1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes zero sense to's are to's and Green gets 0 flack for his to's so just because he is an SG we just ignore them?

This is not even a swipe at Green I understand both are young players playing with a lot of other young guys so to's are part of the growing pains but its very telling that nobody discusses Greens to's.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So who is the HOF that KPJ is playing with?

And what team has Westbrook played on that was this devoid of talent?

Context and circumstances matter why don't you try using them.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Green turnovers aren't dumb as kpj. If u watch the games, u would often see folks curse him in the thread for the shtty ones he has done.

Plus green is a younger player who isnt even the point guard. Tos are tos sure but kpj is the one held to the higher standard bc he's the pg aka defacto conductor of the offense. U think it's unfair folks are mad that our pg turns over the ball?

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The potential problem with this is less "Who is his replacement" as all of our other guards currently are worse ball handlers and playmakers, due to the following:
    • Green - Inexperience as a player and never played the role before
    • Gordon - Crappy ball handler and even crappier playmaker, not part of future plans
    • Nix - Crappy in every possible measurable way
    • Jaygup - Plays selfishly and somehow has even worse tunnel vision than KPJ
    • TyTy - Our best bet, but inexperienced and just got sent down to G-League because Silas sucks
    With our backcourt being what it is, the responsibility basically fell into KPJ's lap as Silas is either too dumb or too garbage to pivot. With that being the case, the real question would be, "Which one of our less experienced players can potentially become good?" Actually, the real question is whether one believes KPJ can not only meet the asks of his current role, but exceed it. However, if you believe he can then you wouldn't be wondering about who we can groom to be the playmaker for the team from our backcourt personnel.

Personally, I believe Sengun should be our primary playmaker when Green is not ISOing. This will cut out the KPJ ISO show and pivot him to an off ball cutter who either gets the open shot or an easy path to the basket. thus removing decision making from the equation for him. That said, Sengun has his own issues and that is the fact that he is completely ineffectual outside of the post. His ability to roll as the roll man is also iffy given his lack of both lateral and vertical burst.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Looks like KPJ will keep doing what he is doing and Silas is mostly okay with it. I have no hope either of them will change. I don't see a reasonable exit strategy at this point, other than Silas being fired or acquiring another guard.

Benching KPJ will take some of the frustration at the beginning, but I don't think we'll be much better off anyway, for Silas will probably give ball-handling to Gordon, which is another bad scenario. There has been zero indication that Silas can find a solution to any problem.

I also have no trust in the coaching staff and the organization to properly handle benching kpj. They are like amateurs when it comes to this kind of stuff.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Bench him for who?

And if anyone deserves to be benched its Smith, so are we going to that as well.

So if we bench KPJ, what do you think happen? This team gets better?

Bottom line what is the point of benching KPJ how does that help the team or make anybody better?

7. daytripper

daytripper Member

He's pretty bad and I don't think he's helping in the development of Green either.

Rockets main priority this season needs to be developing Green, Sengun, Jabari. That's it. If some of these ancillary guys such as KPJ, Nix, etc need to be traded so be it. Suns and Cavs brought in somebody like Rubio to help bring along their youngsters and the Rockets have enough high end prospects they should be doing the same type of thing.

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The problem is Silas is not trying anything. He could have tried

1) Sengun from the high post
    2) green at pg
    3) more ball and off ball movement and less dependence on one player creating(which i think is the first thing to do)
    4) TyTy

The only things he tries at times are jc and gordon, who both are doing the same thing as kpj in their own style.

AroundTheWorld and clutchdabear like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are you forgetting or ignoring how much better a 3 pt shooter KPJ is than Westbrook?

Also until KPJ has a guy as good as Durant play alongside him and still think he is the alpha I am going to have to call BS on this Westbrook comparison.

So you are willing to chuck out KPJ for the Green at pg experiment because you think JG will be a better pg because why?

What has JG shown you that makes you think he would not have the same issues?

When has JG been so much better breaking down a defense, and when has he even shown flashes of being a capable playmaker?

The Rockets have no great shooters to open up the lane and Westbrook had Durant its amazing the vitriol KPJ gets and this comparison to Westbrook is really reaching.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

No, turnovers aren’t all the same. An offensive foul is not the same as having the ball taken from you that leads directly to a fast break layup. A bad pass out of bounds is not the same as a bad pass right to a defender jump starting a fast break. Jumping in the air with no where to go is not the same as getting stripped when driving into the paint. Turnovers are never good, but sometimes they are really bad.

And it makes plenty of sense. One guy turns it over at a much higher rate than the other. No one is going to be turnover free if they have the ball a lot, but at a certain level people are going to start griping about it, especially when the scoring and assisting output isn’t evening things out. If KPJ was averaging 8-9 assists and scoring 20+ with a lot better efficiency I would imagine there would be a lot less b****ing about the turnovers.

clutchdabear and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, I thought you were being sarcastic. Wanting to take him out of the lineup is a first for you. And I didn't think you were for assessing the rest of the issues. I thought you were talking about those who disagree with you to have a "perspective."

Anyway, there nothing wrong with fans being disappointed with a player and say how much he sucks. 90% of the people are saying Jabari sucks. 99% of the people are saying Nix sucks. Why don't you go and white knight there. Why are you so invested in KPJ when you claim to be an objective Rockets fan?

AroundTheWorld and clutchdabear like this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

With as much as the Rockets have done for him he should be willing to accept 6th man role. But really im cool if they trade him away altogether.

I just dont see him as an important piece moving forward so i wouldnt be willing to bend over backward trying to find the right role for him.

I think the rockets realize this based on the way his contract is structured.

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you say so.:rolleyes:

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I never said all to's are the same nice strawman what I am saying is that Green also has a to issue and he has just has just as bad of to's as KPJ and don't get me started with Gordon.

The guy has yet to play 200 NBA games and we are trying to say he should be averaging 8-9 assist with this roster and scoring 20+?

If he was doing that he would be a max player and only maybe 10 guys can do that in the entire NBA, so should we just be chasing that guy?

15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You would hope so but he's not exactly the beacon of maturity.

Exactly. You aren't going to win with him starting. He could be helpful as a 6th man.

No question. They were not willing to commit to him long term for a reason

16. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

Agree, addition by subtraction. He has never been in a winning environment and he’s not stable. You want stability and accountability from your star players and he hasn’t shown that, better to deal with him early and move on with the rebuild. He ain’t worth the headache.

clutchdabear and King1 like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Two very bad games for KPJ - and he is regressing in the 4th to ME ball over TEAM ball.

I hate that our coaches just seem to want to let them figure it out rather than holding them accountable......it is much slower development.

DD

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Good for you. You finally get something to celebrate. I have no issues whatsoever eating crow and I will never feel bad about trying to support any player on this team. I dont operate in a realm of negativity and get fulfilment from trashing any other human on this planet. Do you bud, this is YOUR time!

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its not about "feeling better" .. this was never an ego trip for me. I genuinely want the TEAM to succeed and feel that KPJ could be a vital part of that. Hard to keep going to that well when nothing seems to be working in his favor so a change is needed for the sake of the team. I'll be front and center hoping that a "true/pure" PG will help this team return to contention.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I tend to notice kpj gans tend to treat him like he's a rookie or someone who haven't played long. Man is a freaking vet and should b held to a higher standard than the youngster. We have a poster complaining y folks are more harsher on kpj turnovers when a Jalen green turn over the ball also.

Some even had the gall to compare kpj turnovers to hardens. Jeezus christ.

clutchdabear and King1 like this.