1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak Needs to Get it Together

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Same could be said of Carr . . . He even allow him to get that roster bonus.

Thing is . . Kubiak is uber loyal to his players esp his QB
    even if we brought in someone . . no matter how good. . they would have NO CHANCE
    at the starter spot . ..
    Kubiak simply does not 'do' Qb controversies. . .

Schuab is the guy . . . no matter what.
    The question is. . . who will succeed him . . we have to plan for the future
    Because I think Schaub is here until the end of his contract and he WILL BE the starter

Rocket River

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Ravens and Vikings, for sure. I think the Bengals would, too, frankly. Age is the *only* reason they wouldn’t. Schaub is a better QB than Andy Dalton, and gives them a better chance to win right now.

What an eye for talent you have… 1-2 years later.

Look – pretty obvious you’re not a Schaub fan. Fine; whatever. But there isn’t a GM alive - at any level of football - who would’ve traded a guy with Schaub’s resume for unknowns like Wilson, Dalton and/or Kapernick. And they certainly wouldn’t have traded Schaub *and* draft picks to gamble on 2nd or 3rd round talent… That’s just remarkably dumb.

Nor would they take a 10-6 team most felt was a Matt Schaub short of playing for the Super Bowl into the offseason without a QB. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Stop confusing your obvious gift of hindsight with prescient personnel skills. I promise you, if prior to either the ’11 or ’12 drafts, you had offered Schaub to Cincinnati, San Francisco or Seattle, they would have jumped all over those deals in a nanosecond.

Please, please, please stop. Peyton Manning is making $18MM; when you add the final year of Schaub’s bonus ($4.25MM), which would have accelerated against your cap once you got rid of him, you would have been paying your starting QB $22.25MM; $15MM more than you’re paying Schaub (not counting his signing bonus).

That’s $10MM more than Foster+Myers got, and that required the Texans to jettison Winston and Ryans and let Brisel walk. Bringing Manning in would have forced you to gut the team.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Best post of the day!

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

1. In regards to Matt, the Texans shouldve waited...but did the right thing for a guy they felt they wanted to make secure...thats on mgmt for not waiting...Personally i wouldve waited till this offseason and negotiated a cheaper deal...And i was furious that they just let the right side of the OL walk without having solid replacements in place..Winston was an excellent run blocker...
    2. In regards to your would you rather have question...once again, there is no reason to suspect that Schaub wasnt gonna do his job...he was statistically on fire only until this past December...Wilson wouldve never had the chance to show his talent unless Schaub went down this season. Oh and 2nd in line is TJ Yates automatically based off his ability to get us into the playoffs and win a game...Wilson wouldve been 3rd on the depth chart...
    3. Stop this Peyton Manning talk...for all we know he wouldve been a better fit in san fran...and they wouldve probably still be undefeated for the season...If you are a GM for a major professional team/market...you are taking a huge huge gamble on a guy that just had a career threatening neck surgery...no one and not even Peyton expected this kinda performance...he was truly scared for his career and livelyhood.... if the Colts had to do it again...they still would cut Peyton and draft Luck
    4. Are you serious with your offer for a tender for Arian Foster? Arguably our best and most consistent player on offense???

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

You know, people used to say the knock on Schaub was he couldn't bring the team back. He did it twice in a game. Then he couldn't win in primetime. Then the Chicago game happened. Then he couldn't win in the playoffs. Then the Bengals game happened. Now it's that he can't lead a team to the superbowl. As far as we know, neither can Ryan, Luck, Griffin, Romo, Flacco, Rivers, Vick, Wilson, Sanchez, Bradford, Smith, Kaepernick, Cousins, etc.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Schaub needs to have his best game of his career in order for us to beat the Pats at Foxboro...he is the real XFactor...Schaub needs to deliver..and i really think he will...Go Texans...

Also on another note...we better not be the team that is trying to come back...that may not be pretty...

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I totally disagree. The defense (especially pass rush) is the XFactor. Schaub's best game is not as good as Brady's best game. If the defense can keep the Texans from getting in a quick deficit, it changes everything. If the Texans are down 28-10 early, Schaub and the offense has very little chance of bringing them back.

8. Hey Now!

No, I get it; my post was designed to illustrate that, for the vast majority of teams - not just the Texans - it's hard to score TDs in the red zone. One of the reasons, IMO - it favors the defense: the field is shorter; sacks are no longer a priority; offenses, generally, will take fewer chances because 3 is ultimately better than a TO...

Think about this from a defensive standpoint, how HUGE a turnover is in the red zone; it changes the game (so do non-turnovers, as the Texans found out in NE the first time).

