1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But they are missing the fact that players improve on that over time, most anyway, he and Jalen are very close in their consistency.

DD

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

But he hasn’t improved AT ALL in four years though. He STILL has shown nothing to show that there’s any potential for him to improve

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I was thinking KPJ reminds me a lot of Wiggins. Is it terrible that it took Wiggins a long time to find his place in the NBA after spending the beginning of his career on teams that couldn't stop losing? No I think it's fine. It will take KPJ time and there's nothing wrong with that. A veteran team like the Lakers could use him and he'd play defense and he'd cede to Lebron and AD as the leaders. They and Ham would keep him in check, he would develop well with fewer responsibilities.

Unfortunately this is not that team. His mistakes are magnified here because this team is so young it's all full of mistakes. It's not a really stable situation for him. I would say let's practice a little more patience. The schedule is easier the rest of the way and they've now had enough time to learn the offense and defense they need to learn. They've just won a few games and will feel a little more inspired to execute better offense and defense. They're only just starting to all get familiar with each other's games.

He's surprised me by playing good defense last season, he can surprise us again. Absolutely must cut out the mid range and floaters, he is f*cking terrible at those and he thinks they're very smooth.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Its not about it taking time or his mistakes. Its about his selfishness and style of play and also him playing out of position. Its about his mental issues and its most importantly how they use him. To continue with your Wiggins analogy, Wiggins was not being utilized properly until he got to GSW and even then he's surrounded by a couple of the greatest shooters ever who take attention away from him. KPJ was never expected to be WIggins so theres no bust talk. If KPJ were playing at the 3 and had the ball less there would be much less talk about him. People would probably be impressed because some expected him to be out of the league by now.

The issue with KPJ is that he has talent but its overblown by the coaching staff and It needs to be focused and organized properly. Unfortunately the Rockets arent equipped with the type of Head Coaching Talent that can do that. As long as KPJ plays out of position for this coach he will be an issue. He's just not a point guard.

clutchdabear and maypk like this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The issue with KPJ is that he is playing a role that relies on a skill set that happens to be his biggest weaknesses; decision making and BBIQ. These are fatal flaws for a playmaker. The underlying issue IMO is that he is just a poor decision maker overall. We have seen it both on and off the court for years now. KPJ just can’t be counted on to constantly make good decisions. He is hardly our only problem, but he is definitely not part of the solution either.

6. DaDakota

I will defend KPJ until I see him in a proper system......right now the roll the ball out there system is the problem.

DD

cmoak1982 and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say KPJ is a big part of the reason we don't see a system. KPJ too often is a one man show.

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What is he good at? What are his strengths? He sucks at offensive creation, sucks on defense, so what is he actually GOOD at?

9. maypk

maypk Member

Hats off to you sir. He can be a point guard the day fishes start flying.

10. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I can’t wait until he’s off this team.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. maypk

maypk Member

He's doing a good job with rebounding but that's about it.

12. maypk

maypk Member

Silas must go too. Otherwise he'll just invent new KPJs.

#1632 maypk, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Just saw this. Harden was drafted as a SG and OKC used him off the bench as a playmaker. People confuse a playmaker/facilitator with a PG. Sengun, Jokic and Dreymond Green are playmakers but they are not PG.

There are few true PG onnthe league today but more playmakers. The Warriors really dont have a PG. Curry is a shooting guard who can playmake but Dreymond facilitates most of their offense and the fact that the move without the ball son well, so a true PG is not needed.

jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Catch-and-shoot 3s. As soon as he dribbles or starts thinking about what to do, his percentage goes way down. But if he just catches and shoots it, he is actually very good at that.

Which is why he should be on the receiving end of Sengun being the main creator.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He gets a lot of rebounds, but often they are uncontested defensive rebounds when the opponents are already on the way back to their own basket. He sometimes snatches these out of the hands of his own teammates.

If you want to see someone getting contested rebounds, look at offensive rebounding stats. We actually have one of the best players in the entire NBA at that on our team. His name is Sengun. Alperen Sengun.

clutchdabear and Joe Rocket like this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's just semantic. Even though people are using "PG" to generalize KPJ's role, what is really at issue is that KPJ is being used as the primary play maker. Whatever you want to call his position. He is in fact the primary play maker in our system, and Silas continues to say that he wants KPJ to do even more of that. But KPJ sucks at doing that and has shown little improvement over more than a season.

17. maypk

maypk Member

Is it even possible to play more kpj isolations than we already do? lol

Joe Rocket likes this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Last year I woulda said 3 point shooting but he took a sharp dive at the one thing he was efficient at.

clutchdabear and maypk like this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Players who suck on defense and are only catch and shoot guys (unless they can really bend the defense coming off screens and stuff) are worthless

clutchdabear likes this.
  20. DaDakota

FRICKEN THANK YOU !!!!!!!

As I have said for nearly 2 years Jalen and KPJ are the same player.....both about the same production with a little different approach.

And, I said we would more than likely need to trade one of them - but I am willing to see over the next year and a half if we can develop them into the next Jordan and Harper.

DD