1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That is a very low bar for a player.

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

we are stuck. you can't bench KPJ because i'm not sure he's mentally capable of accepting that demotion. he's very fragile and volatile.

we can only hope Silas can get through to him to pass the ****ing ball. or some team decides they like what they see from KPJ (possible tank commander??). Right now there is no doubt that KPJ is hurting Green and Jabari get looks and that hurts our development.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think its time that KPJ has himself a Jae Sean boo boo to the ankle that keeps him out a few weeks so that everyone can get an extended look how the team plays without him. Which player would then become the patsy?

Erbnwarfare and jiggyfly like this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's true. I was happy to see the contract terms. But as the season goes on, I am more and more convinced that they won't give up on KPJ easily. If he put up decent numbers, even if it comes from inefficiency, they are very likely going to kick in the team options.

flamingdts and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's incredibly frustrating to watch him, his decision making is horrendous. He dribbles with his head down all the time and misses wide open guys, like KJ Martin on a fastbreak.

He's in his fourth year, we should be seeing tangible improvements by now. I'm not sure he'll ever be a player that isn't negatively impacted by frustration of something going wrong during the game.

clutchdabear, King1, LeDakota and 2 others like this.
  6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is a straw man dude. Nobody thinks this team would be good without kpj. You really think anyone on here believes we would be winning games if we had daishen nix or Josh Christopher playing instead of him?

King1 and Easy like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL Yes! A RESOUNDING yes! Cmon man go visit the game threads for the last two games! I had been out of town, but catching up on them is like a funeral. Everyone is unhappy with his play and the resulting losses are easily laid at his feet. So just take him out. Watch how the team plays without him - it might be what is necessary in order to move the rebuild along.

Strawman? So if you guys get what you want in removing him from the lineup its a strawman? JFC talk about damned if you do damned if you dont!

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think Green, Garuba, Sengun are all better passers (with better court vision and less inclination to hold on to the ball and put the head down and barrel towards the basket) than KPJ.

Green, Bari or KMJ, Tari, Garuba, Sengun would be a lineup where the ball would never get sticky.

clutchdabear and King1 like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are grasping straws just to defend your boy. I thought you were predicting he was going to have a break out season. Now you are moving the goal post, which you have been accusing people of doing.

News to you: Only a few people here really hate KPJ. A lot of us critics actually want him to be good. Just don't think he is the guy you want to give him the key.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You people are insufferable. Im over here AGREEING that he needs to be taken out of the lineup to assess the rest of the issues with the team and try to gain an important perspective and all you can do is hold on to your flowers? Do you want a cookie for saying he would not reach the lofty expectations some of us thought he would? Congratulations! Maybe if Stone would just consult with you this whole rebuild would go smoother and quicker yeah? (now THATS a Strawman for those confused :rolleyes:)

News? Spare me. When 80% of the posts here are about how much KPJ "sucks" the only people enjoying logical fallacies are those that are now trying to gaslight as quasi supporters. Stick to your guns. You should be happy. A very real supporter of his and one who held some high hopes for him becoming an integral part of this team is starting to see the other side and yet still more of the same toxic exchanges and BS views of moving goalposts. You grown ass insecure men just love to argue about nothing at times.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

No it's his selfishness, COMPLETE lack of SELF discipline and awareness on both ends of the floor.

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I know your a "KPJ Warrior", but after everything you've seen you still think he should be starting? You do not see the screaming negative impact he's having on everyone else?

clutchdabear and King1 like this.
  13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I think some of the things he doesn't do well can be fixed with a different coach.

He strengths are his mid range jumper and the three point shot...

He clearly doesn't have the court vision of a true PG. Probably best to use him as sixth man when we need some shots to go at a 2 or 3, not as PG

KPJ doesnt pout anymore, so theres some improvement. He still has too many TOs and thats something he needs to improve asap

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I definitely don't want him removed from the lineup. And if these posts exist and people are saying that explicitly, fair enough, I haven't seen them. The point I was trying to make is that the following things can both be true at the same time -

1) KPJ is underperforming expectations and playing poorly.

2) This is a talent poor roster that would be losing regardless. KPJ's potential replacements are even worse than he is, so even if he were benched, or removed from the team entirely, we would be just as bad or worse.

This is where I'm at. I get the frustration, but I'm totally fine giving him the rest of the season to improve. Whether he is or isn't a PG, or should be a 6th man, or whatever else people are saying, isn't really relevant right now. Given the current roster, there is nothing we can do to change it. So, we can continue to vent and be disappointed, but it's not like we'd start winning if Daishen Nix was starting and playing 35 mpg with high usage or anything.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think KPJ is looking at too much Social media. It's on Clutchfans, it's on Twitter, it's on YouTube, he can't avoid it!

He's looking at what's being said about him and every time he makes a bad pass or miss a shot, the pressure builds....you can clearly see, it's getting to him, it's in his head!

He was good last yr, and during the preseason, however I think last night we saw a culmination of recent bad play, pressure and too much listening to OUTSIDE noise.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'd like you to meet Russell Westbrook. The difference between KPJ and Westbrook though was Russ' ability to finish at the rim when he was in his prime. That's the biggest issue for KPJ because it always leads to a fast break every time your lead guard drives to the rim, bricks a layup, and then falls on the floor (4 on 5 fast break... easy 2).

Alot of boneheaded plays, turnovers, and broken offensive schemes that he ignores, and audibles to him or Jalen iso'ing, but if I could fix one thing it would be to either stop going to the rim, or improving around the rim. You can get away with a bonehead as your PG if they are good at finishing at the rim, and the defense has to collapse in to protect the rim which opens up shooters.

This is why all thing considering... let's just try to make Jalen Green the point guard. It'll be capital U UGLY for awhile with turnovers, but it's our best best at finally having a gameplan for breaking down the defense, and opening up some offensive flow.

King1 likes this.
  17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Obviously not but KPJ is a losing player. He plays for himself. He's not even playing defense this year. He belongs coming off the bench. I don't even think you can defend him. Remember how this was going to be glorious when KPJ made us all eat crowded? Well looks like you're going to have a feast

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

We will still suck but at least he won't be hindering the development of other young players. Please take him out. We agree on that

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I don't think any rational person believes this.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Removing him from pg duty and letting someone else run offense will make it more pleasing to watch and help Smith get easier shots.

We ain't winning regardless but kpj ain't making anyone better on the team aside from himself.

Nix ain't the answer either if that makes u feel better about how folks feel about kpj.