1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kurt Thomas available?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sane, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Sane

Sane Member

Well it looks like the Crawford to Knicks deal is done , but more importantly, two other players are close to joining the Knicks:

Vin Baker is expected to sign a vet minimum contract tomorrow when returns from vacation.

Also, Eric Dampier is sounding like he's very much interested in signing witht the Knicks for the MLE. Link.

So this would leave the Knicks with 4 Power Forwards and 2 starting calibre C's.

Erick Dampier, Nazr Mohammed
    Kurt Thomas, Mike Sweetney, Vin Baker, and Jerome Williams

Dampier is there to stay. No one will take JYD. Baker is recently acquired. Mike Sweetney is someone they have high hopes for and wouldn't give up in any trades this summer.

This leaves Kurt Thomas and Nazr Mohammed. They make similar money, Kurt Thomas makes slightly more. However, KT has 5 more years while Nazr has 2 more. The Knicks need a backup C more than a PF, and Nazr is a better C as well as a much cheaper option (not that they care about money).

So clearly, just like the Kenny Thomas situation a couple of years ago, Kurt Thomas is the odd man out. He's not the worst player in the bunch, but he is definitely the odd man out.

I say we go after this guy. The good thign about this is that he can play some backup C, although not much. So he can get around 15 of his minutes at backup C, and another 15-20 at PF. Here's what I think we should do, although it will cost us either Nachbar or a draft pick:

- Clarence Weatherspoon for Howard Eisley. (previously proposed trade on this board)
    - TE and either Boki or our first rounder for Kurt Thomas.

Now you may think the Knicks would do this just for the TE, but they don't care about money, so we have to give them some incentive. This trade gives them another trading chip, a TE worth KT's annual salary. They can use that to get rid of an unwanted contract or just get some other player. Maybe this can be a 3-way where they use the TE in a deal for Dampier from the Warriors?

Do you guys think we should go after him?

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

i like Thomas, but that's too many pf's. we would needd to have a move in place to follow that move. thomas is an upgrade to j howard and motay, he plays defense, boards, is tough and can hit midrange J. that's a hard package to find.

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

Thomas' contract is kind of ugly. He’ll be due 8 million in 2008.

I would be willing to do that trade if the Rockets traded away Juwan Howard for a swingman to replace Boki. One long term contract on an old player is all I can handle.

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I thought I heard that if Dampier wants to go to the Knicks, it will be a sign-and-trade involving both Nazr and Thomas.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If we were willing to bring in Kurt Thomas clearly we would have to move either Howard, Taylor or Spoon. And I would prefer to move Taylor or Spoon before Howard. Thomas would be a nice addition though. I would be comfortable with him at backup C/PF. He is a rugged rebounder, is very physical and can hit the jump shot. Would be a nice enforcer for Yao.

Not sure about his contract though.

6. Sane

Sane Member

He makes Weatherspoon money right now, although he'll be making 8M in his FINAL year. More than likely, we'll be able to trade him before his final year for a team that is looking for expiring contracts.

3 PF's IS a lot, but in this case, one of them can play C. Howard can actually play some SF as well IIRC.

7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

iirc, i think the knicks sign him to a 3 yr extension this year which kinda surprises me

8. Man

Man Contributing Member

I like Kurt Thomas..he's getting older..but still very strong and durable. Solid PJ Brown like. Can he shoot..? I don't think so. lol no shotblocking either.

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damp will go in a sign and trade for Thomas and Mohammed. The MLE talk is just Damp helping move things along .

"Listen, Golden Staters. If you don't move me soon, I might just leave you with nothing."

Damp wants the extra money he can get in a sign-and-trade deal. He's just frustrated it's not done.

Now that Crawford is done, though, they will turn their attention to Damp and get that done. Then, it's time to move that a-hole cancer Starbury for VC.

Kurt's contract extension was just so they could trade him. Knicks are looking to the future with the draft pick, Sweetney.

10. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

On the same note, if you look at Chicago's roster after this trade you have Hinrich, Gordon, Duhon, Pargo, and now Frank Williams at the PG. However, I assume since they traded their starting SG away (Crawford) they might depend on Ben Gordon to play the undersized SG? or maybe even Deng

11. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

This is Chicago you're talking about. They could start all five of them, with Duhon at center, and still sell out every night.

12. Cesar^Geronimo

I may be in the minority here but I am willing to give Juwan Howard a chance at the 4. He plays hard and should be a solid contributer playing beside Yao.

We just need a big body to eat up minutes while Yao is sucking down some Oxygen and T-Mac is taking over the scoring.

13. Milos

Milos Member

Sane, I'm with you man...

KThomas is just the kind of nasty we need on this team; he's like Oakley with a jumpshot.

If we can get him for any of the pieces you propose, I'm all in.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont think we have anyone available to offer that the Knicks would want.

I dont see Isiah too interested in our Trade Exception, or Nachbar.

If they move Thomas, it will be for a better fit for their team. I am not sure Nachbar is that. I dont think Isiah is too high on European players anyway.

15. Sane

Sane Member

Golden State would rather have him walk than make that trade.

They just re-signed Foyle, acquired Davis, drafted Biedrinis and have Troy Murphy.

Why the hell take Nazr and KT?

No way. That trade doesn't work, I guarantee it.

16. Sane

Sane Member

Take a look at the Knicks roster.

If they sign Damp, they don't need anything. Literally, nothing.

Money means nothing to them.

So it's either a young player who has yet to blossom (Boki) or a draft pick. They don't want or need anything else.

Seriously, look at their roster:

Dampier/Nazr
    KT/Vin Baker/Mike Sweetney/JYD
    Tim Thomas/Houston/Shandon
    Crawford/Houston/Penny
    Marbury/Crawford/Moochie/Penny

The only place they need even a tiny slice of help is backup SF. Some 3-pt shooting. If not that, then the only thing anyone can think of is a draft pick.

They won't just sit and watch KT rot either. That would be really silly of them. Even a mid 1st rounder is better than that for them.