So I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Kubiak's approach to the red zone. But I do think he needs to be focused on more 7s this week because the Patriots don't settle for FGs.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

You are right. I am complaining with hindsight. But what do you expect? I am a football fan and not a GM. I shouldn't be able to predict the future or make risk assessments of the future. That's what I expect from Smithiak. They put all their eggs into the Schaub basket instead of making plan Bs for the most important position on a football team. And if those eggs break, it's on them. If Schuab helps win in NE and then Denver, they can get all the accolades they want.

As for Manning, his contract is not guaranteed. Meaning the Texans could've guaranteed some bonus money to spread out the salary. Yes, it's a risk, but so is Matt Schaub. You roll the dice either way. And this week we see which side wins.

10. Hey Now!

Why would they allocate valuable resources toward a plan B for, statistically, one of the 7 or 8 best QBs in football? Name the other team with a top 10 QB dumping money into or wasting draft picks on a plan B.

WADR, you're just making stuff up. There's no room for conjecture here. We know how much money the Broncos are paying Peyton Manning - it's $18MM and, yes: once he makes your roster, every penny of it is guaranteed. Where do you suggest they could have spread his salary out to?

How, exactly, is Schaub a risk? Manning? Yeah, he was risk; a GIANT risk. But we all pretty much knew - love him or hate him - what we were getting with Matt Schaub. In fact, one of his selling points over Manning was how much less of a risk he was.

Short of signing as an unpaid intern, there was no way the Texans could have afforded Peyton Manning.

#110 Hey Now!, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The team defenses goal is to get off the field..."3 and out" mentality...their defense will be fine...the issue is more with the offense stalling...Brady is going to get his..and most people cant stop that...it is being able to make plays offensively enough to hang around the Pats...our team defense will show up...however, its more about scoring points...ask your self this: what is more likely...The pats only scoring 15 points or the Texans scoring 30pts...And even then...is 30 pts going to be enough to beat them?

As i have said before the best way to beat the Pats is to keep Brady and his offense of the field and that starts with Matt Schaub, the OL and Arian foster...matt is the real X-Factor, bc we know that Arian will do his thing...its up to Matt to make big throw, and accurate/careful throws...

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

If the defense can play NE like the Ravens defense did last year in the playoffs, the Texans will only have to score more than 23 points to win. I'm convinced the offense is capable. However, if the patriots score in the 30s or 40s, the offense won't be able to keep up. I guarantee you, if the Texans were down 7-0 compared to 21-0 when they played earlier, the outcome would have been different.

Looking at the Patriot's losses, I'm looking at the Cardinals and Seahawks games and you're looking at the Ravens and 49ers game. Needless to say, one or the other will do. I just think asking this offense to score about 40 points is not in their DNA.

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

lol posting with all the hindsight, scouts from all the teams overlook players that will be great.

so if the texans had their first season in 2000 and not in 2002, you would complain that we drafted David Carr instead of Tom Brady?

if a team (not the texans) drafted foster in the 7th round, would you complain, that why we didnt draft him?

why teams like Arizona, Cleveland, etc, even San Diego didnt draft Wilson or Dalton or Kaepernick?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if the texans would have went with yates instead of signing schaub to the ridiculous extention to early they would have more cap room to sign winston.

hindsight is what i said in foresight, just go with yates. in the age of salary caps you always should be thinking future. there are maybe ten to fifteen qbs worth blowing your cap up for and schaub aint one of them.

15. Hey Now!

First of all, the Schaub extension came months after Winston was released; there’s no connection. Secondly, it would have cost them more money to release Schaub than keep him. (Well, technically, that’s not true – but you’re writing a check for $4.25MM whether he’s on the team or not.) Third… are you genuinely suggesting they should have released Schaub and handed this team over to TJ Yates?????...... Maybe I should have started with that one.

They haven’t blown their cap up to keep Schaub; he’s being paid reasonable to his level of play. He won’t even be among the 10 highest-paid QBs in football next year, a list that currently includes Tony Romo, Phillips Rivers, Michael Vick and Carson Palmer.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

So your hindsight says risk losing a better QB just so you can keep your RT? And who are the 10-15 QBs that are better than Schaub. Even the harshest critics put him in the top half of QBs for the league.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

some are better some are younger. this team's offense doesnt revolve around schaub so don't blow your cap

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't even waste your time...just ignore him.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Am I to understand that no one has *any* confidence in Yates becoming anything of note?

I thought he did ok last year.
    For a Rookie that was playing when he was not expected to play.

Rocket River

20. Hey Now!

Not at the cost of jettisoning Schaub.

By NFL QBing standards, Yates flashed potential but was, by and large, well below-average last year. The jury is way out on his long-term viability.