1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ Doesn't Fit.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Nov 17, 2022.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

True bballrefs SOS only factors opponent win%, but there are other SOS calculations that do include home or away.

https://www.nbastuffer.com/2022-2023-nba-team-stats/ has us as the 6th toughest so far and 7th toughest remaining schedule. So its possible our schedule might not be getting as easy as some hope.

No doubt the schedule has been really tough, but I think it’s a bit of an exaggeration to say that it’s the toughest stretch of games someone has ever seen.

2. HookemHorns1250

At point? No, he's not a great fit IMO. As a wing? I think his potential is huge. He's already proven hes an excellent catch and shoot 3 point shooter. When players rush to close out he can use his athleticism to drive if need be.

However, the big catch is will he be willing to just be a wing player. Right now he's getting what...14-15 shots a game? What happens if it goes down to 8-9? I think he can still be a positive for this team, I just don't like him at point is all. However, I would love to be proven wrong.

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I can't really imagine that to be true on this board. We are not teenagers.

I'll be happy if he just stops taking highly contested, off balance 2pt shots and move the ball. I am not asking for assists or pts. Get your ball movement straight and build on top of that. And focus more, both on d and o, but this could be said to many players on the team, so not just on him.

ramotadab and saleem like this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Honestly if his handle were tighter there would be very little to complain about. He does so many things very, very well.

And the truth is, Jalen will surpass him and be the lead guard at some point. When JG is ready for the ultra usage rate having a guy like Porter with a ton of experience, who easily fits next to Jalen, who does so many things well is going to be a godsend.

jiggyfly, ramotadab and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Rush to judgment? “Bryan” is in his 4th year. How long you want to give the man?

6. Nook

Nook Member

Green is in his 2nd year, Porter is in his 4th year. If Green is playing like Porter is, two years from now, you will see plenty of pissed off fans.

slothy420, King1, Richie_Rich and 7 others like this.
  7. MystikArkitect

A lot of Green's issues stem from inexperience and reps. KPjs issues stem from outright inability. He can't do what he isn't capable of doing. More time isn't going to change that in a 4th year player.

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

HE IS IN HIS 4TH SEASON. SAY IT WITH ME

rhee and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you look at adjusted SOS which factors in home, rest etc, i think they were 1st overall according to one of Mondays power rankings

Corrosion and flamingdts like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

what system?

…but seriously move him to the 2. He’s great at catch & shoot, and he’s good off the dribble, attacking the rim. Court vision is not there, not a good decision-maker or facilitator. Please, stop running him out there at the point guard spot.

#70 Aruba77, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  11. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I just feel like if we got another coach and we limited his touches or usages I can see him getting upset. He is so used to always having the ball.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are you saying that the mystery is that there is no mystery? Sounds like it to me!

#72 Deckard, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    SamFisher likes this.
  13. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

There's a difference when when KPJ is out the offense flows and everyone touches the ball.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  14. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

There is a reason why KPJ Contract is the way it is, they aren't fully bought into KPJ.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  15. Aruba77

which is why now in year 3 of a failed experiment trying to turn him into a point guard, and hurting the team in the process, perhaps we should consider giving him minutes at his natural position. Sorry to keep harping on this, but I think KPJ can be an excellent player for the rockets. But I’ve never seen a team be so stubborn trying to make something work which is obviously not working and obviously undermining the development of other really important young players…including our franchise player and the #3 pick from last year. I just don’t get it.

slothy420, King1, ramotadab and 2 others like this.
  16. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

But do you really believe he will accept a new role with a lower usage? If he does I'm all for it. KPJ off ball would be a dream. But I'm sure he will be disengaged

17. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Seem like they been trying to give Jalen more PG duties recently. I just hope KPJ doesn't throw a fit when JG gets a much larger role with the team.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  18. Aruba77

Frankly, given the lack of risk in his contract, I don’t really care. everyone else on the team has a really good attitude. The only person who can control KPJ’s attitude is him. I think he’s one of our best players so I think we should give him starters minutes, but whether that’s off the bench or switching him and Green in the back court, I think we’ve reached a point where one of those two things has to happen.

It will be better for KPJ (and more importantly…the team) in the long run. And if that puts him off he was never gonna make it anyway.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Would be nice to find a way to get him more catch and shoot 3 point attempts.

Last year
    48.2% but only 1.9 attempts per game

This year
    50.0% but only 1.3 attempts per game

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They have - Iko just posted an article on it:.

“He knows,” Silas said of Green’s mindset following Houston’s 101-92 win over Dallas. “When Kevin comes out and he’s out there with the second unit, he knows that he’s going to get a few play calls and he’s the one who is the guy at that point. I don’t have to have that conversation with him.”
    https://theathletic.com/3907185/2022/11/17/jalen-green-rockets-mavericks/

ramotadab and ThatboyPhuong like this.