1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

KT for Mihm?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 1, 2002.

?

KT for Mihm?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    73.1%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. enbehay

enbehay Member

Cleveland might be tempted because they need a Kenny Thomas type player and Collier is better suited for PF than center. However, Collier also can serve as a backup to Cleveland's current centers so he wouldn't be a throw-in. Mihm is better suited for C than PF so we are covered in case the Griffin doesn't get big enough to play center. Ergo, DD's proposal makes sense for both teams. However, I doubt the Cavs would do it.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I can say, i don't think there's many people on this board that watches as many games as i do. I don't think it would be very hard to get him personally. I think given the minutes he can produce. Its not just the foul trouble, its that they play Z for the other minutes. People keep saying that he will only play 22-25 minutes on this team which is bulls**t. People act like this team is so loaded that good or decent players ca't get game. We have Kenny Thomas at power forward, Walt Williams at small forward, and Kelvin Cato at center! Show me one team in the league these 3 could start at!. We're in need to increase the talent pool on this team, plain and simple. It does, the trade gives us a chance to get Griffin game time which is very important. If we did make the trade and Mihm put up good numbers along with Griffin, The future hall of famer Taylor would be the one trying to fit in, not those two.

We bring up a thread about the guy having a nice shot, and someone pull Mo Taylor out their ass. Let it rest people. Its not like he was Chris Mullin or Larry Bird from 15ft. Besides, he's not the only 4 man in this league that can shoot from that distance. This team needs a increase in talent and production and maybe Mihm could give it to us. Remember, Cleveland had Haywood and traded him for nothing just like Orlando traded him for Laron Profit? Why weren't we in the deal somehow? Anyways , if Cleveland would go for Collier Thomas for Mihm, I would do it fast, very fast.

3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Well, the Rockets already did pick up the 4th year team option on Kenny's contract, which means he'll still be on his rookie contract through next season. Just thought that should be noted, since it's of some significance.....

The trade seems pretty fair. The Cavs already invested big money in Ilgauskas (the max: 71.9 million over 6 years I believe), and they haven't been over-zealous with Mihm as a player. It's a very plausible trade.

It's been fairly obvious that Kenny's well-aware of the situation he's in. Hell, he was talking about how this league was a business since the beginning of last season and how he could be traded tommorow. He hinted at his his lack of affiliation with the team. He has that mercenary mind-set.

One incident that manifested that mercenary-mindset was a game against the Kings I think, where Kenny grabbed a rebound at the end of the quarter right as the buzzer went off; he pointed at the official scorer and said "You counted that board, right?". I'm probably the only one that noticed it, but it showed how concerned he is with stats, which as he well knows, equate to a bigger contract. Let me clarify that this is not necesarilly a bad thing; it shows that he's motivated.

As much as I'd like to keep him, he's playing himself into a nice contract, and despite the facility in matching any contract offers (put him in the same boat as a Marc Jackson) that would arise if he was a free agent, it's probably best for the team and Kenny if they parted ways, preferrably during the next off-season.

The question becomes, do you package KT and Collier for a player like Mihm, or say KT and our draft pick? Realistically, that pick is NOT going to be top 5 with Francis returning and the team getting healthier. I don't see us getting a pick any higher than 8th.

I also don't see the Rockets giving up on Collier with his size and shooting ability. KT and our pick seems like the most plausible scenario to me......

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KT has put up better numbers than Mihm.

Mihm is better than Collier. Slightly better offensive skills, and has the added bonus of shotblocking.

DoD-Murray and Jones are more 3s than they are 4s.

You think Doleac, Ziggy, Diop, and Tyrone Hill aren't enough to cover the 5 spot? I disagree. Cleveland has made Mihm into a 4 to try to get him more minutes, because of their center log jam. Collier can get them minutes their as well, if injuries hit them hard enough.

That's why this makes sense, IMO. Cleveland gets a guy who will be more productive at the 4 slot. We get a guy who can give us productive minutes at the 5 slot, and also is a local kid (helps our terrible attendance).

