1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak Needs to Get it Together

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

Here is the thing. This season (from what I've seen), Schaub's long passes have been more inaccurate than accurate. I've seen plenty of times where Andre had to slow down and target the ball. By slowing down, this gives the defensive back time to recover, but regardless Andre still catches it because he is Andre. There were at least couple of completed passes that SHOULD have been touchdown passes.

Same with Owen Daniels. I've seen plenty of times where he was not able to catch the ball. Even though we expect him to because he is Owen Daniels, but the fact is, we are expecting our receiving corps to make up for Schaub's inaccuracy.

This is fine for Andre and Daniels most of the the time. But how can we honestly expect Posey, Martin, and Jean to adjust? Their focus should be running their routes effectively and catching all catch-able passes.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

we should draft a QB IMO. Seattle got Wilson in the 3rd round. Wilson is better than Schaub right now.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Watching Kapernick and Wilson make me sad about Schaub. Because Kubiak got me to buy into this whole idea that Schaub is better than a game manager and hard to replace. So we pay him $10/yr and extend him for ~$13-15ish/yr.

Yet in the end, he's nothing more than just a game manager. But other teams get game managers in the mid-rounds of the draft. Or they sign a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson or Rex Grossman. Someone that cost you very little in the grand scheme of things. Then these teams use that savings to shore up other parts of their team, so that they can beast in other areas to complement the game-managing QB.

I don't hate Schaub. I just hate the fact that he's getting paid like a semi-star, without the ability to be one.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so true. It's easy to find quality QBs that can come in and play very well as a rookie...

signed,

jake locker, blaine gabbert, Christian Ponder,

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Those guys are much worse than Schaub. No way we are 12-4 with them.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He's being paid like a top 10 QB. Which, when taking his entire body of work into account, he is.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=225993

No other QB has signed a contract since Matt signed his. Once they do, he's likely going to get pushed out of top 10 salary territory. Which should happen by the end of 2013.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You think Flacco will get more?

Rocket River
    Poor Raven fans if that happens . .

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Schaub would have made a lot more (or, at the very least, as much) if he had hit the open market. He's having a very ill-timed bad stretch of football. But he's consistently among the league leaders in QBR, YPA, and INTs. Fans here don't appreciate him but I promise you - *plenty* of fans would trade their QB for him in a heartbeat (including several playoff teams).

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Name the only quarterback in the history of the NFL that has won at least 1 playoff game every season of the first 5 years of his career.

I'm not saying he deserves it. But if they do, I won't be surprised.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Name the only quaterback that has played with a defense anchored by 2 DPOYs and a top 10 defense every season of the first 5 years of his life.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

don't forget ray ray

12. ipaman

can someone answer me these 2 questions.

if kubiak is an offensive genius why are defenses dictating to us ("take what the D gives us") inside the red zone?

why don't we dictate to those muthaf!@#ers?!?!?!?!?

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You know who would have gone for it? Jerry Glanville.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Because he is a head coach not a offensive coordinator

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Like I said...I'm not saying he's deserves it. I'm just saying that it won't surprise me to see him get a large long-term contract.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He needs to develop some aggression in the red zone. He keeps talking about being more efficient on check downs once we get inside the 20.....I fail to see how that will help. That's just taking what the defense WANTS you to take....yards that don't amount to a TD. On our 7 pass plays in the red zone, only 2 of them were in the end zone on Saturday. That is DEFINITELY not going to cut it against the Patriots. Schaub needs to get his **** together FAST, and Kubiak needs to get his play-calling in gear for Sunday.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's all about execution; this endless talk about playcalling is, WADR, vomit. Playcalling isn't the reason Schaub/Johnson failed to hook up on a wide open TD Saturday.

By the way...

The Texans ranked 14th in red zone TD % in 2012 (54.1%; up, BTW, from 48% last year) but 5th in average # of trips/game (3.6). Their net was 1.95 TDs/game. The Redskins, FWIW, finished at 68.1% (4th) on 3.2 trips/game (11th). They netted 1.98 TDs/game. Altogether (if we assume made FGs in absence of TDs), the Texans actually outscored the Redskins' far more efficient red zone offense 18.6/game to 17.52/game. So FGs are not insignificant.

(Even if the Texans scored TDs at the same efficiency as the Redskins - again, assuming made FGs in absence of TDs - it would have netted them an additional 2 points/game. No one here would turn down 2 more points/game, of course - but it's not a significant enough number to swing the outcome of many games.)

Having said that.......... there were three *very* good teams in the red zone this year. Unfortunately, we play one of them Sunday and they net roughly 25.2 points/game from their league-leading 4.4 trips/game to the red zone.

So while I'd ordinarily argue that the Texans' are doing OK in red zone trips, even when they kick FGs... this is the one week that they really, truly do need to put TDs on the board if they want to compete with the Patriots.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's the money shot right there. All the numbers for season trends go out the window in the playoffs. THIS WEEK, the Texans' mantra HAS to be "7 instead of 3." The play-calling, the execution, the will and desire....whatever you want to point your finger to as a reason why the Texans aren't scoring TDs anymore.....all of that has to align this Sunday if the Houston wants to have a chance at winning. When the Patriots get the ball inside the 20, they score touchdowns. Plain and simple. Therefore, the Texans must do the same.

19. ipaman

you're missing my point. i'm criticizing this whole idea of taking what the defense gives us argument that schaub and kubes threw out earlier this week. if you do that the defense is dictating to us and not the other way around.

more specifically kubes talked about seeing a ton of quarters(cover 4/prevent) coverage in the redzone. qtrs/cover 4 is designed to give up the flat and underneath. unless you can break tackles you get the FG down in the redzone.

however there are plays (trips wide) that can take advantage of that read. you've got to be able to read and react and if schaub sees that read (underneath/flat) then call a play that dictates a possible TD.

for example in qtrs/cover 4 you can use trips out wide and isolate the 4th wideout.

isolate aj and have him run an in and up route starting with a hard slant toward the safety then turn it up vertically or even corner. you could even use a pump fake on the slant.

the other 3 recievers/te's have a deep vertical, a middle out, and a flat all to the other side of the field to create more room for aj.

or how about sending foster out of the back field to aj's isolated side. aj runs a clear route (inside dig/post) and foster runs a wheel route. foster runs to the flat and then turns up to the back corner of the end zone. schaub puts the ball in the back corner, very low risk throw. want to keep foster in to block then send casey on the wheel route. there are many many things you can do, i know you get the point.

so you are wrong, it is most certainly play calling, audibles, and aggressively attacking schemes.

don't hate me for wanting the texans offense to do some dictating and not taking what the defense gives because we can and will out scheme your scheme. we should all want that.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Continuing on the side note...Flacco will get at least as much as Schaub is getting paid. I can guarantee that.