1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPjr has more to do with us winning games RIGHT NOW than anyone on the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 6, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Plowman is a good dude, he tries hard to increase KPJ's trade value.

Milos, Richie_Rich, Yung-T and 8 others like this.
  2. anchel

anchel Member

Relax, he's a scoring guard who scores 12.6 per game with a 36% in FGs. He has long ways to go. Right now he is a minus on the court.

Potential is there, but we'll see.

aaquaa, awc713 and tehG l i d e like this.
  3. HeyBudLetsParty

Shooting splits are abysmal, if he was decently efficient he could be star level. If not they should move him to the 3 or try to be a combo guard off the bench, luckily he’ll have the rest of the season to figure out the PG position

Richie_Rich, aaquaa, Nook and 5 others like this.
  4. vator

vator Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  5. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Naw. This ain’t it.

Dobbizzle and tehG l i d e like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Scooter has more heart than most of the team. 100 games into his career and juggling the most difficult position swap and I agree with @Plowman His stat lines don’t encapsulate everything he does to contribute. He will continue to mature and play better. People are looking for something to dislike and the kid hasnt done himself any good by lashing out, but he’s got the it factor. Just need to be patient.

7. a time to chill

He's improving but I wouldn't go that far. Best thing you can say about KPJ right now is that the team improves defensively when he's on the floor. He's better than half the other point guards in the league at getting steals, rebounds, and blocks. His field goal percentage and free throw shooting doesn't meet the benchmark for NBA PGs, but his 3 point shooting and assist numbers are improving.

Right now there is no "THE GUY" player on the Rockets like we had with Harden which is why we suck right now. We hope it's Jalen but until he develops into that role the few wins we come by are truly team efforts.

Roxfan4lyfe, tehG l i d e and Plowman like this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Happy New Year!

xaos, daywalker02 and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

EG is having one of the best seasons of his career. I know he plays less minutes than KPJ, but Gordon still gets my vote.

Richie_Rich, Emtenndo, jcmoon and 6 others like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I need to attend your seminar on Zen chillness and positive vibes.

Corrosion and Plowman like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Totally. 45.6% from 3 in 30 somewhat games.

jcmoon and No Worries like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He should....HE'S THE PG!

aaquaa and Plowman like this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's doing EXTREMELY well.

Think of it like this, a QB who never played QB in college or his 1st yr in the NFL but all of a sudden he's thrust into playing QB in the NFL, because he can throw.....it's going to take time. He needs to learn the intricacies.

Next yr will be a better indicator

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I really wish we could get him the hell out of here before that number dips. Gordon ALWAYS has a really bad month where his shooting numbers dip.

Milos, BHannes2BHonest, fattz and 3 others like this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Give the kid a consistent rotation of players with a center who can actually catch a bounce pass in the post without fumbling it, and you will see a a top 15 pg(top 5 two-way point)

We started the kid with a rotation of Theis/Wood, rookies, g league players, Nwaba, and House lol

Wtf did you expect him to do with that mess the first 15games

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Did you see the way he was driving after halftime of the Denver game?

It was like nobody wanted to get in front of him

Dopamine, vator and J.R. like this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

KPJ can be is a wing with great potential, if he can keep his head screwed on tight. What he isn't, in my opinion, is a point guard. Oh, he'll have games here and there where he'll rack up some assists, but he doesn't control the offense. When he attempts to, more often than not he looks awkward as hell. Porter can be a very valuable member of a team's rotation, even a team's 6th man, but he is not, in my opinion, who we need playing next to Jalen Green and with Alpi Sengun. The two players who are our future, along with possibly some other young talent we have.

Hey, I would love to be wrong, but KPJ is as much a distraction on the court as he is a point running our offense, in my opinion. Maybe more of the former.

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porteke02.html

Interesting look at his Rockets stats, 23 games started last year and this year. His shooting has suffered but I think the note is that this year he's been more the focus of defenses. John Wall isn't playing so he's not drawing attention, Porter isn't the secondary option.

I believe he'll get there though. Shoot a little better, improve the assist/turnover ratio a bit and he's probably one of the best 23u players in the league. He's just young.

NewAge, Plowman and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Football positions are so vastly different.

Basketball is more interlinked as far as players skill sets.

Not really comparable.

I just don't see the skill set or IQ that I'd like to see from a starting pg.

Like Harden....it was easy to see him as a pg because even in his early days you could see the passing and IQ.

Like how many times this year has kpj wowed you with a really good pass? Either degree of difficulty or the IQ it took to read the D and make that pass?

Sengun does this almost every time he plays.

And if passing and leading the offense aren't going to be strong suits he needs to be a very good defender and a very good scorer/shooter.

His physical attributes against most other pgs makes him a plus defender...usually.
    But he needs to work on his shooting and scoring.

I don't see it with him at pg, and really I don't trust that he won't have more incidents in the future.

Yung-T, xaos, aaquaa and 1 other person like this.