1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kurt Russell talks terrorists and gun control

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Surfguy, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dmoneybangbang

Get rid of violent crime laws?!?!?!? It doesn't work 100% of the time so it's ineffective....

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not a surprise that the anti-civil liberties posters would be against his comments....

3. conquistador#11

kurt russell the actor?
    great scott!!

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Who said anything about laws not stopping criminals?

The criminals don't obey laws, thus why bother rhetoric does get applied to other things though, specifically drugs (and in the past alcohol).

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Didn't click. Kurt Russell's movies aren't worth watching, so his opinions on political matters are also not worth hearing.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So, should we legalize heroin?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So you view all laws as pointless then?

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The Faux news crowd hates Hollywood but quickly rushes out the random actor that shares their views...

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was just getting ready to say the same thing lol.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Yeah, but what does Ja Rule think about all of this?

1 person likes this.
  11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yes.
    Not at all. I view prohibition as pointless. The United States has gargantuan borders, and our ability to control what comes in is merely wishful thinking. Heroin has been illegal for many years, but it is still plentiful, despite requiring foreign imports.

Laws can alter behavior to some degree through a deterrent effect (ie if you get caught breaking the law, you have to deal with the consequences). It doesn't eliminate the behavior 100%, but it can make a dent. Given that the mass shooters in particular tend to die at the end of their story, deterrence is meaningless to them. Given that they are intent on murdering people, their respect for the rule of law is also not going to stop them from illegal weapons purchases. Honest gun brokers would not break the law by selling to a terrorist, but that is a minor impediment at most.

I just think it is silly to rely on the law to behave like a magic spell, where if we just pass the law it will have the effect we want. If you understand the mechanisms by which the law works, I don't see how you can have much faith that gun control will reduce murders or terrorism.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Cool, so you think it won't make a difference if we treat heroin like guns and have heroin stores next door to gun stores.

If we can just get aspiring terrorists to wear name tags that say "I am planning to commit terrorist acts," then the good "honest gun brokers" will by all means say "No sale!"

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Unfortunately for you, we have data that less guns reduces gun violence, which invalidates your entire position. It's not wishful thinking, it works.

Not sure what is so difficult to understand about this.

14. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I wonder if the Aussie's can comment on these videos, because
    I already know that the only response from the nut jobs on the
    right is "gun control doesn't work".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9pOiOhxujsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TYbY45rHj8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mVuspKSjfgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>