1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak Needs to Get it Together

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

This is how coaches lose games and then lose their jobs. Know your personnel. Know what they do best. Maxmize it.

When the defense was horrible, Kubiak was just fine being aggressive. Schaub's stats prove it. That's not the case now.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah but if Kubiak goes for it and doesn't make it, everyone is going to say "why go for it when you have your defense playing unbelievably well?"

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm all for sitting on a lead, but not during the playoffs when it's less than 10 points.

If the defense is playing so great, why not go for it on 4th and 1 at the 50? The O-line was dominating for the entire game. They can't pick up a yard?

As far as "taking what the defense gives you" goes, hell, why don't we just start kicking FGs on 1st down once we make it to the red zone? After all, a turnover could be DEVASTATING.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Funny bc that's the joke I made during the game. Might as well kick it on first or second down if Kubiak is gonna baby Schaub so much.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Aw shucks John, you can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

LOL. I was at the game, and I was yelling "kick the field goal" on 1st down when we were in field goal range.

Kubiak is a frustrating coach. I want to root for him because he is a native Houstonion, but damn. He has to be the most conservative coach of all major sports.

7. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

It is not on Kubiak. Kubiak would go for it if he had confidence in the team to get it done. He doesn't really trust Matt not get sacked and lose point on the board when we are in the redzone so he runs the ball to a fault. He is playing the hand he has been dealt. I think he is coming around on Matt's short coming but before the end of the season Matt was basically 18-5 over that last two years and everyone said that with Matt Schaub we would have been in the superbowl last year. I personally don't believe that but that was the prevailing thoughts. Why do you think so many people picked the Texans to go to the Superbowl. Saturday when they showed the prediction of who picked what team to go to the Superbowl before the season half of the "experts" had the Texans picked to either be in or win the superbowl.

Kubiak is a conservative by nature. Let see if they pick a QB in the top half of the draft this year. I bet he does.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how they can spend an early pick on a QB since this year, i.e. with 4 years left on his contract.

9. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

That article was a good read, thanks for sharing. I agree with many of the points that Jen Floyd Engel made in her article.

I hate Kubiak's conservative gameplans...but part of the reason for those gameplans is Schaub's physical limitations.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think Schaub's limitations are being overly exaggerated...Some of you are acting like he's in David Carr territory.

I think Schaub's confidence took a hit over the last month...and I think, the way he was celebrating at the end of the game, he's getting his confidence back.

As far as the 4th and 1 at the opp 41...We definitely should have gone for it. Our offensive line was tearing it up the entire game. And if you dont get it, its not like the Bengals are getting the ball deep in our territory. They would be getting the ball at a spot similar to a good kick return. The defense can still bend plenty and not allow a TD.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd be completely shocked if the Texans drafted a QB in the first few rounds. Shocked.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We need OL, WR, and LB help much more than we need QB help.

In fact, there are at least 8-9 positions that need help before QB.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Who's this Nassib fella that people keep talking about?

I don't mind spending a mid-round pick for a QB. You'll probably get the most bang for your buck in the third or fourth by drafting a QB. Yates is simply not the answer.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This why we throw 3 yard passes on 3rd and long. Take what the defense gives you? That's the epitome of a game manager. Tom Brady won't be thinking we've got three, he's thinking we're taking seven b****.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Brady > Schaub
    NE WRs > HOU WRs
    NE TEs > HOU TEs

16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Seeing a 3rd rounder like Wilson tearing up the league certainly has to make the public feel better about non 1st rounder QBs prospects. The only thing keeping Wilson out of the first day was his height though.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How do you [or we] know this?
    Last year was the rookie season. . . . he was not HORRIBLE.
    There should still be room for growth right?

Rocket River

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

We don't.

He is a prospect. And it takes prospects like Yates longer than two seasons to be ready if they do indeed pan out.

19. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

I spoke to early. I should have said if they lose the NE game and Schaub looks bad they will take a QB (probably in 3 or 4 round) but if Schaub plays well in a loss or if WE WIN (Hell yah!!!) then we are back to last years status.

Obviously I hope we win but I think it is very remote. He may play well in the loss though.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get to watch the Texans as much as y'all in Houston but I've seen Schaub throw it down field and the Texans have had offensive explosions this season. I agree Schaub isn't among the Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Mannings of the league but he isn't a Division III QB.