1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kung Fu Hustle (review)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mateo, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mateo

mateo Member

Just got back from seeing possibly one of the most entertaining flicks that I've caught in a long time.

Kung Fu Hustle is what would happen if you took a two cups kung-fu movie, a tablespoon of Bugs Bunny cartoons, and a dash of West Side story (just the dancing thank god, no spontaneous singing) and threw them in the blender with about four red bulls and a pot of coffee. Throw in some tongue-in-cheek references to modern movies (everything from the Matrix to Spiderman to Streets of New York to the Shining) and even some Greek Literature. The music is great and is even incorporated into an assassination (possibly the most dangerous stringed instrument in the world.) Visually, its a knockout. Do not wait for DVD on this one.

I think it is released in Houston next Friday or the week after.

#1 mateo, Apr 17, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  2. Uprising

Uprising Member

I'm definetly going to rent this when it comes out on DVD. I love those $1 rentals at those machines.

3. francis 4 prez

i was thinking of starting a thread on this. i like the commercials but it seemed like it could've also been extremely stuipid but on rottentomatoes it's got something like a 85% critic rating and 95% fan rating with 75% from the cream of the crop so apparently people really like it. i really wanna go see it on the 22nd.

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

Kung Fu hustle is a good movie. Do they dub or subtitle?

5. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

why you so cheap? this movie is worth a 6.50 matinee.

6. cwebbster

cwebbster Member

Hell yeah, at Krogers!

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

saw this movie a few weeks ago on an imported dvd and the movie was great. cracked me up and had hillarious characters. there was only one thing that bugged me in the film (will not say for it may reveal plot) but overall i would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys martial arts films or comedies

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Member

I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the previews, it looks similar to shaolin soccer. To anyone who has seen both, are they similar?

9. Uprising

Uprising Member

Well, I'm a college student. That additional 5.50 could be spent on something else....like maybe food.

I'm not much of a theatre buff.

10. pchan

pchan Member

I think shaolin soccer is funnier, but kfh is the better movie. There are also very good fight scenes in the movie, which shaolin soccer doesn't have.

I think this is a very enjoyable movie, you've got to go to the theater to see it. :)

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

they are both stephen chow films (who is also the lead actor in both) both have the odd ball kung fu in it but story wise very unlike. if you liked shaolin soccer you'll like kung fu hustle for sure

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Well, they're made by the same guy.

13. count_dough-ku

I saw a clip of this the other day on TV where Stephen Chow's character is pointing at people in a crowd and challenging them to a fight and I completely lost it. One of the funniest images I've seen in a movie in a long time. When you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

14. mateo

mateo Member

Movie is in subtitles, which is actually important for two of the jokes. If it was dubbed you wouldnt get it.

I hate dubbed flicks.

15. Locke

Locke Member

I hear its really gory....true? Should I keep the g/f away?

16. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

not gory... the violence is very exaggerated and cartoony. it should be PG-13 at the most.

17. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

I saw this movie half a year ago. It has a few moments where its funny, but overall its ok. I expected more from a Stephen Chow movie. His older movies are bette imo.

Mateo has the review dead on, if you like these kind of flicks you will love this movie.

18. count_dough-ku

Actually, I believe I saw a TV ad that said it was rated R.

19. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

wow that's weird...

there's no language, no adult themes, and the violence... is lite compared to other kung fu movies.

20. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

Just from seeing the ads for the movie, I was thinking that it would be really stupid. If I hear more good things about it though, I may go see it. I generally don't like it though, when martial arts movies use special effects to exaggerate the action of its characters into what is physically impossible. I don't see why that's necessary.