreds of negative threads on this site but get down or lay down with the hate and negativity

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think his long term scoring will be much lower, once the Rox have better balance (if they ever have, say, a real 3 or a real 5 on offense.)

But there's no reason he can't keep up the defense, playmaking, rebounding, etc. I'm really excited about him, especially the low turnover numbers.

18. aggie87

aggie87 Member

I honestly think Lowry has just been on a hot shooting streak

but I appreciate his tough defense, excellent playmaking, great driving ability, and toughness...

he is a keeper and for what we are paying him, he is a steal at that price

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes, I am clearly a Lowry hater. See post 144 above.

Not this thread, the "I feel sorry for Lowry". As if the team is full of garbage other than him. As if he were the only one who played against the Suns.

Nothing, see post 144.

Im sure you are wrong. Actually I am not sure b/c that sentence isnt very coherent.

What I dont like is overeaction. Lowry is playing great, and I am excited to see that, but we need to keep things in perspective. I dont like the bashing of Hill, I didnt like the Battier hate threads, I dont like the McGrady bashing, I dont like the Brooks bashing, I didnt like the Budinger bashing.

You might call me a fan of the team and its players.

20. HayesDPOY

HayesDPOY Member

Totally agree.
    The way Brooks played usually hurts the team more than helps.
    He should be the 6th man instead of a starting PG.
    If he cannot position himself right, he is in trouble and the team is in trouble either.
    An improved Lowry is the best solution for the starting PG position.
    Right now what we only need is a good center who can protect the paint.