1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPjr has more to do with us winning games RIGHT NOW than anyone on the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta admit, I do love how much the toxic Jalen Green fanbase hates KPJ. The more they irrationally hate him, the more I like him.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

incredible…clearly the key to winning

3. PatBev

PatBev Member

They’d rather loose than Porter have a good game & then when we lose, they’ll blame Porter lol

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I remember when a KPJr fanboi told me before the season that KPJr and Green would be nowhere close as scorers, KPJr is way better…turns out Jalen Green has already surpassed him midway through his rookie season

5. Nook

Nook Member

I don't disagree with you, I am only saying that I don't think the 7 game win streak makes a huge difference in the long term view of Porter or the organization. I think as long as Porter doesn't get in trouble and continues to give good effort, he will get an opportunity to play a lot of minutes the rest of this season and depending on how that goes, it will greatly impact what happens going forward.

Also the future of Porter in Houston will partially depend on the draft. Right now there is like a 20% chance that Jaden Ivey is drafted by the Rockets. If he joins the Rockets, that likely changes the long term outlook for Porter because Ivey would become the point guard.

Deckard, jcmoon, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much, yeah.

Of course, that's all player only fans.

We've been through this before with Lin fans.....it'll get even worse if the Rockets manage to land their franchise player in the upcoming draft.

7. PatBev

PatBev Member

Even better we can have a point guard in Jaden, point forward in Porter, and point center in Sengun

We would also probably be able to have two of three on the floor at all times when needed between Jaden/Green/KPJ

Question is would Porter be able to accept moving to a point forward role and not be the dominant ball handler

Nook likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

KPJ like any other NBA player needs to learn how to shoot to stay relevant long term. I think he has a good feel for the game but it would open up a lot if he could shoot at a decent clip. His motion isn't ugly so I think he could shoot better. Maybe get a little less vertical lift while shooting like harden does to be more consistent.

jcmoon likes this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Never mind — misread

10. PatBev

PatBev Member

When did I say move Jalen to PG? I’m talking about Jaden Ivey in the up coming drafter who is a point guard

Nook likes this.
  11. Houston77

Supporting Member

Oops, disregard! My apologies.

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

beardsanity713, Deckard, xaos and 4 others like this.
  13. Houston77

Supporting Member

After rereading, I completely agree with your analysis haha.

14. PatBev

PatBev Member

Haha you’re good. Should’ve stuck with last names

15. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

HNY ALL - Been a long time since I have posted.

Kid is still only 21 (May 2000)

He STILL has some maturing to do. I would hate to give up on him now. Hopefully CWood is out the door and that fixes some of the team disfunction. I hope Houston does right by EGo even though he was often injured and trade him to a contender.

Continue to focus on nurturing that KPJ/Green backcourt.

I am also OK playing Wall the remainder of the season. Would be a good audition for another team. Just being optimistic here, I KNOW there is no way in hell anyone takes that contract. It just continues to get worse and worse each year.

Rafa is building himself a nice little core. (Green>Tate>Segun>hopefully Porter!)

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The most worrisome thing about Porter isn't his game but his emotional stability.

I am encouraged by his improvement on defense. His offense is still a long way to go as a PG. Some people think he is better suited at the 3. Whatever, if his shooting doesn't improve, it doesn't really matter what position he plays. And of course, if he can't control his temper, he will be out of the league, not just the Rockets, soon.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not pledge allegiance to him so just follow the situation as it unfolds.

Easy likes this.
  18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Same here. I fear you have to babysit him all the time. Next time coach is a little harsh to him, he may lose his temper and do something stupid again. I don’t think I can trust this kind of players.

Easy likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This might be just me but I really don't care about his emotional stability. If KPJ can shoot 40% from 3, and make all his damn layups, I don't really care if he throws temper tantrums.

Right now he is lacking in all scoring departments, from Free throws, to mid range, to finishing layups, to 3 pointers. the only things he has going for him are ball handling, shiftiness and some athletic ability on fast breaks.

I also don't think it's the PG position that is making him shoot so badly. Even if we switched him to the 3, will it make him make all of his jump shots and free throws?

Dopamine likes this.
  20. Dopamine

Dopamine Member

I agree that his efficiency & playmaking needs MAJOR improvement, even most centers are shooting better than 60% from the FT, that is absolutely abysmal! & 36% Fg is also just as putrid, couple that with his AST/TO ratio (1.48) & you got possibly the worst starting PG in the league in terms of offense.

He's definitely better suited as a 3, where he can utilize his athleticism & speed & focus more on scoring & rebounding/defense rather than having the responsibility of running the offense. It's no wonder why he statistically had his best season in CLE his rookie season as a 3. The sooner the management realizes this kid is not a PG, the sooner our team & his game will improve. If anything let him do some playmaking as a combo guard but his primary postion should be a SF.