1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kung Fu Hustle (review)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mateo, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mateo

mateo Member

I thought the funniest part in the movie was the knife throwing.
    I almost peed myself.

2. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

Stephan Chow is THE MOST POPULAR movie star in Asia. He's a box office hit everywhere around asia.

I like Kung Fu Hustle, but it's not the funniest movie produced by stephan chow, in fact, he's old movie are funney as hell.

Stephan Chow is my favorite movie star.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I haven't said anything about Kung Fu Hustle needing to be realistic. And Cagey's point was that they used too much CG, not that it was too unrealistic. I haven't seen it yet, but I guess he's saying that that too much of the humor was based on what they were doing with CG. I've seen some clips and the part that I found the funniest was when he throws that knife and it bounces back and hits him in the arm. I don't think anybody is under that illusion that this movie is supposed to be realistic.

As for Karate Kid, he didn't just learn Karate from waxing a car. And that movie isn't even a martial arts movie. It's an underdog story that uses martial arts. You could replace Karate with tons of things and still have the same movie.

Anyways, my beef is with what KD said. Regardless of how he learned karate and not counting that stupid kick, the fighting during that tournament seems pretty realistic compared to what you see in those tournaments on tv. So I think it's wrong of him to call people dumb if they view that as being realistic martial arts.

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

The movie's clearly a parody, and a comedy. Trying to say it lacks 'development' or is too 'unrealistic' in any way is silly.

#44 Coach AI, Apr 23, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Oski, you haven't even seen the movie.

It's pretty obvious - real early on - that they were going to go apesh*t with everything.

This little debate is mindboggling.

7. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

I just think the over-the-top ridiculousness of the whole thing makes it difficult to enjoy. This may be exactly what some people like about the movie.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

The CGI gives the movie that extra oomph. It's what separates the movie from your boring old Jackie Chan kung fu flick that has been done a thousand times.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

But that's what I don't get. New Jack's comparison is apt, in that case; it's like saying 'the slapstick and comedic dialogue of Naked Gun makes it difficult to enjoy' or 'the science fiction setting and use of robots ruins The Matrix'.

That's what the movie is.

Now, if you're saying "I don't like science fiction" or "I don't like parody", then that's totally understandable. That's personal preference. But that's very different.

10. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

I don't like CGI in general. It makes everything look plastic and fake. Unrealistic. I can find it tolerable occasionally when used with restraint. The makers of Kung Fu Hustle don't know the meaning of the word restraint.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Chinese Kunfu movies are based on martial arts novels. They are our fantasy stories. It's Chinese thing, you wouldn't understand :D

12. mateo

mateo Member

So because I lived in Beijing as a kid, I love movies like this.

Actually, I wouldn't mind a good Monkey King movie.

13. pchan

pchan Member

The 'frog technique' and the lion howl are both authentic, because those two appears in numerous chinese kung fu novels and comics. The realm of chinese kung fu is sort of like the roman and greek myths. They are as authentic as zeus's thunder bolt.

14. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

well said!!!

15. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

Good. Don't want to.

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

I might have to retract my earlier statement. I just saw the movie with 6 of my friends, none of the Chinese or Asian. They are actually all of the "musician" and "artist" types so I was worried they might not like this movie. Instead it turned out they loved it. I think this movie might appeal to the young, semi - liberal, hip and open minded type as well as the Chinese audience.

17. calurker

calurker Member

Say no more. This is all we need to know re: your view of Kung Fu Hustle. :rolleyes:

18. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

I just didn't think it was a very good movie. All style, very little substance IMHO. If you disagree with me, that's fine, most people who have posted in this thread seem to....

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Which is why I didn't think Kung Fu Hustle was good.

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Only because you are trying to argue against somebody's personal preference. My main thing still has to do with what KD said.