1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPjr's D

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 5, 2022.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Jesus - talk about your mental backflips to support a false narrative

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Those are ultimately the 2 biggest differences

1. to me he is a 4th year player, because he is in his 4th year
    2. You consider him to be improving, i do not. He was a super high turnover and super inefficient player as a rookie, same in his 2nd year, same in his 3rd, same so far in his 4th. There is simply no precedence as far as i know of anyone who sucked this bad and showed zero improvement for this long to become a quality starter.

clos4life, clutchdabear and maypk like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Same efficiency as Green currently......can't wait to read your thoughts on that.

DD

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Jalen has been extremely disappointing this season to me, but he's also had some great games (there was a great breakdown in the other KPJ thread). For me though (i know you view time in the league differently), Green is only a 2nd year guy. If he's putting up a 54 TS 2 years from now, i'll likely consider him a bust at that point.

clos4life and clutchdabear like this.
  5. studogg

Yeah - DD views time through a wormhole - but only for KPJr

clos4life and clutchdabear like this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Do you realize I'm a bigger Real Madrid fan than Rockets fan, live in Europe, and watch every Real Madrid game, both football and basketball? You probably didn't even watch one game of them. Luka Doncić dominated every level he played on so much they moved him to older and older sections until he got on a senior roster. BTW won MVP of the Euroleague tournament too. 18-year-old Luka was probably better than KPJs ceiling. What are you even talking about its not a matter of coaching, that Luka is so good. Of course it helps but he is and always was the best. In every court he ever stepped his foot on he was one of the best. Another thing is playing kids with seniors if they are not ready - gives them more harm than positives

clutchdabear likes this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He views time and stats in however way that benefits KPJ. Man spins more than a windmill.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know highlight clips are misleading. But someone posted this in the Jabari thread. That KPJ defense against Harden was pretty bad.

clos4life, clutchdabear and maypk like this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Saw thybulle and thought he would be good consolation for Gordon at this point. We need some better perimter defenders on this team

10. DaDakota

We just need to hold ours accountable to play D, they can when properly motivated.

DD

11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Our guards can play on-man d when the other team does not move, or does not move well and they are properly motivated.

Our d was good but Philadelphia scored as much as they did in the whole season. We did not limit them to very few points. It looks good because we are really bad against the other type of teams, which is most of the nba.

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The eye test can be misleading, too. How well team defense is being played can look deceptive for an individual.

The matchups for individual players changes from night to night. Your assignment one night might be one of the best players in the league, while the following night you get one of the worst, or even the worst on his team. If you are matched up against a terrible shooter and you play lockdown defense where he has 6 points on 8 shots, that can look like a stellar night defensively to the eye and on the stat sheet. But it’s very likely that those shots were going to more effective/efficient players. I’m generally going to put that on the coaches to be aware and tell their players, “whoever is guarding [inefficient Player X], be sure to sag off and provide help for or cut off passing lanes to [more efficient Player Y].” Defensively shutting down poor players is not necessarily good basketball.

In most years, the DPOY award is going to the player that leads (or very nearly) the league in steals or blocks. I know people like to act like stats are meaningless, but the NBA disagrees. And these individual stats are more reflective of a player’s performance rather than the team’s defensive philosophy. It demonstrates superior footwork, athleticism, anticipation, court vision, etc.

In the main defensive stats of rebounding, steals and blocks, the top players for the Rockets (and their NBA ranking) are:

Rebounds
    22. Sengun
    42. Smith

Steals
    16. Eason
    26. KPJ

Blocks
    36. Smith
    37. Sengun

Smith and Sengun are the top two in two different categories, each leading in one of them. Eason leads KPJ in the other and is the only player on the Rockets to be top 20 in any category.

Everyone is going to have their own preference for valuing eye test over stats, but it is very hard for me to make a case for KPJ being the team’s best defender.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

SaTaN pOrTeR jR pLaYs nO dEfEnSe !!

https://sports.yahoo.com/kevin-port...src=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

hlmbasketball likes this.
  14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

My favorite part is “I HATE HERO BALL, but the coach told him to”. Like WTF. I mean, yeah Silas may not have a defined system as far as I can tell. But does anyone believe he would tell his players just play hero ball, someone not so good at it no less? Might as well just say the coach told him to turn the ball over and miss shots on purpose too.

Whatever fits his narratives I guess.

studogg, clutchdabear and maypk like this.
  15. DaDakota

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I would be happier with KPJ at the SF spot and not as a primary ballhandler.

clos4life likes this.
  17. studogg

When has an opposing coach, on being asked a puff question about a player on the opposing team, not had kind things to say about said player? See if Doc wants him on his team and get me his thoughts there and I'll put some stock into those.

I also love that people are glossing over two key facts on his big 50% FT trip that resulted in overtime... 1 - it was a horrible hero ball decision that he got bailed out on. If Embiid simply stays vertical it's a badly missed shot and the wrong person taking it at that time. 2 - he makes both free throws and the game is over.. He only made one..... as a guard who's supposed to hit the gimmes.

18. anchel

anchel Member

Defense is not only about 1on1. Following those standards people come to the conclusion that Gordon is an excellent defender, or even Harden was an above average defender.

Yes, Porter has improved his 1on1 D and often does a good job there. He's still slow/late/soft at helping, passing screens, at transition D, and never boxes out his man. Overall, his defensive impact is not good yet.

clos4life likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

DD all over KPJ’s D

Come up for air already.

[​IMG]

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

earlier in the 2nd half there was a defensive 3sec call against philly

why did porter step up to the FT line ahead of jalen, who's a better FT shooter than him

porter ended up bricking that freebie, the difference between OT and winning in regulation..

duluth111222, studogg and clos4life like this.