TheFreak-Personally, I'd start Mihm at center, and Griffin at PF, and bring Taylor in as the #1 option off the bench, with Cato. If Taylor is coming off the bench, he can focus on scoring, not have to worry as much about rebounding, and not have as much pressure coming back from injury. I don't want to rely on Griffin growing into a center body, and have him overbulk, and be less effective.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but I am still laughing because I just read your posts in the "The White One" thread where you say Langhi is as good as Nowitzki... :D

Although this kind of hurts your credibility as a basketball expert, I agree that Mihm would be an upgrade over Cato and Willis...let's see if there is a chance...

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hehe...not enough - but to make my point again...I would prefer Moochie Norris to Cato at C - I would even prefer Sheryl Swoopes...

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Where's Crispee to prop up his boy? There's got to be someone out there willing to be devil's advocate to majority opinion in this thread and argue that Mihm isn't worth KT straight-up. I think I'd be less supportive of this trade if I thought there was a strong chance KT would stay next year, but I'm doubtful. I don't think either he or Taylor will settle for coming off the bench. And Mo's not going anywhere, at least for awhile.

8. Band Geek Mobster

So Chris Mihm is a center with an outside shot and average rebounding numbers?

He sounds like a healthy Jason Collier to me.

I mean I guess he blocks an occasional shot, but his rebounding numbers aren't much different from Cato's...

I admit never seeing the guy in college, which might be the reason I'm not excited about Mihm, but I think we need more than a 39.9% jumpshooting center with average rebounding numbers...

I'd rather have a guy that just rebounds and blocks shots and doesn't take a shot outside the paint than yet another jumpshooter...

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's thinner and quicker that Collier. He can also jump higher. Physicaly, his frame more resembles someone like 'The Chief' Robert Parrish. He also has a long, lean jump hook inside. Because of his thin, lanky frame and his decent to good jumping ability, he can score inside, while Collier can't. It's the difference between MoT and CWeb: They both have the same style inside-out game, but CWeb is 10x more explosive.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If we did not have Mo and EG, I would probably not make the trade, but we are stocked at the 4, and KT is the odd man out. Just look at how he is playing this year.

He has the best court sense on the Rockets, but he will NOT pass the ball, it is clear he knows his time is limited, and he will probably not get the minutes next year, so he is playing for the new contract now.

I think the Rockets would be wise to trade him, and if we can upgrade our weakest spot on the floor, then I say do it.

DD

11. Lobo_Louie

Lobo_Louie Member

I'd love for KT to go to a team with a real PG. Steve Francis doesn't pass (especially now, heh). Andre Miller was a college foe of KT's and has seen what he can do with a real PG.

I say trade KT to Cleveland (or the Lakes, they need a 4).

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a very interesting argument. Very conditional argument...

What if the Rockets win the lotto, or land top 3? Would it be worth it to trade KT and the pick for a stud like Odom? Truthfully, this draft doesn't have many players that fit the Rockets. Unlike last year, this draft won't have nearly as many stud HSers (Stoudamire the only good one), and there aren't many college centers, unless a LOT declare early, and there aren't too many apparent candidates that jump out. Last year had lots of Cs/SFs. This year, the guards will be plentiful, but we have no need for Jason Williams, Kareem Rush, Wagner, etc.

Would we go with a bird in the hand now, like Mihm, or wait to potentially get a star, in the bush?

13. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

OK, I'll be the devil's advocate here. I must admit I've only watched a handful of games, but we're talking about trading a guy who has done a solid job as the Rocks' primary inside scoring option this year, not to mention their most consistent force on the boards (with the possible exception of Franchise). Plus he's still improving.

I guess you guys feel pretty good about MoT and/or EG picking up the slack in these areas. Here are my observations:

MoT: Peaked already, we'll see how well he comes back from injury. Soft on the boards (but I guess you already knew that).

EG: Sky's the limit, but there's a lot of debate on this BBS as to whether he ultimately becomes an inside threat on offense or stays on the perimeter.

I don't know what kind of contract KT will want, but isn't there some way to keep him here?

