1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak Must Go?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by dandorotik, Nov 29, 2009.

1. BucMan55

BucMan55 Member

I just want a guy who is going to be here for a long, long time. Someone who is going to do his thing and get the team to have success. I can live with having a worse season than the one before it. Field a competitive team and be in the playoffs or in the chase every year. But dangit, be able to win a game when the team has a solid lead.

Still remember that bloody Rams game from 4 years ago. That was embarassing.

2. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Member

So true. I know that players will want to work hard and play for Cowher if he were the coach. Kubiak doesn't get that out of his players for whatever reason. We can't waste away our core talent who are in their prime or just getting there for a coach who can't get everything out of them. This team is a playoff team just not coached right. Kubiak would be a good coordinator like someone mentioned..

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

What makes you think this team has a 4-game winning streak in it?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

What made you think they had a 3 game losing streak in them?

They won 3 straight before that...

They finished last year extremely strong...

Anything can happen.

I'm expecting 3-2, and would not be shocked by 4-1.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Remember they a few lucky breaks from being 7-4 or something like that.

The reality is . . . IMO . . . Alot of the losses were because of inexperience of the coach.
    sometimes simply Telling the men what to do is not enough

Leadership is more than . . I got a plan . . follow it

Rocket River
    hopefully Gary has learned this . .. else we might need Dick Butkus to give him a motivational speech

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Because we're the Texans? ;)

All I'm saying is that I'm done penciling in wins for this team. I don't care who we're playing.

We have a gift for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We've shown it time and time again.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

This is incredibly inaccurate. You don't think the Texans play hard?

Getting beat does not equal not playing hard. Making mistakes doesn't mean you didn't play hard.

Never confuse effort with results. The Texans don't lose because of a lack of effort.

8. msn

msn Member

What game plan?

Let me be specific about what I mean:

Heard a sound bite from Kubes, in which he said something to the effect of, "I gotta find that play that's gonna get us going, help us get our offense moving again in the second half. I haven't been able to find it yet; I gotta find it."

Hey Gary: NFL teams adjust at halftime. 11 weeks in, if you haven't been able to key in on how teams are adjusting to you, and you're looking for some play to get you by...

Wow. Just, wow. I wouldn't want that as my head coach OR my OC.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I get what you are saying, but quotes to the press shouldn't be taken as meaning anything substantial. Coaches and players use "press speak" when they talk to the media and fans. They use cliches and say very simplistic things that should be taken with a grain of salt.

10. msn

msn Member

Thanks for that -- you're right.

But it has become painfully obvious that when teams adjust to this offense, Kubiak & company have no clue how to overcome it.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sometimes it does not look like they playing hard
    at others looks like they lack focus

Rocket River

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Oh I agree with you completely, but not because he makes some weird comments to the media. The man isn't media savvy and is as polished as a turd. He's just a football man and when he talks to the media he just says stuff like most coaches of his ilk do.

13. desihooper

desihooper Member
    Supporting Member

But there are games where the teams plays better in the second half. The Arizona game (outscored them 21-7), the Buffalo game (outscored them 25-0), and the first Colts game (outscored them 14-7) come to mind.

It's just a darn shame that the past two weeks, they've come out of halftime and got beat (3-6 against the Titans and 7-28 against the Colts).

#53 desihooper, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  14. msn

msn Member

So, he can make adjustments. Shouldn't it follow that he would be looking for teams to adjust to him? If the same stuff you pulled in the first half isn't working, why isn't it working? What is the other team doing different? How can you exploit whatever change they made? I can't for the life of me think of a game this entire year where the team was strong in the first half and even effective in the second.

It's a crying shame. And to me, that rests squarely on the coaches. The guys (with the exception of the PayMe celebration fiasco) are playing hard.

You can point to the pick-6 from Schaub -- but really, why the hell had the offense not done anything for the previous quarter-and-a-half? I'm not asking to throw 17 more up on the Colts, but how about hold on to the ball more than 90 seconds?

15. Dubious

Dubious Member

If Bob McNair's personal lawyer is not on the phone with Bill Cowher's agent today then we need a new owner.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

The ironic thing is that the running game was working against the Colts (for a change). Yet, we only ran the ball 8 times in the 2nd half.

I thought Kubiak's offense was supposed to use the run to set up the play-action pass.

17. emjohn

emjohn Member

That's only when we're getting 2 yds/carry or less. Critical point in the philosophy.

18. desihooper

desihooper Member
    Supporting Member

I think they did make an adjustment in the second half of the second Colts game. They came out throwing the ball. In the first series, they went pass, run, run, INT (deep pass to AJ). In their second series, they went pass, run, pass, punt. Their adjustment was to be more aggressive (this started at the end of the first half on that third and one call where Schuab threw the fade to AJ). For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't try to continue gashing the Colts with the running game that was hitting at almost five yards a pop. Going away from the run lead to the ineffectiveness of the play action pass in the second half.

So they made an adjustment, had they stayed the course, I think the outcome of the game might have been different. Maybe they get that first down at the end of the first half and go on to punch it in for 6 rather than settle for 3?? Maybe Schaub doesn't throw that ill-advised one-option deep route to AJ?!?

Maybe we're all not so pissed on Tuesday :cool:

So to answer your question as to "why was it not working?" I think the simple answer is that we went away from what was working in the first place, thus playing into the hands of a fast, aggressive Colts defense. In the third quarter alone, we ran 3 times for 19 yards. If it wasn't for a senseless false start penalty on Chris White on that second series, we're looking at picking up a first down on third and six rather than trying to convert a third and eleven. Just utterly frustrating...

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Actually the Texans have seen a rise in pass plays. Almost 70% against the Titans, and 60% against the Colts the first time.

Kubiak's counter-intuitive philosophy has us forcing the run when it sucks and passing more when Chris Brown of all people is doing well. Sometimes it seems like he's just play calling the opposite because he thinks its daring. Going for 4th and 1 so much, bad challenges, shooting for the endzone on 3rd and 1.

20. msn

msn Member

wow desi, good point.

I missed most of the first half; I came in in time to see Schaub throw that fade to AJ.