1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What the holy **** is this?

So now the numbers don't matter and we want him to be a traditional pg when they are being phased out?

And on top of that we won?

This guy:rolleyes:

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I never thought of that, and it really is that simple.

WOW!

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the 4 game sample size you used is a much better measuring stick. :rolleyes:

aaquaa likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Green is not our PG. Green is our scorer. Granted he also needs to be finding Jabari, but ultimately KPJ is the one responsible for setting up our whole offense. I don't expect him to be CP3, but I do want more ball movement and less hero ball. KPJ is going to get his in the flow of the offense. Maybe it's coach's fault for not instilling a good offensive system, but right now it is dreadful to watch.

5. maj21

maj21 Member

Jalen also takes really bad shots sometimes too. All scorers take bad shots, that’s just what comes with it. KPJ plays PG, but he’s a scorer

jcmoon, Dobbizzle and jiggyfly like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That was out in article some time ago. When I have time, I'll go find it, unless @J.R. can help me out here.

7. MystikArkitect

After listening to the Rockets Chop Shop I came to the realization that the "KPj is a core piece" fan club is probably like....6-8 dudes. They're just loud as hell.

aaquaa, jcmoon, Richie_Rich and 6 others like this.
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Of course it’s not. But I’d bet money KPJ ends up with higher PPG, 3 pt %, and rebound numbers at the end of the year.

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

Because his playing style is aimed toward looking good and not necessarily helping the team overall, which is Ok because a lot of players do that, the problem is our dumb ass coach thinks it is a great idea to put a player with a playstyle like this in the position of a point guard, KPJ listens to his coach which results in stagnant ISOheavy offense, missing open teammates, benching Sengun and other stuff. People don't watch this team to watch KPJ dribble solely. Which is very cool, and I like it, but there is time for this and there is time for normal play

aaquaa, jcmoon, Crashlanded19 and 3 others like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Still does not matter if Smith is so wide open.

KPJ is a combo guard and is in his 3rd full year playing lets see how it plays out.

He is currently the best ballhandler and playmaker on the team and might be the best scorer yet for some reason we want him to mainly look to set other players up?

Why?

He is becoming a Jrue Holiday type and we out here b****ing.

Plowman, DaDakota and maj21 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still could not find to this day why USC gave up on him.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who the **** is Rockets Chop Shop and why should we care what they think?

13. Risingred

Risingred Member

KPJ is one the best players in this team but he hasn't been utilized the right way. Take away the ball from him and make him a spot up shooter, he'll be the fan favorite years to come. We need a true PG, and both KPJ and Green are not a true PG. Is it so difficult to comprehend? The year we were so close to the championship in the recent years was the year we had CP3 and Harden. Let say KPJ can develop into Harden, but we still need a true PG like CP3, not to mention the chances of KPJ developing into Harden are not that great. As good as Steph Curry, he doesn't always have the ball on his hands. Yesterday our team was just sloppy (so as the Jazz), I know many people are so positive that seeing improvements on our players. I like the improvements but only improvements don't get you to the promise land. You need to put the right personnel to the right position and run some plays. If you think we can win a championship by playing 1 to 5 basketball every possession, I'm pity on you.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So according to jigglyfly, with a small sample size of 3-4 games
    Out of 74 centers and for this season currently. ALL of sengun stats should b ranked 37th or less which makes him below average no?

Defensive rebound: 24th
    Offensive rebound: 9th
    Free throws: 40th
    3pt percentage: 24th
    Field goal percentage: 28th
    Total points: 19th
    Assist: 37th
    TO: 11th
    Steal: 18th
    Block: 24th
    +/-: 39th

Some xtra stats
    EFG% 95th out of 403
    TS 118th out of 403
    Player impact estimate 69th out of 403

Im quite confident that this statement was just pulled out of jigglyfly's ass to slander sengun.

Of course there's advance metric and whatnot, but why go further when just these stats reject the notion that ALL metrics have sengun at below average.

Didn't have to do it, but some folks need to be reminded to not pull sht out of their ass and have some form of data to back it up. ALL metrics pffft. Such a small sample size and already using it to justify calling sengun below average.

Im honestly not too well verse with using the metrics, but im can trust my eyes to see that Sengun isn't a below average player.

My apologizes for derailing the thread discussion with Sengun talks. but it's a common occurrence when folks criticize KPJ, the kpj stans have to attack/bring down another player to prop up KPJ

Feel free to counter @jiggyfly with your set of "all data" that somehow paints Sengun as below average. Folks will b waiting.

#74 DatRocketFan, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

Typical American way of thinking - bigger, faster = better. But it's European player we are speaking of... Luka, Jokic, Nurkic etc.... All of them are slow white boys who can't jump

aaquaa likes this.
  16. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Big deal. I'm more impressed with players that contribute to winning basketball. KPJ is just out to "get his."

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Too much holding the ball. Not enough passing and facilitating finding players and making the game overall easier for everyone while making players better. We talked about decision making as a PG in the other threads and a team’s lack of movement sometimes is caused by iso play. The offense doesn’t flow with KPJ. And it was mentioned that he plays like a 2 guard and that’s where we are at. 2 SG in the backcourt.

aaquaa, Crashlanded19 and kubli9 like this.
  18. maj21

maj21 Member

And add the coaching staff, front office, and Tillman to that list too ;)

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This is such a silly argument. Poole is winning because he’s on the Warriors. That’s it. He wouldn’t help us win jack here.

CDrex, jiggyfly and Dobbizzle like this.
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Empty buckets just like empty calories. Looks good smells good but in reality not much significance. KPJ’s game doesn’t ultimately lead to winning or is sustainable. Good enough for a game or two but not in the marathon.

#80 Stephen_A, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    aaquaa and AroundTheWorld like this.