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't understand why Mihm doesn't post up about the same why Eddie doesn't. Mihm has a nice jump hook and is a pretty good shotblocker and rebounder. As far as him being like a healthy Jason Collier, I agree that he is a much better athelete than collier. I wouldn't min seeing us making a run at him and see what happens. As far as us and the draft pick, unless the guy can come in and be instant player at the 3 spot, i would rather us trade that pick similar to what the Clipps did. I don't want to have to wait 3 or 4 yrs for a guy to develop. I would look at Marion and Odom to try to get with that pick. A lineup of Francis,Mobley,Marion or Odom and Griffin would be the real deal. Its easier said than done, but another young guy just won't do it.

15. enbehay

enbehay Member

I see Portland lost again yesterday. Cleveland and Houston aren't faring too well either. Perhaps all three should consider this: the Rockets send Cato back to Portland (they need a true center since Sarbonis and J. O'Neal left); Portland sends Zach Randolph to Cleveland (they need a promising true PF); and Cleveland sends Mihm to the Rockets. Everyone wins.

16. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I haven't seen Mihm too much but this sounds like a good outcome because we are likely to lose KT someway or another. Collier is iffy, but he looks so stiff on the floor.

I think we need something else from Cleveland to even out this deal.

KT has done more than Mihm.

17. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

First, you have to evaluate Kenny's true potential.
    1. Can he develop a good outside shot?
    2. Will he continue to be vulnerable to turnovers from double teams on his blind side?

Even without an outside shot, Kenny would destroy second-string PFs as a backup. As a starter, Kenny gets an A on offense and rebounding and a C on defense. As a backup, he probably gets an A+ on offense and a B on defense. That's a lot of talent down low to pass up on - especially when we have him locked in at rookie rates for the next year and a half.

There is also the possibility of using him as a 3 on defense and a 4 on offense, with Mo T playing the opposite. Despite all the various press, nobody knows what position Griffin will play - he could end up playing 3,4, and 5 at times (and hopefully the other team will be scared no matter where he plays).

If you think about money available for the 3 spot as well, we might be able to afford to keep Kenny. I think we'd all regret it if he goes to a Western conference team and has a long successful career as a Rocket-killer.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You do realize that he is *locked* up for next year (team option, 4th year) and we have a 5th year as a restricted free agent. He is going nowhere unless we decide so. He can't make a threatening demand like a premier free agent like Francis could...who is in the identical free agent situation...KT would come off sounding like a disgruntled trouble-maker.

Surely, you can make your realGM trades without saying KT is gone in a year...it is not that desparate. Besides, what "writing on the wall" are you talking about. Griffin? You know, not every player needs to start, but they do need to get beat out. Apparently, you already have the 19yr old rail beating out KT in a conferense of powerful PFs. Clearly, he hasn't beat out KT, yet. Instead, Eddie is stealing playing time from the small forwards and centers. This offense is well suited for KT (he will always get at least 25 mpg, imo) . . . and he knows it. He also knows that Rudy is more creative with rotations and mismatchings than your need to dreamcast a prototype center.

DaDakota...no one is trading an up and coming prototype center for an atypical, albeit explosive, short PF. You have no trade here, and you have no desparate situation with KT, either.

#38 heypartner, Jan 2, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2002
  19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This is the most interesting thing I've read in this whole thread. I completely missed this and assumed Kenny was putting on a show for the league this year because he was on the market next year.

If he's locked up for next year, too, then, the show isn't just a show, it's for real. And if we have another year to think about it, I'd rather let Kenny and Mo play out the latter part of this season and the early part of next before deciding who fits where (especially in a lineup with Eddie) and who gets shipped out. Before making that decision, wouldn't you like to find out how much rebounding we need from the 4, as opposed to shooting?

In principle, a deal like this one makes sense. Team A has a logjam at one position, Team B has a logjam at the other. Each team gives up a good player and still has plenty left to spare at that position.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Will,

It is identical to Francis. He is locked up for next year, and he is a restricted free agent the following.

DaDakota is crying wolf.

The wolf cry works better with Francis, because we likely will never get equal trade value back if he ever demands a trade.