1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPjr's D

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 5, 2022.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

he's fine with slow backcourts that don't run around screens for three point shots. put a speedy shooting backcourt in there and he and Jalen get burned with the inability to stick through a screen.

If you can't stay in front of Harden these days - you have no business being in the NBA.

2. maypk

maypk Member

Him leading the league in turnovers is an UNDENIABLE FACT and you seem to have trouble understanding it. It has nothing to do with his age or his potential.

And it's not a blatant lie if i think this is as good as he will ever be in terms of playmaking since his playmaking skills haven't improved one bit compared to last 2 years.

And just to make one thing clear, i don't hate him. I hate the way he plays basketball.

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one, NO ONE is disputing that KPJ needs to get his turnovers down, so does Green - the point is if you hit shots, or force the same number of turnovers on Defense it doesn't matter if you win.

Honestly, don't you think kids at 22 and 20 are going to turn it over more often than when they are say 26 and 24? Can you honestly say this will be their turnover % their entire career? Or do you think they will get better as almost every NBA player does.

That is Silas system - do you hate the way Green plays basketball too? He has almost the same percentages as KPJ.....nearly identical just shoots a little more often?

And if not, why not?

They have exactly the same role, scoring initiators.

DD

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Essentially what you are saying with that claim is that it doesn’t matter how often a player has the ball or shoots the ball.

20 points on 20 shots is the same as 20 points on 10 shots.

10 assists every 50 possessions is the same as 10 assists every 100 possessions

10 turnovers every 50 possessions is the same as 10 turnovers every 100 possessions.

It’s a clown take. And please stop assuming that anyone who has a brain and chooses to use it to think logically about the game is exempt from growing up playing the game.

clutchdabear and pippendagimp like this.
  5. DaDakota

If you never played the game at a decent level you are missing a MASSIVE amount of perspective that can't be found in a spreadsheet.

DD

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Not necessarily no, hardens turnovers increased as his career went on so it’s possible kpj’s can as well

clutchdabear likes this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. Tell'em how you REALLY FEEL!

8. maypk

maypk Member

I don't because they don't have the same role.

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of what you're.missing to is the pass that leads to an assist.....that's why I don't put too much into numbers. It's the eye test

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

EXACTLY! Numbers don't tell the WHOLE story. These KPJ haters can make an absolute glorious day miserable. Lol

We won, team is improving and they somehow find the negative.

11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Good point, which is why I want to see more of this from him. He may or may not be able to stay with quicker guards, but I want to see the effort at least. No laziness, no back pedaling ever so slowly on defense, etc.

12. studogg

or standing around crying about not getting a foul call while the other team fast breaks to an easy hoop? It's gonna happen to the best of them occasionally, but I see it too much from Scooter.

13. DaDakota

Well Harden became a Points guard, or a combo guard who initiates...KPJ is already that.

That is 100% fair, and something that comes as he matures.....

I want all you KPJ Anti folks to ask yourself one question.

When you watch the Rockets do you actually enjoy watching them or do you find yourself nitpicking on KPJ because you hate him or the way he plays?

If it is the latter, you might want to consider thinking about why you are a fan.

DD

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And again I’d ask you not just assume that people who use stats never played at a decent level.

I would question the quality/level of play you experienced if the takes you took away from that experience were that if you win then the mistakes made in that game don’t matter and that usage rate is a joke.

I know for damn sure we had to run lines/suicides in practice after games we won because of the mistakes we made in that game. Because they do matter if you want to win more in the future.

I know for damn sure poor shooting and bad shot selection was called out even in games we won.

What there is absolutely no question about is that your lack of understanding of numbers/denial of their relevancy means YOU are missing a MASSIVE amount of perspective no matter how much experience playing you may or may not have had in your life.

clutchdabear and maypk like this.
  15. maypk

maypk Member

Great points. Using stats is pretty much all you got left when some people still refuse to see the fact that KPJ is not a point guard and will never be one. It's not hate, it's reality. I don't call anyone a "hater" when they say Sengun will never be an elite rim protector because he will never be one. Stop being oversensitive.

16. studogg

Lately I've been having to turn off the first half and tune back in during the third quarter. The meltdown's of the first quarter are not enjoyable.

I also get frustrated with players that exhibit hero ball mentality, especially when their skill set doesn't match. Seems I remember you getting frustrated with players in a similar manner in the past, but you've adopted KPJ as a pet and feel the need to defend everything under the guise of "continued improvement". I was definitely into a similar frustration point with Steve Francis when it was clear to me that he wasn't going to develop into a guard who could run an offense. Even if you have a great point forward, your lead guard needs to be able to run an offense.

deflect all you want. I continue to make points based on fact and play. I don't feel I'm taking misguided shots and have said he'll have a career in this league but is a poor fit with our team. I hope he proves me wrong but I'm not reading much into last night where the slowest back court in existence had him looking like a decent defender.

He's four years in.... when is this maturity going to come DD? when he loses his skill set?

clutchdabear, duluth111222 and maypk like this.
  17. DaDakota

Yes they do.

They are both scoring combo guards, they run PnR and initiate, both of them.....

KPJ gets 5.8 apg
    Green gets 4.0 apg

They are sharing the same role....

DD

18. studogg

The majority of the PG is handled by KPJ. Green occasionally brings the ball up court and initiates. He's flashed as a much better playmaker when doing so as his speed is unreal and he has better vision consistently.

clutchdabear and duluth111222 like this.
  19. DaDakota

Maybe that is the difference I consider him 2 years in and ignore his time in Cleveland - he has turned his life around in the last 2 years, has been starting for 14 months and to me is making major progress.

He isn't my favorite player, I just think people are bullying or being hypocritical about him and not holding others to the same standard.....if by say 24 he is not better at ball handling or more efficient, I will expect the org to move on.

RIght now though we have 2 very similar in production Scoring guards, in Green and KPJ and they are both struggling with turnovers but I see them both getting better.

As for HERO ball- I HATE IT - but that is what he is being asked to run by Silas so I don't blame him, I would love to see our entire team with a significant structure like Rick Adelman ran, but alas that isn't happening so just enjoying the incremental improvements from all our players.

For the RECORD my favorite player on the current team is Eason.

DD

20. maypk

maypk Member

You can call KPJ whatever you want to justify his role in this team but it doesn't change the fact that he can't (and won't) provide playmaking from pg position that any NBA team desperately needs for success.

clutchdabear likes this.