1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Eh, I still view KPJ a lot more positively than Wood. KPJ is just not being utilized properly and that's coaching fault.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't worry, the Warriors wouldn't trade him for KPJ. I don't even think KPJ could get minutes on the Warriors.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly now that I heard Silas saying he is playing off ball too much, I realize Silas is the idiot in this equation rather than KPJ. No one has ever questioned a coach who asked them to hog the ball more.

To answer OP's question: because when you watch the game you see how and when the stats were accumulated and that matters.

For example, you can score 21 but you might have been able to generate 25 points for other players (theoretically). If you don't pass it to them and end up averaging more points than players around you, that's not impressive. The impressive thing is to make the best play when you have the ball most of the time. If you're the PG, that matters a lot. That's the context in which people are upset with his play. I'm watching countless better shots disappear while he dribbles the ball to get the same shot he had 5 seconds into the clock.

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

It is apparent that he isn’t it. He can score 25 a game and it does not matter when the team’s offense isn’t flowing. The Rockets half court sets are unbearable to watch. But I question Stone’s rebuild without any vet leadership and guidance besides EG. Most of these young successful teams inject vet presence in a mixture of old and young to teach winning habits or savvy techniques etc. what’s green really learning from KPJ or the other young guys and vice Versa?

aaquaa likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What makes you think criticism of Porter Jr. equates to "hatred?" I'm hardly the only member who thinks he's better suited playing as an off-guard or "wing" rather than the role he's been put into. I see a very talented player with "issues" when it comes to temperament, issues well under control this season (a major plus, long may it last), who is the proverbial square peg crammed into a round hole, in my opinion.

Kevin, particularly taking into account his new contract, is an asset to this team. Not, however, as a one, a point guard, again in my opinion. It's an opinion I had last season and my opinion hasn't changed. There is no "hatred" coming from me towards the fellow, much less "immense" hatred. I think how I feel towards him describes how a large majority of those who see Kevin being placed into the wrong role on the Rockets feel. Not hatred. Opinion.

Since Jalen Green is clearly our star two guard for the foreseeable future (thank goodness!), the obvious role for Kevin Porter Jr. is as our 6th man. @Williamson may not like that idea (and sorry Josh!), but many of us see that as the perfect spot for Kevin in our rotation. No hatred there, just an opinion that makes good sense.

clutchdabear and Stephen_A like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We want him to be a PG, which means you run the offense and make sure everyone is in their spots. You look for yours second, make sure everyone else is eating first. KPJ will always have a chance to score because he is the one initiating the offense the majority of the time thus he has the ball most of the time. I don't intend to compare KPJ to Harden, because Harden is an all time great, but Harden had the ability to get others involved while also getting his shots in the flow of the game. He set up other players to be successful and drove this team to success because he understood how to balance that out. Harden wasn't even a PG when he came to the Rockets and was not given that role until Mike D was hired. This is with Harden being a heavy iso player, but if KPJ will ever work for our team, he has to become something similar or we have to find another player that can do this for us while we move KPJ to SF or to a 6th man role.

KPJ is a talented scorer, can shoot, has very good handles, can get to the rim, looks to be developing a decent mid-range game, etc. I'm excited about his future and hope that he keeps his head straight. I have a problem with him making poor decisions when running the team.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Has the fan base ever questioned if the team would actually be better off without KPJ dominating the ball?

Is it possible he's legitimately the most talented playmaker on the team and the offense would be even more dysfunctional without the offense running through him?

Corrosion likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He had a legion of fans who wouldn't shut the hell up about him, so now the universe has spawned anti-KPJ NPCs to match.

Let's not forget that this place has had mini-battles about such virtuosos as Terrence Williams and James White over the years. KPJ drops a couple of 25-10 games? Fuggetaboutit.

