1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ Doesn't Fit.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Nov 17, 2022.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

His role on this team needs to change, but it's as if management is too afraid to let him know his role will change since it can send him on a mental downward spiral. I think it's a little ridiculous and need to move on from the experiment. I was 100% on board and glad we tried it but damn let's go ahead admit failure and trade for an actual PG.

Easy and clutchdabear like this.
  2. txtodd

txtodd Member

Another KPJ thread doesn't fit

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Micro hate. People over analyze him cause they don’t like him, Green makes similar mistakes but people don’t b**** about them cause they like him.

DD

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thanks to our pals over on Reddit for this one!

[​IMG]

ApacheWarrior, Bo6, alethios and 3 others like this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

If he was the son of Tillman other organization would report tampering charges with the special treatment he has received thus far. It’s unprecedented how much he has received.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that's really my biggest problem with it, with player first or player only fans it'll always be a double standard I just wish they were a bit smarter about it.... that they'd at least attempt to hide the ridiculousness of it all. They should at least pretend to have some level of credibility.

jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

What a joke.

The org is protecting it's asset and helping him become the best player he can be. Why? Because it benefits the Rockets.

KPJ can be better, no doubt, but so can all the player, but he gets a great amount of hate, because people just don't like him.....I decided to chart shots without bias, a good shot is a good shot, even if I don't like it.....and guess what, it proved exactly what I thought - he takes primarily good shots.....and a few boneheaded ones.....and so does everyone.

Yet, KPJ gets hate for it.......or for turnovers, which Green has a bunch of as well, but his are ok....right?

We are just young, guys make mistakes, he is learning a new position - we are hoping to become a Klay and Curry backcourt, or similar.....

Wouldn't that be great?

Well some of you would still be b****ing, but the majority would just enjoy the show.

DD

Dobbizzle, Bo6 and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

As someone else said he’s like the PG version of Wood. Fills up the stat sheet but the offense just doesn’t flow well when he’s dominating the ball and turning it over.

Sometimes he makes a great pass, a dagger 3, an improbable layup or a great defensive play. But most of the time the offense looks disjointed, lacks cohesion and everything seems difficult. Defense is the same.

Easy, slothy420, clutchdabear and 3 others like this.
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I've been a KPJ advocate for years now, but I'm coming to grips with his limitations. It's his fourth season and he's gotten his extension, but he's regressing in many ways. Most of our rotation is made up of sophomores or rookies, yet he is showing less poise than them. At 51.5 TS% he's less efficient than everyone other than Jabari. He leads the league in turnovers. I have no problem with a shoot first PG, but his style of play this season is most reminiscent of Ricky Davis in Cleveland.

He may have raw stats, but the advanced stats are subpar to say the least. I'd like him to focus on improving at least one of his weaknesses, either turnovers or shot selection. In the preseason it looked like we were working on his PNR lob threat with Fernando and drive and kicks, but now that the season's started it whatever goes and his AST/TO ratio reflects that. His shot selection has been terrible and his career lows in FG% and TS% reflect that too. He started awfully last season and turned it around so I have hope that he can do it again, but it's his fourth season so it's discouraging to see him off to another slow start.

10. Risingred

Risingred Member

He doesn't fit as a PG, but he's a good SF maybe a sixth man. He is one of the best catch and shoot guys in the league; unfortunately he has tunnel vision and low basketball IQ which makes him unfit as a starting PG. He'll shine if we have a true PG, but we don't.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He's played approximately 75 games (not even a full season) as a full time PG. Essentially he's a rookie PG coming to the end of his first season. I think that matters and we should start to see improvements and consistency.

jiggyfly, fattz and DaDakota like this.
  12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He is a SG, that is what he primarily is.....but we don't have a PG, so he is playing that role and playing it inconsistently at best.

DD

Bo6, King1 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He played PG last year as well. Would you say he's playing better or worse than last season?

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Well because if you look at Jalens total work then you see the reason why. In order to defend KPJ you have to cherry pick. KPJ leads the league in turnovers that conversation on why people dont think he should be a point guard should end there. Its basic common sense.

King1, clutchdabear and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Spin spin spin! Amazing how you don't get dizzy with the constant spinning to defend KPJ and deflect for him. First, KPJ is a veteran in his 4th season not someone starting his sophomore season. Second, way to just dismiss all the vitriol Green got less than half a season into his rookie year. Third, Green has shown huge improvements in almost all aspects INCLUDING playmaking. In comparison, KPJ might as well be stuck in mud.

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Please stop saying this. Enough with the rookie crap its his 4th season. You guys will be making excuses for him for the next 5 years. This is how the Knicks became the Knicks. Hanging on and overating players that they shouldnt have. This is how they just missed out on Donovan Mitchell. Rockets will be the next Knicks or Kings.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

4 years lol, that would mean over 300 games under his belt not 75 LOL!!!

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Porter is also in his 4th season. He's far from being in his first or second year, unlike a large number of our players, who make up the 2nd youngest team in the league despite the presence of a couple of "elderly" NBA vets. He doesn't fit at all as our starting point guard and, in my opinion, he also doesn't fit coming off the bench as a one given the task of running our offense, assuming we have an offense that can be categorized.

In other words, Porter doesn't fit in the role he has been given. I'll add that I'm more than a little skeptical that he will accept a much lesser role as an off-guard/wing coming off the bench. Fair warning...therein lies potential chaos.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nah. OP is getting it backward. The whole team don't fit KPJ.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I think worse, but a lot of that is due to the fact we don't have an elite finisher like Christian Wood in there for easy ones.......

The whole team is actually worse....for some reason.

DD