1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KU vs. UH in Ft. Worth Bowl Dec 23

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by bottlerocket, Dec 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

2. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Can this get moved to the hangout?

4. DonnyMost

I'll donate to the CF.net tipjar if this thing gets moved to the hangout. :cool: :cool:

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Why is the Texas Longhorns symbol branded into the football on the Ft Worth Bowl's website? :confused:

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's weird. The actual logo doesn't look exactly like the symbol, but the one on the football does. I certainly understand the use of a longhorn logo for the bowl, however.

7. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I guess b/c of their stockyard district??
    Austin isn't the only place w/ steers & queerz....from what I hear.

8. DonnyMost

Offer still stands.

9. P. Moon

P. Moon Member

A Longhorn is on the Fort Worth city logo, hence the Longhorn on the website.

10. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

FYI...

I had started another UH thread in the Hang Out awhile back then it was moved to College, International Hoops & NBA Draft. So that is why I started the thread here.

Go Coogs!

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I copied this from the Chronicle's "UH Notebook..."

UH is looking for support
    Maggard urges fans to fill stands at Fort Worth Bowl

By MICHAEL MURPHY
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

In 1916, artist James Montgomery Flagg produced one of the best-known pieces of artwork of the first half of the 20th century. It was originally printed on the cover of Leslie's Weekly — a portrait of Uncle Sam pointing his finger at the reader with the title, "What Are You Doing for (War) Preparedness?"

The cover was later turned into a World War I recruiting poster with the line "I Want You For (the) U.S. Army."

Nine decades later the University of Houston should reproduce the poster, with athletics director Dave Maggard, his Cougars ballcap replacing Uncle Sam's star-spangled stovepipe, pointing his meaty index finger at UH fans with the line, "Uncle Dave Wants You To Attend the Fort Worth Bowl."

Maggard not only wants it, he's demanding it.

Maggard makes no attempt to hide the fact that he has been hugely disappointed with the attendance at this year's football games, especially with the "crowds" that showed up for the Southern Miss game (announced at 15,119) and SMU (only 14,650 with bowl eligibility on the line).

But Maggard wants to erase all those bad memories of empty seats by filling up Amon G. Carter Stadium with a sea of red for the Dec. 23 Fort Worth Bowl against Kansas.

"I indicated that if we were to receive a bid that we would bring thousands of Cougar alums," Maggard said. "We're counting on that. We're counting on it from the standpoint that if we're going to be a bowl team year-in and year-out, and that is our goal, then we need to travel that way. We need to have people buy tickets, attend the games and so on. In the past, the University of Houston has not been known as a great travel team. We have to change that. That has to change. We have to begin that this year.

"I'm making this point because not only do bowls look at the record, but they also look at the number of people who come to the games from the two (teams). We want to make a very big, strong push for our (fans) to get together in Fort Worth on Dec. 23 for this bowl game."

12. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Not a bad deal

$99 ESPN+ “Join The Party” Package
    (Value $200+)
    Four (4) $40 Tickets in ESPN+ Football Fan Zone
    One (1) Parking Pass
    Four (4) Bowl Logo Patches
    One (1) ESPN the Magazine Annual Subscription

-or-

$60 Family Pack
    Four (4) Family Section Tickets, (2 adult tickets and 2 kids tickets)
    $15 for an additional ticket

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

UH also switched their home game vs. North Texas to an away game the same day so fans can see both teams in the same day if they so desired.

14. DonnyMost

Yeah, but that was a basketball thread.

This is the college/intl hoops forum.. not football.

Besides, like I said before.. most UT and A&M football and bball threads seem to be OK in the hangout..

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

For an offense that is apparently so pass happy, Kolb sure didn't throw many TD passes this season...

16. DonnyMost

MYTH!

Briles runs a pretty balanced attack, and this year he had probably the best backfield in the history of the school.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I guess some people have never been to Ft. Worth. the city exists because of the cattle trade.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course the football ones stay there, that's where they're supposed to go. I've seen basketball threads regarding UT moved to this forum, however.

Seriously, it's not a conspiracy.

19. DonnyMost

Not saying it is.

But it is a fact that UT and A&M basketball threads don't typically wind up here, unless they're started here.

Once again, asking a mod to please pretty please move this to the hangout.

20. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

There's A&M basketball??
    I assume you mean Prairie View A&M, correct??
    I hope Cynthia Cooper does well as coach.