Also the coaching staff is grooming him for a role he isn't ideally suited to. Perfect storm!

aaquaa and Stephen_A like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

How do you think he should be used? I do put the onus on Silas as well with the strategy he’s employed. I maintain he isn’t a starter in this league but better as a 2 guard on the bench for instant offense. And if he is to play starting point or any point he needs to learn to defer and look for team mates. Simplify his game. Stop forcing the issue. I think he can be very successful in this league if this happens. But that might come with age and the right system.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Bench as a sixth man or force more set plays to assist his playmaking abilites. Kpj needs to have some control or structure to the offense. Currently silas is trying to copy McHale by letting his harden aka kpj create offense on the fly. This isn't working well since kpj doesn't have the offensive prowess yet, court vision or passing ability.

aaquaa and Stephen_A like this.
  11. maj21

maj21 Member

What true point do we have in the NBA besides CP3. Ja, Steph, Trae, Kyrie, Vanvleet, Dame, just to name some are all scorers that average over 20 ppg and look for their shots a lot. KPJ is no different, just not in that level as of right now. Boston made it to the finals with Smart running the point lol

DaDakota likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Is this an honest question? Maybe I'm reading it wrong because I am usually a fan of your posts. I'd ask the same in reverse. Are people NOT questioning if the team could be better off without KPJ dominating the ball?

Porter is a very well-rounded player but that doesn't make him an ideal PG. The offense would get more dysfunctional if we put in Boban or Eason at PG, yes. However last year with mediocre PG Schroder on the floor it was night and day to see how a player with point guard vision can impact flow.

13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, a player MUCH BETTER than KPJ.

aaquaa, King1 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  14. keeez

keeez Member

He isn't our whipping boy or scapegoat.

KPJ just signed a long term contract (a very cautious one) and has been asked to be a leader on this team. Why is anyone surprised that one of the leaders on the team, playing one of the most important roles, is drawing more attention and criticism? It comes with the territory.

I am rooting for KPJ, but the whole "he's putting up great numbers" argument never holds much ground with me. Westbrook averaged a triple double for a season, but would you say he plays consistent "winning basketball"?

Watching the games, you can see his flaws are apparent, he tends to over-dribble, he misses open shooters, and often leaves his feet without a plan. Having said that -- everyone on this team has their flaws. I know it gets said 100x times daily, but we're a young team and the key to this season is improvement. As long as he doesn't regress into just an iso ball chucker, we're on the right path.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Yeah, as does Green. But Jabari is a rookie in his first week and Green only in his second year, that’s why they are not criticized as much. But as I said, KPJ is also still learning and I am totally fine with giving him time. He is already deserving of his new big contract.

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

But that’s KPJ’s strengths is to play free and score. Issue is he isn’t a structured guy and you can’t force a player to be what he isn’t at this level. But i agree he is a 6th man. No more dribbling bullshi+ just shoot or drive. No creating.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah legit question.

We don’t have a Schröder anymore, I’d like if we did have another talented playmaker, but I think its clear Green should be the smallest player on the court for defensive purposes. KPJ is a rare large player who is capable of giving you 6+ assist with a 2-1 A/TO ratio like he did last season

Corrosion likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

My question is why would any of us expect Silas to coach any different if his entire career has been based on developing heliocentric players? Lebron, Steph, Luka etc... He may not be the best coach for this job, but he's doing what he's always done. Trying to find "that guy" who can run the 3&D guard attack style. I dont think KPJ is the type of guy who you should mold an offense around by any means, but what are the other options? Jabari cant create for himself. Sengun cant create for himself. Tari? Your frontline player needs to be able to eat before he can set the table for others and with such a young team that guy hasnt manifested yet if ever.

Before the torches and pitchforks come out - I would prefer a team oriented approach where everyone touches the ball and X amount of passes need to be made before a shot goes up, but how can there be a realistic compromise with this core group and coach? Im not sure Silas knows any other way.

https://nbacoaches.com/stephen-silas/#:~:text=Coach Silas played an integral,State (2009-2010).

Dobbizzle likes this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

My point is that we all gotta have the mindset that all of these guys need to improve, that’s all I’m saying

20. maj21

maj21 Member

He’s better defensively than KPJ, that’s it

RocketsDraftTV likes this.