1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPjr has more to do with us winning games RIGHT NOW than anyone on the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He got skills but he’s just not a team good basketball player. He doesn’t have any flow or feel for the game. Silas and his boys(Wood & KPJ) need to go. None of the above have basketball IQ.

jcmoon, aaquaa, Tmac1Yao11 and 3 others like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think Porter would be better RIGHT NOW - if he were playing off the ball, but the org is trying to see if he can play PG - and he is improving, his turnovers have come down and his assists are up, but his shooting is putrid......not sure if they are committed all year, but if so, gonna be a long long long season.

At some point you may want to give Christopher or Nix a look there. Not Green, he has 2.1 assists to 2.4 turnovers that would be even worse.

DD

jcmoon likes this.
  3. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I’m ready to move on from KPJ. I’m all for giving chances to guys who didn’t work out in other situations but I’ve seen enough. I don’t see any particular skill/attribute that he has at a high enough level to warrant the amount of playing time and responsibility we have given him.

KPJ has the shake-n-bake moves but it amounts to nothing since he’s a poor shooter and a poor finisher at the rim. He has a little bit of Steve Francis in him in the sense that he doesn’t drive all the way to the rim when he has his defender leaning the wrong way; he’ll pull it back and dance some more unnecessarily (not to mention the fact that his handles are flashy, but shaky). Contrast that to Jalen Green or Jaygup who consistently get into the paint on their drives.

I truly don’t know what role he would play on a good team.

Jaygup has shown enough to warrant more time. I would like to see him play PG with Jalen at SG more often. He makes mistakes like any young player but he has a flashes of skills that can be built upon; he has shown a proficiency for catch-and-shoot 3’s, he can finish at the rim, he pushes the pace on offense, he plays hard, he actually makes the pass to the corner when the paint is walled off.

4. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

just looking at assists/turnovers doesn't tell the whole story. kpj doesn't make passes that actually give his teammates an easy scoring opportunity. a lot of times, the assists are of the "i dribbled too much but i need someone to bail me out" variety. he never hits his guy in rhythm, never gets the pass into the shooter's pocket accurately and it's always a second or two too late. nothing he does makes the offense flow better.

if we put EG in the same role as kpj, he'd have just as many assists and likely less turnovers... and EG has never been a good facilitator.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Christian Wood and KPJ both have this issue where their box score stats sometimes look good, but when you watch them play and they honestly look terrible.

It kind of coincidences with the fact that this team gets completely blown out by the 1st quarter.

It's hard to put a finger on it, but other than poor attitudes and defense, the ball is so sticky with Wood and KPJ.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

When have KPj's stats looked good, he has been pretty pathetic lately, especially shooting......the box score certainly does not tell it all, especially on defense where the team basically all suck.

DD

aaquaa, jcmoon and Believe It! like this.
  7. anamah

anamah Member

9points a game?

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I said they sometimes look good, like his assists today were some of the most empty assists I have seen in a while.

It did not look like he was doing much playmaking.

Frankly this isn't his fault, his playmaking would be a strength if he was a 3, not a 1.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am over him, doesn't look like he will pan out.

I think we should move JC into starting spot.

jcmoon, Tmac1Yao11 and vator like this.
  10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Is he really 6'6"? He looks the same as Green who is 6'4" - I don't think that is tall enough to play SF...would be nice to have 6'8" there.

DD

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Isn't he 6'6" actually? Decent height for a 3? Unless that's a false report...

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Would it be worse than 1.3 TO to 0.9 assists? Guess who has that. Guess

Honestly I'd say you're smart enough to work out that guys like Green & Christopher who aren't allowed to pound the ball into the toilet and orcehestrate the offense at their leisure like KPJ are going to necessarily have a different a/to ratio (fewer opportunities for either) but after tonight -

nope, you can't teach an old dog like you any new tricks.

BonziWellsGOAT and RudyTBag like this.
  13. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Josh Chris and KJ Martin are freaking studs.

jcmoon likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rough night for our guy... Rough week, rough month, rough season, rough career.

He has to drastically improve in the coming weeks, or we need to say goodbye. I say this with great affection and hope that he can put it all together here, but it is looking grim.

Silas needs to have a "6th man" talk with him, so we can try out PGs of other styles. We have a pass-first, true PG guy in Nix that we could play around with, and we wouldn't lose any size. I'd like to see more creativity with lineups when we are losing this badly.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

kPJ is in his own head now, he's hesitating on his hesitations, he really don't know when to put up shots anymore and just defaults on step back 3's.

Maybe switch some of the play making to Gordon

RudyTBag, Believe It! and burlesk like this.
  16. vator

vator Contributing Member

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I concur with that.

DD

jcmoon and Believe It! like this.
  18. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Honestly,i dont see how KPJ and JG co-exist...we need a pass first pg that knows how to run an offense...kpj is not that...Additionally, Silas' offensive system doesnt put JG in a position to succeed, keeping him away in the corner waiting for the ball is the worst possible scenario for a rookie to develop...

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

He is so in his head that he is shooting Shaq percentages from the free-throw line. How I wish the switch could be flipped.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

One thing we can all agree on. Make a mistake, sprint the F back on D for Darwin's sake.

jcmoon likes this.