1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

People also have to keep in mind about making the Rockets a desirable franchise to sign on to.

You want to attract the best quality coaches and veterans? They are doing a hard pass if they believe KPJ is going to be the starting pg for next season.

You will hear the national media cry before the draft lottery about how Wemby needs to avoid Houston because of KPJ. And they are partially right. KPJ would be bad for Wemby if the only role for KPJ here is starting pg. Hell the amount of bad coverage Houston will get could reach a situation where Wemby's crew demands a trade if the Rockets get a number 1 pick and I bet you the national media will support the Wemby camp.

2. Ancient Moabite

It will basically be another Mobley type situation if this actually becomes of Wemby's crew demands, just on national media hyped roids/microscope

Even Stone wouldn't be that stoned in the mind to let his prized trade prospect KPJ be the reason Wemby wouldn't want to be drafted by Rockets, he would trade or release him ASAP if that comes to fruition

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

What makes you think KPJ is to toxic? I don’t live in Houston. Does the local media report on him often? I haven’t heard of anything detrimental about KPJ in the national media. Perhaps I should start by reading this thread. But I’m lazy.

edit: well, just read that Nook post and, if true, okay that’s damning. But how true is it? When did these actions occur? Really, nobody reported on the dysfunction? I only heard these rumors on CF and Twitter — no reputable or legit reporters (that I came across). Last year his antics were reported on. Again, I don’t live in Hou so maybe local radio/TV talk about it. And admittedly I am not as prolific a CF reader these days. Maybe I am just living under a rock?

either way, I do want a more traditional point guard. So perhaps the point (if there was one somewhere in that ramble) is moot.

#5683 Kevooooo, Apr 10, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

See my sig. @Nook is highly credible.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ is their whipping boy and since his performance has been so good lately, they've had to go with a narrative that can't be disproven based on innuendo and "people tell me he was mean to a random staffer once" type BS.

By all accounts KPJ is a very good teammate that is well liked by players on his team and across the league....but since they have nothing else to go on, that's the best they came up with.

maj21 likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you calling @Nook a liar?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not at all, I'm saying I don't buy in to what others have made out of his story.

KPJ might be a dick to random staffers or whatever, but they aren't the people who matter, the players are and from all accounts he's well liked by his teammates and by players across the league. Players are going to have "run-ins" at practice, they almost never actually mean anything. Hell Kobe was an absolute ******* to all of his teammates basically every practice...it's just how he was.

Like I said, you are invested in a narrative that you want to be true because all of your other narratives have been disproven or are no longer valid.

Does he have maturity issues? Sure....but a lot of players do. Something tells me you wouldn't be throwing your tampon at Sengun if he had a "run in" at practice or was a dick to a random nobody.

8. Ancient Moabite

If you don't buy what he is saying about KPJ then what makes you buy the Kobe related stories?

Pretty sure Kobe first few years he wasn't doing that because of a vet/Shaq led squad would put him in his place as reported in the past

Now post Shaq-era and having few rings and being undisputed leader on that squad I could see Kobe being like that toward his mates, as S Parker and others mentioned in past years

Basically if we weren't there to witness it then everything is a narrative created, but where there is smoke.....there is either a arson type or wildfire brewing, it is what it be

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We're running into a reading comprehension problem here, I'm not saying the stories are false, I'm saying I'm not buying the narrative that is being built on them.

When it comes to Kobe, he was absolutely doing that kind of BS from the start....and maybe you forget that it was Kobe who pushed Shaq out of LA....

Hyper competitive players often have spats at practice, it's not abnormal and it's not typically even a bad thing. I seriously feel like I'm talking to people who never played sports when they go on with ridiculous nonsense like this.

What IMO is happening here is that you have a data set, you can pick certain things out of that and craft a narrative with it by implying those few data points mean more than they really do, or ignore context to push a narrative. Was KPJ mean to a random nobody at some point? Yeah, probably....but does that really mean anything substantive? There's certainly no evidence of it.

10. Ancient Moabite

So if you are not buying the narrative then what are you saying about the story that came from the narrative(story) isn't true?

You communicate quite well but can't seem to comprehend your own replies

Kobe ran Shaq off after 8 years and winning few rings and Shaq being out of shape and voiced his frustration toward the end which is what I mentioned in earlier reply because Kobe first few seasons was him getting his feet wet and no player on earth who just turned 18yrs old avg 7 and 15ppg first two seasons is going to be talking trash to established vets, if you actually played competitive high level bball you would know that off top

By his fourth season he may have start feeling himself getting around 28ppg

Controlled hyper competitive players usually take it out on the opposing competition, nothing wrong with being competitive in practice but you don't cross lines with your mates because it could lead to that Poole/Green incident or how they claimed Jordan choked Kerr or how it was said Shaq slapped Kobe in practice

You are definitely talking to someone who has played sports

We can look at all stories being pushed as having an agenda, we wasn't there for the Kobe incident with that girl and other stories put out in other sports

I was just asking you why do you believe the Kobe narrative but not the KPJ, which to me they are on equal foot as narratives (stories) being pushed

And we would have to be there to actually know what is happening, you know the seeing with your own ''eye test''

Its why I rock with the old saying when analyzing these stage shows....

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see, until further notice

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Here we are with another reading comprehension failure.

I told you that I don't disbelieve the stories....I don't buy the narrative that was spun as a result of the stories.

I could tell a story about how you got a speeding ticket once and spin that into a narrative about how you are a lawless menace to society....the story about the speeding ticket can be true while the BS narrative spun from it can be wrong.

I honestly don't know of a more simple way to spell that out to you.

12. Ancient Moabite

But then I would show you and others how speeding isn't against the law/arrestable offense from their own supreme court case rulings

Plus getting a so called speeding ticket would be more menacing/reckless if there was a injured party, so no harm no foul, I would make the narrative run for the hills

A narrative is a story, a story spun to come away with the same story is some pretty good story spinning

If I was KPJ I would make those in the media showcase Some receipts, especially since it has been out there that he is being a quasi menace behind the scenes

Did you buy the narrative when he was acting up allegedly in Cleveland and with USC? Or did they remix that as well to make KPJ look like a lawless menace II society?

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If you don't believe what the media is saying about kpj, just declare its all fake news and bury your head in the Sand like booby. That way u can keep believing that kpj is the poor victim, whipping boy and everybody is just hating on him.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You dont throw this away because of feelings and emotions. You find a way to make it work.

16. fchowd0311

Seems like a good shooting guard who can't make passes to the corner three.

Nook likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Who on this team is hitting corner 3's?

18. fchowd0311

We have the fewest attempts in the league and both our guards are notorious for not being able to make reads to the corner. They only can make reads to the immediate roll man or the 3 pt shooter right next to them.

Green has an excuse as a second year shooting guard. KPJ is a pg. Those are reads he's supposed to make as a starting pg in the NBA.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right, but as a passer do you just keep throwing it out there for a missed shot "just because" ??? KPJ is the best corner 3 pt shooter on the team (49%!!!) followed by Eason (37%) as mainstays on the roster. It takes two to tango. Give this team a consistent 3 pt shooter from that spot and you would see more passes going there.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member