1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPjr Total - points/assists/rebounds - 28 OVER or UNDER?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see these numbers with him reining it in. I mean he can average 20 a night...but, that's probably not what we need from him at the moment. And, there ARE more mouths to feed.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

His season high for assists last year was 12 and that happened 3 times. Now he's going to average 12 a game?

Sure. Sounds reasonable.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

*I expect all this, and possibly more on the offensive side of the ball this year. (Wood's absence DOES mean a lot)

And, I'm POSITIVE, this kid will continue his strong defensive play. He's really on his way to becoming a beast on that side.

4. aelliott

Porter 's numbers aren't the most important thing. The biggest factors are going to be his efficiency and turnovers. He's going into his 4th season and if he's going to have the ball in his hands this much he's going to have to be much more efficient. His career best ts% is .535 and that was his rookie year. Putting up Westbrook-like efficiency on 13 or 14 shots per game isn't going to fly with our improved talent. He's got to be better.

Likewise, he's got to improve his ast/to ratio if he's going to be the guy running the offense. He at least needs to be middle of the pack among teams primary ball handlers.

I'm interested to see how much we try to run the offense through Sengun now that he's going to presumably be getting the bulk of the minutes at the center position.

Rashmon, fattz, smoothie and 2 others like this.
  5. Rockets4Life13

OVER
    PTS/AST/REB
    17/7/5

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

More scoring in the starting lineup.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

not only that, but I'm ok with him being a little bit of our mad max or Ron artest, personality wise (obviously not the same play-style). as long as he doesn't drive him at half time again. not even those guys did that. reign it in a little but leave just enough to scare off opponents.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Hopefully we trade him

cheke64 likes this.
  9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lol. Porter is not making or breaking the rebuild. That's Green and Smith.

BallSoHarden and burlesk like this.
  10. aelliott

CP3 led the NBA last year at 10.8 assists per game. So, Porter is going to pretty much double his assists and be that much better than CP3? Nobody's averaged 12 assists per game since Stockton did it in '95. Not going to happen.

If they can be effective running the offense through Sengun, there's some real benefits in addition to the fact that he's the best passer on the team. If you put 4 shooters around Sengun, then it makes it very difficult for opponents to keep a big in the paint to contest drives. If Sengun is in the game and the offense isn't running through him, then his man is going to be dropping into the paint to contest drives. If a Sengun-centric offense proves to be effective, there's a chance that Porter's assist numbers actually go down. Either way, he's not going to average 12 assists per game.

BTW, is there more scoring in the starting lineup? a) we don't know what the starting lineup will be. b) Sengun is replacing Wood but likely won't put up the same scoring numbers.

burlesk, D-rock and leebigez like this.
  11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If Porter Jr. is shooting the ball as much as he did last year, the team is going to be just as bad. He's a guy who needs severe limitations much like Steve Francis. His ability doesn't equate to wins.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Last time other than the Harden/CP3 first year was when we got Ron Artest.

[​IMG]

This team was LOADED and if they actually had a healthy Yao and Mac I firmly...STRONGLY believe they win the championship.

They were demolishing the eventual champs with just Yao and Artest and the gang and if Yao never gets hurt (and basically hurt for good) I'm not sure who stops that team if they were healthy.

It was really a culmination of the Yao-Mac era and its just a shame that it ended in injuries but expected I guess.

And I still miss Adelman as coach...

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mathews will love Jabari too.

No longer will teams shade him tight when clock runs down.

The ball will go to Jabari in those situations but Mathews will see a helluva lot more wide open looks than he had last season.

burlesk and smoothie like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I disagree.

You're assuming KPJ doesnt add something else to his bag or improve offensive/defensive efficiency in yet another area.

Precedence proves he will continue to develop and enhance his skills.

burlesk likes this.
  15. fattz

fattz Member

Every player’s success comes from the coaching and talent around them. Porter will be placed in a perfect storm
    A ) hard to double him because of Green
    B ) more shooting around him giving places to go with the ball (spacing) and places pass to with positive finish (assists)
    C ) more team players (ball movement) not only catch and shoot (one of the best in the league) but cutting and finishing at the rim (scoring)
    D ) lesser role in the half court because this is where Sengun excelled last year. Less mentally to deal with
    E ) Defense will improve with the new personal
    F ) better team rebounding leading to fast breaks (Wood bring it up addition by subtraction) faster pace
    G ) he is in a contract year
    H ) team as a whole is more mature with Wood’s absence
    I ) he has Silas’s trust
    J ) Silas should start coaching this year
    K ) he can play multiple positions giving other teammates opportunities to play with him and to their strengths
    L ) he and team should find success which will make more success
    M ) his personal goal should be MIP, in a contract year don’t get much better than that. I think he can do it.

so yeh I have high hopes for Porter

burlesk, Plowman and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

It shouldn't be on Silas, he's already shown in 2 seasons he is incapable of doing this.

Definition of insanity and all that.

Patrick and Stone need to bring in a proven defensive assistant. Hopefully a switch expert.

17. maj21

maj21 Member

Y’all really sleeping on KPJ. I know he’s gonna get even more hate now that wood is gone. He has a chance to be really special and is working his tail off to get better. He’s messed up in the past many times, but maybe he’s turning the corner. We need to be positive and be behind him as a fan base.

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I imagine the lineup would be
    KPJ
    Green
    Eason
    Smith
    Sengun
    The extra scoring won't be right away. I'm thinking more after allstar break.
    Even if KPJ ends up with 23/ 8 it will still be good. I just think he can average double doubles with this kind of lineup in the future.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. another reason why I like jabari and Tari as the bigs in a closing lineup. the ability to switch everything and play 5-out will be tough to stop. especially with someone like Matthews out there for spacing. late clock, jalen and KPJ in that lineup will be at the rim at will.

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He's a blind pg, like Westbrook. His passes are off target, out of pocket most times. He's a sg trying to play pg,but he's not a good shooter, but he can improve that. My issue is his body language after bad plays. Its hard to lead when you have bad body language after bad plays and not getting back.