1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kristaps Porzingis available

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 20, 2017.

1. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

His defensive rebound rate is excellent--what kills his overall rebound rate is offensive rebounding because he's playing on the perimeter. That's a purposeful tradeoff any team would make in this era.

malakas likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

sorry but what??
    Devin Booker has defensive insticts?
    He is one of the absolutely worst defenders in the league...are we talking about the same Booker who plays for the Suns?

Both players have holes in their game.
    Porzingis' red flag is that his second year he failed to improve, has all the time small injuries that keep him off for 1-2 months total every season so far, hasn't shown much improvement in his body and stamina -yet- and his rebounding.

Booker on the other hand is the worst defender, an inefficient scorer who isn't the best playmaker.

Both can improve some of that and become true stars. So far neither of them are a sure thing imo.

3. malakas

malakas Member

I don't think Porzingis will be traded. It's more like psychological pressure by Jackson.
    But the way he and NY are treating him...it's not going to end well.

Vivi likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is 20, playing on arguably the worst team in basketball. His on ball defense shows all kinds of promise. Fantastic feet and instincts.

The strengths of Kristaps are well documented. Fantastic tools and one of my favorite players. That said, Devin Booker shows advanced skills that could make him a nightly 50 point threat, and potentially a dominant 4th quarter closer with his ability to get to the free-throw line. He is already showing an intense, alpha mentality and he is a full year younger than Kristaps, who was a gigantic disappearing act for large portions of last year, even when Carmelo wasn't playing. He also has shown a clear lack of moves in general. Whether that is all on the Knicks shoddy offense or not remains to be seen.

Rim protection is nice, but in today's NBA, an elite scorer that can close games is tough to give up. Again, I'm not saying Devin Booker is clearly better, I am saying that the Suns would be crazy to give up Booker and the 4 for Kristaps.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe the Knicks are scared he might sign the qo and leave...i mean, i realize it'll be difficult to turn down money for one year, but if their relationship is gonna get even worse i wouldn't be shocked.

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

He is also 20, and it takes a little scouting to see he has good feet, good size and a high IQ, as well as a fantastic motor. I have no doubt that he has the potential to be a more than solid defender on the wing.

It's easy for someone to point at the Suns (Basically a college team) and say that no one can play defense.

7. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Rim protection and perimeter shooting are two of the most important things today and it's the incredibly rare player that can offer them. If Booker reaches his potential, he'll be a player like CJ McCollum--an excellent scorer, deficient defender and sub-par passer. If Porzingis reaches his potential, he'll be something like Nowitzki on offense and DeAndre Jordan on defense.

I don't use Jordan as a proxy for "a DPotY candidate" because I don't think Jordan is one--but Jordan is a tremendous asset on defense just for his rim protection and defensive rebounding. Nowitzki with Jordan's defensive value is the type of top-end value that Booker will never be able to match no matter how much he maxes out his potential.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Ok..high iq when it comes to offence yes but iq when it comes to defence is horrible. He has no instict. Even Suns fans admit it.
    One player can be a genius in one side of the court and a joke on the other as we all know being Rockets fans. That's booker.

Can that be improved? Yes..-though I would be shocked if he ever becomes a great defender-.
    But as Booker could improve so could Porzingis.

As I said in my other post, imo no player is set in stone to become a star yet. They need to improve.
    But for Porzingis imo the biggest red flag is his non improvement in the second year. That's MAJOR red flag. I don't know how he escaped critisism for that tbh.

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

His defensive rebound rate is identical to Ryan Anderson's when he first came into the league. Both his rebounding and shot blocking rates dropped off last year, which is not a great sign.

Ryno DRR
    1. 19.0
    2. 16.2
    3. 18.1

Kristaps DRR
    1. 20.7
    2. 18.2
    3. ?

Regardless, 7.9 rebounds per 36 as a springy, 7-3 Sophomore is worrisome. For comparison, Clint Capela is pulling in 12.2 rebounds per 36. I hope he improves, because last year he often looked soft in spite of his massive potential.

#109 RudyTBag, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Obviously. No one said otherwise. You appear to be arguing with yourself.

Hooker and Kraps have all the potential in the world to improve.

11. malakas

malakas Member

They wouldn't have to fear that at all, if they didn't treat him like trash.

Phil Jackson said some very..controversial things at the end of the regular season too. He said smth like -paraphrasing from memory here- Porzingis takes the easy way out by shooting 3s, and he's not untouchable.
    As a GM you don't have to be a genius to know that you have to be careful on what you say to the press about a franchise player. Especially one who is superyoung.

Vivi likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

CJ McCollum huh? :D
    Dirk on offense, Deandre Jordan on defense huh? :D

Okay... :rolleyes:

13. malakas

malakas Member

hhahaha maybe I am. However I have seen here and there people claiming that they are future superstars like is set in stone.

On the other hand someone like Turner who imo is as good as Porzingis goes under the radar.

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

woud anyone be scared of a booker /kristaps led team?

#114 Brown Lost It, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol... overrating Porzingis and underrating Booker.

Imo, it would be crazy to trade Booker for Porzingis straight up, much less have to include a top lotto pick.

One thing I think barely anyone ever recognizes or considers is Booker's age. He was super young when drafted. He doesn't turn 21 until late October. Meaning in his 3rd year in the NBA he'll be 21. CJ McCollum will be 26 next year.

Or for a better comparison, Booker is only 4 months older than Josh Jackson from the draft this year, lol.

I mean it's fair to say Booker needs to get his 3 point % up a little, in today's NBA, needs to become a better defender, and a better all around player - rebounding, assists... but he had a 20 year old season as good as anyone except the all time all time all time greats (KG, KD, Lebron and the like).

In today's NBA, I'd rather have the 6'6 scoring wing than the 7'3 multifaceted big.

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OT: It's refreshing to see such a lively debate in the Dish without things getting too personal or nasty. I wish this kind of discussion was more common on CF, especially on the other forums.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Rebound rates around 20 are petty solid. Ryan Anderson's early career defensive rebound rates were fine. He's since dropped to the 11-12 range, so his reputation is as a weak rebounder but he wasn't in his first few seasons, on the defensive end.

Dropping from from 20.7 to 18.2 isn't particularly worrisome unless it becomes a trend. A single year-to-year trend like that could easily be volatility--if next year he has a defensive rebound rate like 19, his 18.2 will look like noise.

It's not worrisome in context. Capela plays around the hoop exclusively on offense and is one of the best rebounders in basketball. I'm not trying to suggest that Prozingis is one of the best rebounders in the game, but he's a fine rebounder. His offensive game simply prevents him from getting the few extra rebounds per game on the offensive end that he'd get if he played near the hoop all the time. Instead, he plays on the perimeter because that's what makes him so valuable.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. thedude077

thedude077 Member

lololololololololololololol