1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

KPjr has more to do with us winning games RIGHT NOW than anyone on the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 6, 2022.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I think he can be valuable as a 3 instead, because he actually has a lot of tools to be a great defender. I feel like the Rockets are trying way too hard to put him at PG and it's hurting his development because he won't learn the correct skill set and playstyle of a 3, which is being less ball dominant and taking spot up shooting positions.

Yung-T, Deckard, aaquaa and 3 others like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm feeling more of a Westbrook thing with him right now man...he can win you games but can also lose you games.

I'm fine with keeping him on the roster as of now because I think he has potential and there isn't much we can do with him right now but trade him at low value, but I hope we get a legit PG next season (even if it means signing a Rubio like vet) and put him and Green at 2 and 3 and see how it works out.

I just don't know if he has those PG instincts or if he's capable of developing that. Think he's a lot more comfy if he's just focused on scoring and defending.

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

The unmitigated nerve to use more than one sentence in this ridiculous hypothesis...

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Deckard, JayGoogle, apollo33 and 3 others like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

What I want to know is where was this EG at when we were good?

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with your thread title is the "winning games" part. I think you meant, "winning the first game in a long while"

aaquaa, JayGoogle, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  7. alethios

alethios Member

Maybe he's having more fun now.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think Porter can be a solid SF with his defense and handles going to the basket. If we can get Simmons at the Point Guard position we would be solid:

Simmons-Green-Porter would be crazy!!!!

9. 34to11

34to11 Member

This.

I see Jamal Crawford 2.0

napalm06 likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I LIKE KPJ's game, but one thing will always come to mind:

tick, tick, tick, tick....

xaos and aaquaa like this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ is an absolutely dreadful SF. His most interesting talent is controlling tempo.

Nook likes this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Highly, disagree. Both QBs and PGs have the ball in their hands 95% - 100% of the time, so it's a matter of being able to make quick decisions.

Also, Sengun has the ball in set positions so it's easier to make a play when you're set. In no way am downplaying what he has done. I love his potential but you can't compare what Sengun does once or twice a game to what KPJ has to do every time down the floor.

It's more than just a flashy play here and there. It's about being consistent, making the right play, getting others involved, getting your points, communicating with the coach.....it's a lot on a young kids plate

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I might be wrong, but I believe we're 7-3 in the last 10 with him starting.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Even though I love his story, and his first name. I just don’t see him being a corner stone point guard for the rockets in the future

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps but it's probably not the best thread after snapping a 7 game losing streak.

It's hard to say what he will become. He turns the ball over way too much against the assists he generates. He shows flashes of brilliances, and flashes of cluelessness. I am not sure he is a star, but he does seem to be a strong role player. So I just think it's hard to say. He's a young, talented player with issues.

He has to improve his offensive game and improve his outside range from the low 30 percent to at least the mid. He has to protect the ball better. And he's going to have to become a great defensive player. That's his path to being the starting point guard next to a Jalen Green.

aaquaa and Plowman like this.
  16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I'm just not seeing it, he has some talent, just seems inconsistent and not someone I would trust as a starter. Watching this team over the last two years, there is a lot of fools gold on this roster. CW is in that category, KPJ I am not sure of yet, but in a year or two he may be in that same category. It is either that or we just have an awful coach and the talent is not going to ever become anything due to that.

aaquaa likes this.
  17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Crawford's a way more talented scorer than KPJ.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Close. We're 6-4 in his last 10 starts. Of course in his 11 starts prior to those 10 we were winless. So, 6-15 in the last 21 games. 1-3 since coming back from injury.

Overall for the season, we're 7-16 with him starting. We're also 4-12 with him not playing.

When you're losing 72% of your games, nobody really has much to do with winning. I think playing bad teams or ones missing lots of their best players effects winning more than any single player does. 11 total wins - 3 vs OKC. Wins against Det, Orl, NOP and Was. Win against Brooklyn with Durant, Kyrie, Aldridge and Joe Harris out.

8 out of our 11 wins were against bad teams ( at that time). Lots of guys played better in those wins:

Wood 19.5 pts/ 50.9 fg%, 41.2 3 pt%, 60.2 TS% in wins. - 15.8 pts, 45.5 fg%, 30.4 3pt%, 53.3 TS% in losses

Gordon 19.1 pts, 53.4 FG%, 54 3PT%, 69.1 TS% in wins - 12.5 pts, 45.9 FG%, 41.3 3pt%, 58.9 TS% in losses

Porter 13.3 pts, 34 FG%, 36.4 3PT%, 45.6 TS% in wins - 12.3 pts, 36.7% FG%, 31.8 3 pt%, 47.0 TS% in losses

Tate 14.7 pts, 52.8 FG%, 34.4 3pt%, 60.7 TS% in wins - 11.5 pts,46.8% FG%, 26.5 3pt%, 53.6% TS% in losses

Mathews 13.9 pts, 47.8 FG%, 41.3 3pt%, 68.1 TS% in wins - 10.0, 37.1 FG%, 33.3 3pt%, 57.0 TS%

Gordon seems to have the most variance in wins vs losses. Wood, Tate and Mathews also are much better in the wins.

Looking at the numbers, we've shot the ball very well in the games that we've won. Of course, it's easier to shoot well when the games in question are against teams like OKC, Orlando, Det, NOP, etc..

harold bingo, Yung-T, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm actually really impressed by his overall defense and rebounding this year. His effort and IQ on that end has been really good and consistent.

I am not impressed however at his offensive talent. There's a lot of things that are wrong with the way he plays on offense and i don't actually see that much improvement from last year. There's a lot of simple things he still can't do right, like driving straight for a layup, instead he is always contorting his body every ways possible and throwing it at the hoop. It's the simple things that Green has learnt to do in 20 games.

alethios and aaquaa like this.
  20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

CW is the only player on the team averaging double figures in 2 categories while keeping turnovers low. He is no superstar but saying he does not do little things or does not have any impact on winning games, however paltry our record may be, is far-fetched just to make a bandwagon point about KPJ after one buzzer-beater.